Originally Posted by Giacomo_Vacari
Good to see you post faithful 1. Jimmy the weasle was indeed a strickler for protocols. Gravano had no dealings with the California families. Dellacroce did have dealing with Los Angeles and San Jose, nothing on San Francisco. Tommy Gambino had strong connections to Los Angeles, and the New Jersey Gambinos also did. Nino Gaggi had connections to San Francisco. Paul Castellano had met with Jimmy Lanza of San Francisco as acting boss, but have not come across anything when Paul was official boss.

With this clarification from Giacomo_Vacari, it presents a question.
Because although I presented the original question in a certain fashion, I am not totally unfamiliar with the groups in California, it makes me wonder.
Besides gaining subscribers, why would Gravano make up a story like that???
If the Gambinos (specifically) had association to California, surely he must've known of that territory. Now it could be that it's correct, he wasn't made at the time (maybe he genuinely didn't known), it also could've been his age playing tricks and he mixed up the times (he did have trouble with remembering Greg DePalma, who wasn't some obscure guy) or maybe something did actually happen, and he harbors a slight grudge. It was a great story m, but why lie???
Same thing with Franzese, who lived in California and called them a "crew". Maybe its a New York thing, and we see it play out, how the lack of respect for small families is true.

"Joe Bananas went after Carlo Gambino, the war went on for seven years..... When guys go to the mattresses, they're not out earning" -Tony Soprano