Originally Posted by Giacomo_Vacari
NYMafia posted about John Morale, I'll add that sitdowns in John's favor and later his rulings in sitdowns didn't make him many friends or allies on the streets. Everyone is going to lose in sitdowns but Morale won when he should not have and ruled in the wrong direction of a fair rulings. A lot of us, and one of the reasons, Asaro and Grimaldi went to Digregorio faction by 1965/66, cause they could not get a fair ruling with John Morale.

Frank Italiano wanted the top spot, when he lost he started to undermine Joe Bonanno. Joe could have killed him right there as his right, but Bonanno had respect for the Italiano family in Florida and Sicily. He also wanted his new reign a peaceful one, when those were denied to him, Joe Bonanno ordered him killed.

Rappa was killed for stealing money from the family. Joe Bonanno said he was shelved, but that was just for the book and his image to the public. Rappa stole money but most likely from one or more of Joe Bonanno personal businesses. Rappa was not killed quick and Joe Bonanno was vicious with his justice l, which is something alot of writers over look. There two meeting between Bonanno and Rappa before Rappa was killed, which leads me to believe Joe Bonanno was trying to get his money back and find a peaceful solution. I think in Joe Bonanno head he really wanted Rappa to be shelved but Rappa made it difficult and he also had to send a message to his family that he was not a weak boss, cause if they sensed he was weak, even his strongest allies in his family would have him killed and replaced.

Dilorenzo, Carmine Galante had balls just as big as Vito Genovese, but was not as smart.

Several questions:
1. Would Bonanno been better off if he made John Tartamella as consigliere in 1931 instead of Italiano?
2. What impact would Galante have on the Banana Wars if he wasn't carted of to prison?
3. Bonanno was quite a greedy boss, but did he impose the $25 monthly street tax on his men as Profaci did?