Originally Posted by Strax
Originally Posted by DillyDolly
I would say that Riina and Company waging war on the Italian State in such a spectacular fashion showed the world that they could pull it off, and showed off their sophistication and military capabilities, and I think at least partially they were able to get some of the things they wanted from the State, at the cost of numerous lives and freedoms. However beyond that, not so much. I think many would agree that Bernardo Provenzano's strategy after Salvatore Riina's 1993 capture has been much more advantageous to the Mafia than Riina's strategy.

Riina was least one who was responsible for all that violence. He just did dirty work that was ordered by corrupt parts of state/secret services.

Riina attacked the Italian State because wanted the the abolition of the 41 bis. Must understood that until the maxi trial the mobsters had a freedom that would never have after,and some politicians was saying that "the mafia didnt exist".
With the 41 bis the mobsters stay in a small cell,23 h on 24,no hour in the yard,no interaction with other inmates and many mobsters get crazy and flipped.
Riina wanted the abolition of 41 bis, the Corleonesis were called "the peasants with bloodstained boots", they were a herd of animals.