Quote:
Originally posted by Letizia B.:
What are they saying about that on CNN and stuff? I'm not being a bitch and challenging you (at least not this time )-- I seriously want to know. I haven't been watching the news, just reading the papers and stuff.
Oh I know you are not challening me nor being a bitch - you are too smart for that. :p

But seriously though, the CNN segment was probably the only segment that was more than just the standard 2 minute soundbyte where they really discussed the situation from a health standpoint, not all the legal issues. And they basically talked of what I said earlier. She is the way she is, it has been 15 years, she was deprived of oxygen when this initially happened for over 5 minutes and though the body and organs can function, which is why she is not on respirators and the such - the brain is shut down for all intent and purposes.

And to the earlier comment about the woman that was in a coma they also spoke about the difference between the two; a coma and this persistent vegetative state (or whatever it is called). With the coma that body completely shuts down, no responses, nothing, it just shuts down however that does not mean no brain activity, only no responses. In this persistent vegetative state, the body shows signs of responses at times however the brain is not functioning. I do not have a medical degree so I am not sure of all the talk of how the body responds with no brain activity etc, but they were consistent in the message there is no brain activity in this persistent vegetative state and that was pretty consistent with the few other discussions I saw or read on the medical side of it. There was really no discussions on the legality of removing the feeding tube - it was really just a discussion - from a medical point of view of her condition.

The most interesting point though, I thought and mentioned earlier was when they discussed the video where she seems to respond at times and the comment was you see these same few clips over and over because all the other times there is no response at all. I found that a very interesting comment.