GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (MeyerLansky), 755 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,553
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,532
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,453
Posts1,061,227
Members10,349
Most Online992
Jun 1st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Questions about Little Caesar #184561
07/17/03 04:16 AM
07/17/03 04:16 AM
D
Don Giorgio Gambino Offline OP
Underboss
Don Giorgio Gambino  Offline OP
D
Underboss
What a great movie! Truly a classic: great acting, writing and direction. The hits are good, even though they were blood-less but that's good. No sex and such. Little Caesar is a traggic hero. The movie shows touching moments like the one with repentant mobster Tony and his mother.

I recommend it to Mafia fans.

5 stars.

I have two questions:

1. This movie was out in 1931 and the book its based was written one or two years. Is it coincidence that at the same time Sal "Little Caesar" was creating his empire? And what about "Little Caesar's" best friend Joe Massara? Joe Masseria was Maranzano's rival. Do you think the writers did this incidently?

2. What do you think of this movie.

Thanks

Giorgio Luigi Gambino

Re: Questions about Little Caesar #184562
07/17/03 11:01 AM
07/17/03 11:01 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
No question about it: a very great movie, a classic, holds up every time I see it (and I've seen it at least 50 times). Made Edward G. Robinson, too.
If memory serves, there's a little essay that rolls after the opening credits that says that "Little Caeser" and "The Public Enemy" were made to show the evils of organized crime that had swept America during Prohibition. I believe that they intended "Caeser" to be a composite of the Prohibition gangsters who captured peoples' imagination at the time. But I think he's mostly based on Capone, who was the most prominent of all the booze barons, and the biggest publicity hound. "Massera" is an interesting coincidence, but I think the writer, W.R. Burnett, was just snatching at whatever Italian-sounding names that came to his mind. I don't think he was consciously reaching for the principals of the Castellemmarese War.
A contemporaneous movie, "Scarface," starring Paul Muni, was really based on Capone. If you liked "Caeser," you should check out "Scarface," which includes George Raft and none other than Boris Karloff as a rival gangster.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Questions about Little Caesar #184563
07/17/03 10:35 PM
07/17/03 10:35 PM
D
Don Giorgio Gambino Offline OP
Underboss
Don Giorgio Gambino  Offline OP
D
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by Turnbull:
No question about it: a very great movie, a classic, holds up every time I see it (and I've seen it at least 50 times). Made Edward G. Robinson, too.
If memory serves, there's a little essay that rolls after the opening credits that says that "Little Caeser" and "The Public Enemy" were made to show the evils of organized crime that had swept America during Prohibition. I believe that they intended "Caeser" to be a composite of the Prohibition gangsters who captured peoples' imagination at the time. But I think he's mostly based on Capone, who was the most prominent of all the booze barons, and the biggest publicity hound. "Massera" is an interesting coincidence, but I think the writer, W.R. Burnett, was just snatching at whatever Italian-sounding names that came to his mind. I don't think he was consciously reaching for the principals of the Castellemmarese War.
A contemporaneous movie, "Scarface," starring Paul Muni, was really based on Capone. If you liked "Caeser," you should check out "Scarface," which includes George Raft and none other than Boris Karloff as a rival gangster.
Yeazh, there's some kind of prologue at the beggining telling us to stop gangsters like Little Caesar and Tom Powers. Plus, there was a quote from St. Matthew's gospel: "Those who die by the sword will die by the sword."

Interesting coincidences.

Scarface isn't in my city's public libraries like "Little Caesar" and "Public Enemy". But I might find it in a local videoclub that rents oldies.

I'm looking for the movies you recommended it.

Thanks again Turnbull.

Giorgio Luigi Gambino

Re: Questions about Little Caesar #184564
07/18/03 12:53 AM
07/18/03 12:53 AM
Iowantonia
joltinjoe05 Offline
Underboss
joltinjoe05  Offline
Underboss
Iowantonia
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Giorgio Gambino:
Plus, there was a quote from St. Matthew's gospel: "Those who die by the sword will die by the sword."
Wow. How did St. Matthew ever figure that one out?

It's all over now, baby blue

Where have you gone Joe 05, our board turns it's lonely eyes to you...
What's that you say Mrs. Stallionete, JoltinJoe has left and gone away...

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull