Quote:
Originally posted by goombah:
Whether she lives or dies should be up to her family, not George Bush, not Congress, or any other group ...
You are right...the problem however, is that her family is DIVIDED on the issue. While her estranged husband insists that she should be allowed to be starved to death, her parents would like her to be allowed to live. That is why it came to this in the first place.

While I'm fairly certain the husband's motives are sincere and that that Terri might well have told him she would not want to live this way - in my opinion the fact remains that she never signed a paper stating so, never prepared a living will making her wishes known. That lack of legal documentation alone should prevent this feeding tube from ever being removed in the first place.

What is the point of a living will if someone's spouse or other closest living relative can simply say, 'Well, he/she told me once while we were watching a movie that they would never want to be kept alive in a vegetative state.'

While she's had no nutrition since Friday and time's a-wastin', I think it's absolutely right of Congress and anyone else to do whatever they can to help this woman to remain alive. For feeding a person is NOT keeping them alive via 'artificial' means. And whatever she said to hubby in the comfort of their home...she did not sign anything expressing her wishes. If she had, this story would've been over long ago.

Since air isn't being forced into her lungs, Terri is not being kept alive artifically. She can breathe on her own. She's not on life support. She is simply being fed. And she should continue to be fed until the day she dies.

Best,
AppleOnYa

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON