Originally Posted by Zavattoni
@NYMafia; Dob_Peppino; GIacomo_Vacari

I’m enjoying your knowledge about the “old Bonanno family” Pre-1970’s….

Very interesting; I didn’t realize how powerful they were.

When I saw the Valachi Charts, I knew there was more than meets the eye. I think the fact that there isn't a good informer (soldier/aasociate who was on the street) from that time to give the details like the other Families.

This group was comparable to any powerhouse Family particularly peaking from 1947-1960. Not the most sophisticated nor were they the most organized (meaning structurally in comparison to The Luciano Genovese Family) but for a time the were definitely the closest (as far a personal relations go) and tight knit. That gets thrown around alot but it can't be understated. The blood ran deep in this borgata.
With everything revolving around Bonanno, it work for him until the empire was too spread out to work any longer.

Someone asked about Joe's Greed and a street tax? I don't know if he did the exact same thing as Profaci. I believe Bonanno's legit business portfolio and the drug trade was lucrative enough. He didn't need to be the NY boss anymore and get tribute. It was that simple. The other guys wanted to eat but I think all of them were out in deep waters playing with Tommy Lucchese and Carlo Gambino.

"Joe Bananas went after Carlo Gambino, the war went on for seven years..... When guys go to the mattresses, they're not out earning" -Tony Soprano