Originally Posted by Turnbull
Originally Posted by Capri

Why wouldn't Tess have gone along with upgrade, to “their own "family"

Both Tess and Clem wanted to form their own family or families. But since there's no such thing as a co-Donship, they'd either have had to split up the "Olive Oil Busness" between them, or fought it out with only one survivor. Either scenario would have made Barzini stronger

I too reckon it is not quite “co-Donship”
They were already separate and independent of each other with their own separate territories
They would just continue the same but now as Don Clemenza and Don Tessio with their own separate Family

Originally Posted by Turnbull

As we saw, Michael wanted to continue to ,NYC, and Clemenza went along with it. Tessio never would have. The fishtank scene showed that he had no confidence in Michael. That's why he betrayed Michael. Also, the novel tells us that Vito kept Tess on a long leash--unlike Clemenza, he didn't live at The Mall, and Vito liked it that some outside the family thought Tessio was an independent operator--the better to hide Vito's true strength. No way was Tess going to accept being under Michael's long-distance thumb from Neada.

I reckon Tessio would have gone along with it Just go along, everything will be alright, Sally

While his lack of confidence in Michael only because Barzini's people chisel his territory and he did nothing about it, not up to the job, he still should have been a friend to Michael, and did as he said
No doubt Disloyalty no excuse irrespective that he had no confidence in Michael. Tessio's fatal mistake

1. Isn't the "Olive Oil Busness" just a front to launder their money?
2. Did Clemenza live at The Mall? I thought he lived away with his wife in their own house