Originally Posted by SonnyD
Mike Coppola was the capo in Harlem and I believe Vincent Alo had a crew in The Bronx, though many believe he was under Rocco Peligrino.
And as far as I recall Dutch's rackets, particularly the Numbers, were shared between The Genovese's and the Lucchese's.

I've been able to outline a better picture of the Numbers Racket in Harlem.

During the 1920's Harlem was home of probably the most lucrative territory for the Numbers. There were several prominent bankers in those days and most had been reported to either personally be or running Million dollar operations.

Casper Holstein- known as the Bolita king and a claimant (which has been dispelled) to have invented to the Numbers game. Loosely based on Dr. Narcisse in HBO's Boardwalk Empire. He was a political activist and didn't want to fight (for publicity reason). His spoils were went between Dutch Schultz and Madam Queen St. Claire.
He was reported to be a millionaire.

Stephanie St. Claire - known as " Madam Queen" was the last hold-out banker, who opposed Schultz's takeover. Even Instigating a quasi-propaganda in newspapers against the Dutchman and a turf battle, led by her enforcer Ellsworth "Bumpy" Johnson, with 40 murders associated with the war in 1934-1935. She even attempted to bribe the Mayor and the District Attorney. Madam Queen ran into legal problems and turned her operation over to Johnson.

Jose Henry Miro- was a Puerto Rican banker who in the early 30's ran into tax problems after a raid involving policy slips. Investigations found that he deposited 1.2 million dollar in several banks across 3 years (1927-1930). This put him on the radar of Schultz. Dutch made him come in his pajamas to get strong armed for a percentage. He agreed but later fled Dutch and the tax problems. Dutch took over his bank (As a sidenote, he would later serve in WW2. Getting his legs blown off)

Big Joe Ison- he ran a bank that took larger bets and had a bad lost one day. Dutch layed off the bets, kept Jose Miro out of Isons "area" and came in for half.

Alex Pompez - was a owner of of the New York Cubans in the Negro baseball league.
He was also reportedly a millionaire banker. He was forced at gunpoint be become Schultz's partner. But was later relinquished his holdings.

Wilfred Brunder- reported to have amassed over one million 1925-1930

Others include: Marcellino Cardena, Simon "Panama" Francis and James Warner. All Said to be highly profitable bankers.

In my estimation, based on my research, this is what the Genovese's Harlem gambling empire stands on. Trigger Mike Coppola was the Caporegime in Harlem for Luciano and after Dutch Schultz's murder, Coppola took over his gambling operation and allowed the black bankers to operate independently for a percentage. As well as being the the main wholesaler of heroin in Harlem. This deal was facilitated by Bumpy Johnson. I believe, Steve LaSalle of the Gagliano-Lucchese Family, was probably cut in to this somehow being the gambling power for that Family in Harlem during that time. I have no doubts that, Heroin came in to play with them in later years.

This was a big nut for them to acquire. Dutch was really the one who saw money in the racket and his murder was more political than business (money-wise), this was a big move in the Family's history and paved the way for "FAT Tony" Salerno himself.

I hope others would add some context to this information

Last edited by Dob_Peppino; 03/03/22 09:10 PM.

"Joe Bananas went after Carlo Gambino, the war went on for seven years..... When guys go to the mattresses, they're not out earning" -Tony Soprano