Originally Posted by Dob_Peppino

When it comes to Tartamella, I found a book called the Journymen Barber from the 1930s. It was a union book that outlined the associates across the country. The were some recognizable names coming out of Brooklyn (Di Gregorio, Oddo and other relatives I'd assume). John Tartamella went on to become Vice President of the International Barbers union. I wonder what kind of rackets/money was there.

At that point in time, the 1930s-1960s, the barbers union was very strong. Italian barbers were prominent so the industry was thriving. John half-created that union. He later merged it with another separate barbers union that only expanded and strengthened it. By the 1960s, it was renamed the Barbers & Beauty Culturist Union (Independent). As John aged, by the 1950s he had brought his son Sereno, more commonly called Bobby, in as a union official. "Bobby T" later headed that union local. It think it may have been Local #1771, but don't quote me on that.

In later years the Barbers Union lost strength and members. But back in the day they were very powerful.