Don Pep, I agree that Bonanno was a powerhouse. As he stated in his book (and I believe him), he was a major power and leader on NYC Commission for years as a primary voice for the "conservative" older wing of the board (Profaci and Magaddino being the other two).

He was as strong, or stronger, than most of the family bosses (although technically all are equal). Nobody was fucking with him. As you say, it wasn't until the 1960s that Gambino and Lucchese, who were allied in mindset as well as by intermarriage, felt they could take a shot at him.

I do think that he became complacent in his control of the family and also too "confidant" that nobody would ever question him. By traveling too often away from his NYC base, it allowed the "wolf to raid the henhouse." (outsiders and disgruntled insiders who sought his ouster). It opened the door for trouble...and the trouble sure enough came his way.

And by putting his nincompoop son Bill in a position of power when the kid didn't even have a clue about being a hoodlum greatly art him in the eyes of his previously loyal followers.

PS: One more thing. I know (for a fact) that he was an extremely cheap man. He made sure he lived an exceedingly wealthy and rich existence, but held most of his guys down. DiGregorio, Morale, Tartamella, etc. Thats a fact thats well known among the guys in NY.

Last edited by NYMafia; 02/07/22 10:02 AM.