Originally Posted by southshorekid
Originally Posted by RushStreet
If Hollywood portrayed Mobsters the way the are in real life, you wouldn't have people glamourizing them as much as they do.

Its not what the movies make them out to be. Many are low life scumbags just like your run of the mill gangbanger. Most are ugly as fuck and don't have any fashion sense whatsoever, and don't really give a fuck about that. Also most are broke living in apartments and not million dollar mansions. The Mob Life is only profitable for the bosses and being an average soldier doesn't mean jack shit. The Mob is far different than it was in the 1950's and 1960's, or even the 1970's.

I'll use an example. Back then if you walked into a restaurant or club , you got VIP service no questions asked. Nowadays? Forget about it. It doesn't guarantee you jack shit because no one gives a fuck about the mob anymore.

I couldn’t agree more. I’m younger then a lot of the posters here to give my observations some context I’m talking about the late 90s and later. Staten Island and Jersey. Except for a handful of old timers I knew or was related to growing up (that are long dead), most of the guys in the life that I’ve met are scumbags. Most of them were broke or middle class at best. And they were jeans and t shirt kinda guys. More often then not they were heavy drinkers, into drugs, or were degenerate gamblers . Or all three. And they gossip and complain about people nonstop. Have drama over women or petty bullshit nonstop. The guys who acted and dressed the part were usually barely connected gym rats who just liked to get into bar fights. Philly guys I’ve met are a different animal from NY and they are actually more down to earth in my opinion. I’ve been to many weddings at Russos on the Bay. I’ve seen that side of it too. But in general, from my experience the life is nothing like the movies. At least not in the last 25 years.

Happy we see eye to eye on this. Let me add, the women who are in relationships with mobsters are some of the most fucked up people you could ever have a relationship with. Not every one of them but there are quite a few that are just nuts. They refuse to branch out and create relationships with anyone outside of the little clique they have in the neighborhood they live in and they are ok with being abused physically and mentally day in and day out. Lets just say they are not marriage material or the type that you want to introduce to your mother. Many have huge coke problems and would suck cock for a hit of crack or a line. Problem with this is that they do it with a random dude and he ends up in the ER because their man finds out about it. I'll gladly stay far away from getting involved in that shit.

Last edited by RushStreet; 08/05/22 02:54 PM.