Originally Posted by Turnbull
You're really getting into the spirit of this board, DA. Great! smile

I appreciate that. I also appreciate your posts, you're a "wise and considerate" man.

That being said, do you think my theory holds water? Because we are left with a messy film, we have to draw a lot from it that is not stated (or perhaps even considered by the film itself). There are as I see it only three possibilities for Altobello's origin:

-Sicilian Mafioso of high esteem, who for some reason has retired to Staten Island

-A member of the Corleone Family Michael came to trust and allow to run things in Pentangelli's place over time, perhaps not being his immediate successor but eventually becoming so.

-Least likely, but a member of another NY Family Vito was close with, who perhaps conspired with Michael in wiping out the Dons in 1955 and was in turn rewarded the title of Boss of one of the other Families by Michael. Possible, but I do not see Vito giving a rival such an esteemed role in his daughter's life.

We can rule out he is a Sicilian gangster because if he was, he'd have helped out and given Michael extra protection there.

We can rule out him being of another Family, I feel, because of the fact that he's Connie's godfather.

Him being a Corleone who rose to #1 in NY makes sense for a number of reasons. Why would he be able to seemingly control Joey - who "runs what used to be the Corleone Family Business in New York" if Joey Zasa was not his presumed or eventual successor, his mentee? Why would Michael hold this man in such esteem and trust, if said man didn't earn Michael's trust over the years by being his ally and keeping the drama in New York from reaching him as he sought legitimacy?

Altobello in this case makes a lot more sense as Pentangelli's successor as NY Street Boss, than the earlier draft's version of Willie Cicci being such. An argument could be made for how THAT would've transpired, but it'd take a lot more mental leaps than this would.