Originally Posted by Liggio
Of course it's not going to be like the movies anymore, because they can't be so blatant about it anymore in today's Surveillance State. But if you're judging their financial status by the clothes they wear, that's just ignorant. Billionaires like Bill Gates dress like shit, they look like they shop at the Salvation Army. Cosa Nostra boss Bernardo Provenzano sat on top of the entire Sicilian Mafia yet was found in a dilapidated farmhouse, Ndrangheta bosses are found all the time in underground bunkers living like rats. Chin Gigante stumbled around in a bathrobe and slippers. On the flip-side, you have guys wearing high fashion but are neglecting their utility bills. These things really mean nothing.

I don’t know what was in their safe or their bank account. But most of them complained about money all the time. They were always “robbing Peter to pay Paul” borrowing from this guy to pay off this other guy. Most of the time the money they have on the street is somebody else’s too and they just make a spread by borrowing cheaper than lending it out. I’ve met captains but never really knew one so I dunno that might be a different level.