Originally Posted by NYMafia
I also think a "dark horse" candidate might have been an excellent fit as a boss for that family. If you look at their membership many were largely unrecognized as members for decades. Many were never even identified. Period!

The Bonanno's were a shadowy borgata for sure. The fact that Joe Valachi during his 1963 Senate testimony could only ID a dozen or so men also greatly helped them evade detection in future years.

Valachi came from Harlem. He never hung around Queens or Brooklyn and knew very little about who operated there. He was a Manhattan and Bronx guy. Thats why so many men from crews that operated up that way were ID'd for the feds. Typically Genovese, Gambino, and Lucchese guys.

If you notice, neither Profaci's or Bonanno's members were extensively listed. Most didn't operate the same areas Valachi did.

I have a "dark horse" Hierarchy for you NYM. It actually proved harder then meets the eye. Alot of guys dead or in jail by 1968 but here goe:

Boss: Anthony "Tony" Riela- respected guy across the board, old timer with connections to mid-west Families. Representing New Jersey, he brings "new blood" to the administration.
Underboss: (I'll go with two). Nicky "Glasses" Marangello- Good Earner
John Morales - tried and true during the Bananas War, I think he could make up for the "street presence" Marangello's lacks. (Plus Rusty was too wild)
Consiglieri: Paul Sciacca - Smart business guy and it gives a olive branch to the Long Island guys.

I think this could've been a good transition until Joe Diamond and Galante got out of jail.

GV, What was Johnny Burns Reputation on the street? Why wasn't he strong enough to either take over (meaning win gor the Bonanno side) or still be involved in the Hierarchy afterwards???

"Joe Bananas went after Carlo Gambino, the war went on for seven years..... When guys go to the mattresses, they're not out earning" -Tony Soprano