Originally Posted by DillyDolly
I would say that Riina and Company waging war on the Italian State in such a spectacular fashion showed the world that they could pull it off, and showed off their sophistication and military capabilities, and I think at least partially they were able to get some of the things they wanted from the State, at the cost of numerous lives and freedoms. However beyond that, not so much. I think many would agree that Bernardo Provenzano's strategy after Salvatore Riina's 1993 capture has been much more advantageous to the Mafia than Riina's strategy.

IMO Riina was a motherless, heartless, scumbag who hurt not only the Italian nation at large, but massacred many of his own people, other so-called "friends" in many other towns and villages as the Corleonesi sort to consolidate their personal power at the expenses of every other crew and borgata across Sicily.

These vicious tactics of course backpacked on him and his people and reverberated throughout all Cosa Nostra as the Italian State eventually became even more galvanized in destroying all of them. Stupid. Extremely stupid! I was "King for a Day," So what?

The mafia on the island is still feeling the negative reverberations of his actions decades later.