Originally Posted by Turnbull
All of this is speculative, Lana, which is what makes your original question so interesting. smile

All I can say is that, IMO, the hospital drama unlocked the inner Corleone in Michael, meaning (to me) that the Sicilian Mafia fixation on "honor" and "vengeance" dwelled within Michael, and it doesn't necessarily follow a logical path. Although Michael wasn't married to Kay at that point, and had no children, he clearly loved Kay and was planning to marry her (according to the novel) soon, But, he abandoned her to protect his father and for vengeance
Sure thing Turnbull “All of this is speculative” which keeps the Board fire still burning!

We have pretty much exhausted all possible avenues, half a century on and now resorting to – not “necessarily follow a logical path” what ifs – which are still riveting! for us die-hard fans to engage in and enjoy....

I [believe along with other participating members] am just grateful someone keeps coming up with “original question so interesting” including this thread by Evita

The sequence of events starting with Michael learning of Vito's shooting, undoubtedly “unlocked the inner Corleone in Michael” including
Michael: Pop I'll take care of you now I'm with you now I'm with you

It seems once Michael learnt of Vito's shooting, Michael's girlfriend, Kay was on the outer, shut out “he abandoned her to protect his father and for vengeance” but different scenario if Michael was married to Kay at that point and/or had children

If the Corleones can't get Sollozzo, Sollozzo will get Vito and the only one who could get to Sollozzo was civilian Michael
catch-22 no-brainer! indeed