In conjunction with Success?

I too believe Vito would be very proud of Michael's “legitimacy” achievements but also could be feeling guilt and regret among others -
  • leaving a murderous legacy for “I never wanted this for you” son
  • placing the impossible, unrealistic burden of the “legitimacy” “obsession” on Michael “the source of his lifelong frustration:”

For Vito, his crime organization family is what defined him Vito was a ruthless, murderous Don
It was Carmela who took care of and kept their blood family together

If Michael's wife Kay was like Vito's wife Carmela, Michael too would have had it all!

Also Michael could not “provide fellow immigrants with favors and protection” like Vito as Michael was a “legitimate” businessman

Originally Posted by Lou_Para
And just to stir it up,would Fredo have gone along with Ola and Roth in the first place?
My take, if Vito was alive, there would have been no approach from Roth and Ola because Roth and Ola would have known “something in it for me -- on my own” would not have worked ie: swayed Fredo

And I want everyone here to know -- there's not gonna be no trouble from Fredo! as long as Vito was alive

Vito was instrumental, contributed and caused, among others - Thanks! Pop indeed
1. Sonny's death
2. Fredo's betrayal
3. Michael's misery
4. Connie's widowhood