Bonanno was the the better boss of the two. Both Bonanno and Profaci were greedy, those of their inner circle were rewarded better than other crew and spoke more fondly of their bosses compared to other crews in the families.
Profaci was the most violent of the two bosses. Profaci had a lot of sway on the Commission, until the Newark family fiasco, then Joe Bonanno had alot more prestige on the Commission, by 1959 their prestige on the Commission wand do to alliances taking place, even before Appalachian, Bonanno was losing power with other bosses going behind his back in some situations, even Profaci was having problems. Bonanno also had more respect throughout the US, Sicily, Canada, and Europe. As for who made the most money, that is hard to know for sure, but if we just go by legitimate income it would be Bonanno this includes businesses that they own or were partnered in, not together but with other members or people. You can point to Profaci owning the Colavita Oil Company which made a lot of money, but Bonannos portfolio was larger than Profaci.
Gambino and Lucchese did suggested to Profaci that he should step down which infuriated Profaci, which also made Bonanno, Joe Zerilli, Joe Cerrito and another boss mad.
On the Bonanno internal fighting, it is interesting cause alot of families were divided on Joe Bonanno. There are wiretaps, as well as informants who told their views thinking they were bug free or the guys they were talking to could be trusted. Boston and New Jersey are good examples of following Gambino, Lucchese, and Magaddino lead. The Genovese and Wisconsin families are a lot more interesting in this as they were divided, also the fact the Wisconsin family off Chicago messenger before he could finish what he was saying spoke volumes on that family. Sign of disrespect but also that they would hold their own council on the matter. Bonanno was able to retire and still have contacts with some of the other families around the country, but I have not seen anything to say he was active in those families activities after his retirement.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green