Originally Posted by Fleming_Ave
Originally Posted by NYMafia

In retrospect I believe Papa hadn't given up any wiseguys or street guys, but had only offered up several dirty cops who had helped him access the Property Clerks Office of the NYPD where the heroin and coke were stored. Remember, he stole hundreds of pounds and replaced them with bags of flour. But thats still ratting in the eyes of the streets. And a rat is a rat is a rat, regardless of who you may be ratting on.

And I think Herbie Sperling seized on that and had Papa clipped. I think there may have existed a major rivalry and envy in the street as well (I'm projecting here). So there was no love lost there between them to begin with.

If he was informing on police, (even bad ones) he must not have been too well liked by the cops after that. Maybe some cops made it known they didn't like him anymore.

I totally agree Fleming. And I don't doubt that some higher echelon LE may have actually placed him at Atlanta in general population so that he'd be exposed to danger. That is very plausible.