Originally Posted by CleanBandit
I enjoy the show - I like the acting, especially Miles Teller who's a greatly underappreciated actor and of course the Hollywood tax makes it more dramatic than it actually was, but so what? It's a show after all.

Yes, I'll agree that "it's a show."

However...

Over the years, I've read many of the books and articles dealing with how GF1 came to be, beginning with Ira Zuckerman's The Godfather Journal back in 1972. Next to that yellowing old paperback I have seven other books dealing with the film. My point is that even reading one or two of those books will give you a pretty accurate account of how everything came together, with a helluva lot of real-life drama. Incidents are described, names are named, etc.

I read the SF Chronicle article linked above. Considering the facts they had to work with, and the wealth of material that could have been mined, it baffles me as to why in the world so much so-called "artistic license" was taken with the facts in order to tell a more "dramatic" story???

Many people who have not read any books on GF1 - or seen any recorded interviews with the protagonists, living and deceased - will, more than likely, come away with the belief that The Offer is telling it totally like it was, and that's the problem, as I see it.

I keep thinking of the old saying, "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story." We may be seeing yet another example of that here.

I do not have Paramount+ because all these add-ons and streamers just cost too much, considering what we're paying for what we already receive. I had been bemoaning not being able to see The Offer, but after reading through this thread (and the linked article), I'm not moaning as loudly.

Still, if I could view the series without having to pay anything additional for it... rolleyes

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."