This is so very hard. I wouldn't want to trade places with any of the folks involved. As a mother, I can understand the parent's feelings. I would give anything under the sun for another minute with my child. Even if I suspected that she didn't know it was me, just to be able to stroke her face or kiss her cheek, I would gladly surrender whatever anybody wanted. Not just for another day with her, or another hour, but even another second. That's the strength of a parent's love.

However, I can also understand her husband. He is a young man. She has lingered this way for 15 years. It must be heartbreaking. She was a beautiful young girl. To see her reduced to this level is pain I can't imagine.

Maybe he doesn't want to sign over her guardianship because legally, as her husband, the courts usually place the spouse in the position to make these decisions. Maybe he truly believes that this is what she would've wanted and wants to fight for her to die with what he sees as some scrap of dignity.

As for the conflicting testimony regarding her status and her reaction to voices, etc., perhaps the husband is just being more objective. I think that the parents are blinded by their love for her, so maybe they see things that they want to see. I'm pretty sure I would.

That being said, I think that the evidence has shown that she is incapable of surviving. If she still can't eat on her own after 15 years, then her tube should be removed and she should be allowed to die. Seeing my father suffer before he died and being powerless to relieve his pain may have altered my opinion, but I think we owe humans the same compassionate death we would give our own dog or cat.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club