Turnbull:

I say that the relationship between Gotti and Gravano wouldn’t have lasted two more years even without the indictment in 90

Either Gotti would’ve taken Gravano out

Or Gravano would’ve gone after Gotti. In the latter scenario I can see sort of a miniature version of a Colombo style war breaking out in the Gambinos. Gravano with white collar loyalists - ironically, a lot of Castellano men - take out John, and the brothers, and son, which then provoke a rebellion by his hardcore followers and friends in the Family. Lasts maybe six months to a year.

I think that either way, one of the two men would’ve been dead by the end of 1992

Gotti’s ego was such he was becoming suspicious that Sammy would eventually outshine him and maybe as such move against him. And whatever admiration or affection he had had for Sammy was turning into resentment, paranoia and jealousy. And he had other made guys who were also jealous pissing in his ear. All it would take would be someone claiming Sammy was planning on a move, like what Angie did with DiB, and Sammy would be gone

For his part, I don’t think Sammy ever fully respected John. He respected his guts and his balls. But I do think the white collar part of Sammy looked down on John as an empty suit, a flashy degenerate gambler. As much as Sammy wants to play the I was a gangster card, he was as much a racketeer as Paul was. Difference is he got his hands actively dirty. But he was not from the Dellacroce street school. He was a white collar man who allied with John because it was at the time beneficial for him to do so. Before that he’d been one of Paul’s golden boys.

They were a pair of narcissists who were destined to destroy each other down the line