Names of some of the S.F. family involved in narcotics in North Beach, San Francisco in the 1980s and 1990s are pretty well known.

I'm trying to find out who was running things prior to that - 1960s - 1970s. Anyone have any idea?

---------------------------------------

In his book, "Jimmy the Weasel" Fratianno said he reported to Lanza in 1973 when he moved to the Bay Area after his release from prison. A few years later, Lanza ended his friendship with Fratianno. Lanza complained about him being in San Francisco. In 1977, when Fratianno heard he had a hit on him, one of the charges was that he was bringing too much attention to the existence of the San Francisco crime family. Lanza was believed to have given permission for the murder of former New England crime family associate turned government witness Joseph Barboza in 1976.

By 1990, there were only a few made men left in the San Francisco mob, one was Sergio Maranghi, who was involved in cocaine and heroin trafficking. Maranghi moved to the U.S. from Florence, Italy in 1975 and eventually settled in San Francisco in 1978. He first began working as an employee of Starfish Co., a small fish processing company, which did a lot of business with Alioto's Restaurant.

In 1980 Maranghi opened the Anchor Bay Cafe in North Beach. Lanza quickly noticed Maranghi's ability as a money maker and soon made him a member of the crime family. Maranghi was spotted many times meeting with Lanza and other San Francisco mob figures at the Anchor Bay Cafe until it closed down in 1983. He was one of many involved in a cocaine bust in October 1991. Maranghi decided to become an FBI informant instead of serving a long prison sentence and told federal agents of cocaine transactions he had had with his associates over a period of several years. Another man arrested was Gaetano Balistreri, a San Francisco mob associate, who owned the Portofino Cafe on Columbus Ave.

Balistreri and his two sons were later arrested again in the prosecuted in the late1990s for distribution cocaine. Others would have surely been busted but the FBI lamented that certain individuals were being protected by corrupt North Beach police officers, who would tip them off about FBI efforts.

I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid.
- John Gotti