Originally Posted by CNote
Originally Posted by NYMafia
Dangerfield was one of my all time favorites. He was a very funny bastard. I used to see him at his midtown Manhattan comedy club, Dangerfield's, years back. We drank with him on several occasions too. He could booze up pretty good when he wanted to.

That's exactly right, I remember Dangerfield's being right on 2nd Ave as you came off the Queensborough Bridge into Manhattan from Queens. When I started drinking it wasn't legally and was down on The Bowery at CBGB's or the Mudd Club in Tribeca.

Yep, if my memory serves me correctly, you walked in through the front right side of the place and there was a large wraparound bar running along maybe half the length of the joint on the left. It ran in front of the floor to ceiling front windows all the way to black curtains that separated the lounge from the actual comedy stage and tables in the back where patrons would sit and watch the comedians. If you walked in and went straight ahead you'd directly access that back room with the comedy shows.

The few times I frequented the joint we would sit up front on stools between that front window and the bar drinking. When Rodney would finish a show he'd change into a bathroom and slippers and come sit on a stool upfront with his balls half hanging out where he'd get boozed up and ogle and chat up the women patrons. He could be very crude in real life as well and was a bit of a perv to boot, Lol. What I can tell ya is that whenever wiseguys or knock around guys would come into the place (which they did on occasion), he'd glad-hand them to be respectful and buy a round of drinks, but then he'd usually try and quickly duck into his back dressing room to try and avoid any further contact with them. Lol.

But Dangerfield's was a very popular destination point for many years.