This is an attempt to appeal to NYmafia.

With next month being black history month, I think there is one only when it comes to the Mafia, deserving of an article based on his vastly interesting criminal career and association to this group. Ellsworth "Bumpy" Johnson.
There is also some myths that could be dispelled regarding the tv series based on him "Godfather of Harlem".

*throughout the 20's he ran a street gang and was mentored by local gangster Bub Hewlett. Also did time in Sing Sing.

*in the early 30s became bodyguard and street lieutenant for harlem numbers boss "Madam Queen" Stephanie St. Claire. Lead a war in 1935 against Bronx Beer Baron Dutch Schultz. After Schultz's death, worked out a deal with Lucky Luciano (most like thru Mike Coppola or someone in Harlem) to continue control of the black side of harlem for a cut.

*In the 40s, he served time in Alcatraz, allegedly help facilitate a prison break that inspired a film.

*In the 50s, had a turf battle with another local black gangster named Red Dillard (called by the FBI at one time "the most dangerous man") they had several shootouts

In the 60s, he continued to facilitate the drug relations between the Genovese distribution center to black dealers in harlem.

He also had a interesting crew of criminals around him.

One thing I think that should be considered is Johnson's credentials as a criminal. He was every bit as much of a gangster, connected and money maker as a Jimmy Burke, Joe Watts and some other non-italian guys who are given respect within the genre.

It can't be understated that Lucky Luciano had respect for Johnson.
A war with Dutch Schultz is ballsy for anyone, especially a black gangster.

Sidenote: these are the reasons I believe Frank Lucas oversold his relation to Bumpy Johnson. Because Johnson was a real "American Gangster" and he had the legacy that gives someone validation in the streets. But in the case of Johnson, he has validation in mob lore.

Don't know if this is convincing enough but Bumpy Johnson can't be left out the history of this Family, even if you'd say its a not a large part. Which I'd say keeping Harlem calm for them was important to the Luciano/Genovese Family.

Last edited by Dob_Peppino; 01/27/22 04:04 PM.

"Joe Bananas went after Carlo Gambino, the war went on for seven years..... When guys go to the mattresses, they're not out earning" -Tony Soprano