Originally Posted by WhackWhack
I think within 20-30 years there will be either 1 total family or just the Gambino and Genovese maybe Lucchese. Not enough young talent to fill 5 families now. But there will always be 1000+ Italian Americans willing to be in that life so it will fully go away.

I would tend to agree with this. It's hard to imagine why an already rare talented young wiseguy-wannabe is going to decide to hook up with the Colombos if the Genovese and Gambino's who are already themselves desperate for talent would take the same guy. A solid prospect these days is going to be so rare that they will have their pick of where they want to be. Who's going to willingly choose the DeCavalcante family if the Gambino's will take them?

Healthy competition is a good thing and so I could see there always being two...maybe three families in the New York area, but right now I would say the DeCavalcantes, Colombos and Bonannos are all in very real danger of fizzling out in the coming 20 years. Maybe the Lucchese family makes it, maybe they don't.

But even the Genovese and Gambino's are getting collectively older all the time. Not a lot of talent coming up. At least the Gambino's have some zips coming over.