Originally Posted by jace
Did anyone here read Stolen Valor?

Someone asked me in a recent thread what compelled me to be here, since I think mafiosi are pieces of shit. Its stuff like this.

I have Stolen Valor next to me right now. I didn't even know Montiglio was in it, I just bought it for the Brian Dennehy part. Just read the Montiglio part. And I did a quick google on his supposed Vietnam service. I will say in the little bit of Stolen Valor I've read, its not very well written. I read Murder Machine years ago and remember being fascinated by it.

There is also part of a Montiglio documentary on YouTube called Dark Visions. It's now called the Lynchpin of Bensonhurst on iTunes. I've never seen it all but supposedly it has interviews with fellow soldiers from Vietnam. One of the authors of Murder Machine checked in with soldiers at a reunion in Vegas and said nobody in the unit ever heard of him and that they should have all known him.

On the quick google search someone suggested he was likely in Vietnam, but somewhere in the back, which gave him exposure to soldiers and the stories they were bringing back from being in the shit. I doubt he could have fooled other Vietnam vets this long if he wasn't there in some capacity.

People who know more than me say many parts of his story simply don't make sense. I think its likely that he's woven about 90% bullshit around 10% truth.