Originally Posted by NYMafia
Originally Posted by Big_Tuna93
Originally Posted by NYMafia
Originally Posted by BensonHURST
Detroit
Florida
New Orleans

Respectable choices IMO. For my money I like the Detroit, Pittsburgh, and Bufalino families. Many other families were bigger and stronger, and more pervasive in their operations. Some borgatas was extremely wide ranging and influential. But I picked these three because they were also very profitable, but they were also internally peaceful and never garnered the attention of LE the way some of the other crews did.

In that regard, Tampa and New Orleans also deserve honorable mention. Even the Zammuto family in Rockford, IL., was successful enough for a mention.

But other families such as the Zito family in Springfield, IL., and some of the other small crews in California and elsewhere, although quiet and peaceful just weren't substantial enough within Cosa Nostra to fall into this category IMHO.

This sounds like BS, but my father attended school with Frank Zito's children. Always spoke very highly of the family.

It's not BS as much as its just one man's opinion and viewpoint. At the end of the day it's all conjecture anyway.

Frank Zito ran a nice little family. But he wasn't national in scope, nor were he or his crew involved in any major racket operations. They were more a small quiet crew with limited local bootlegging and gambling. But was it a nice family? Definitely. Another example of an extremely small family was that of Carlo Caputo of Madison, WI, who only had a reported 10-12 members. They're footprint was minimal, yet they were still reported as a family.

I mention the other crews I did because they were more substantial, yet still flew under the radar.

But I respect everyone's opinion. As I said, it's only an opinion.

No doubt! Believe both Frank and his brother were at Apalachin. Also being from Central Illinois, as well as being someone who loves mob history, I think it's cool that Springfield, IL had a family that carried a little bit of weight. Your information and knowledge on La Cosa Nostra is fucking unreal man. Like an encyclopedia.