Quote:
Originally posted by plawrence:

If I were in a vegetative state, I would want the plug pulled so my spouse would be able to get on with her life.
If that day comes - and it may never come - but in the event it does, can you include something that allows me permission to pull the plug ? I would like to take that opportunity and auction it off on eBay, I bet I would make a fortune. DB would probably be the second highest bidder but that is another story. :p

But to the question at hand and whether anything was written. She has been this way for 15 years, she was in her mid 20's when this happened, so how many people in their mid 20's even have a living will. My wife has said many many times that she would not want to be kept alive if she cannot survive on her own - that is not the life that she wants. And though she has let that be known many times and in some cases to others than myself, she has no living will. So if God forbide she was ever in that state I would be doing what I could to grant her wish because that is what she wanted and that is what my obligation to her would be. Why is the husband perceived as the bad guy in this? If she truly made that request he is trying to honor it, I don't see that as a negative. It is not like this has been 15 days or even 15 months, but it has been 15 years, this was not a spur decision. There was actually a good discussion on her state on CNN last night, she really has no brain function and I don't believe they have found one medical professional in the 15 years that has said she can recover. At the end of the day, no matter what - it is just a sad sad story, for I think everyone, although on opposite sides, really believe they are doing the right thing and doing what is best for Terri.

Of course on my part I let it be known to keep me going. Take me in the car, plug me into the cigarette lighter, drive me around down. Get me back in the house, sit me in the vibrating recliner plug me in and put the remote next to me. Most people probably wouldn't see much of a change though It'll be like 'Weekend at Bernie's' :p