GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (BugsyM), 674 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,848
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,439
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,529
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,432
Posts1,060,864
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Senator Geary (whorehouse scene) #19876
12/07/04 05:22 AM
12/07/04 05:22 AM
Munster, Indiana USA
L
Lockformer Offline OP
Associate
Lockformer  Offline OP
L
Associate
Munster, Indiana USA
Can someone explain what actually happened here? Geary said he was "passed out on the floor and couldn't remember anything." I don't believe Geary killed that girl, but who did and why? It must have been some kind of a setup, but actually how did it happen.

Re: Senator Geary (whorehouse scene) #19877
12/07/04 06:15 AM
12/07/04 06:15 AM
Lavinia from Italy Offline
Underboss
Lavinia from Italy  Offline
Underboss
I suppose someone of Mike's men actually killed the girl and let senator Geary think the killer was himself, while they arrange to have things mended and gain Geary's obedience because he'd feel in debt with Mike.

BTW, in my opinion senator Geary is one of the WORST character of GF, right?

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: Senator Geary (whorehouse scene) #19878
12/07/04 09:38 AM
12/07/04 09:38 AM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
I would imagine they drugged Geary. He says he passed out. Then, possibly Neri did the deed. He is standing outside the door and he and Tom exchange 'looks.'

The family needed to have Geary in their pocket, not the other way around, which is the way Geary wanted it. And as Tom says, "all that's important is our friendship"....and the fact that we can hold a woman's death over your head.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Senator Geary (whorehouse scene) #19879
12/07/04 12:26 PM
12/07/04 12:26 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by MaryCas:
Then, possibly Neri did the deed. He is standing outside the door and he and Tom exchange 'looks.'

Neri's also washing his hands, which tells me he definitely did it.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Senator Geary (whorehouse scene) #19880
12/07/04 12:29 PM
12/07/04 12:29 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I would imagine that even if Geary didn't believe that he did it, just being caught in a bordello with a tied-up, murdered prosititute was enough to get him in their pocket. Given that Fredo had a good idea of Geary's favorite past-time, I'm sure it was easy enough to set him up so that he would be beholden to the Corelone Family. Notice how Geary's attitude in Cuba is so different than at Anthony's communion?

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Senator Geary (whorehouse scene) #19881
12/07/04 06:20 PM
12/07/04 06:20 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
Oh yeah, by Cuba he's defiantely in Mike's pocket. I think he knew in the back of his mind that he was not the killer, but at the time of the talk with Hagen, he was in too much of a fog, and when he did get his sences back, it was too late. As for who killed the girl, it had to be Neri. Why else would FFC show a shot of him standing in the doorway washing his hands/a knife (Ive heard both)

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.
Re: Senator Geary (whorehouse scene) #19882
12/07/04 06:24 PM
12/07/04 06:24 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Originally posted by Lavinia from Italy:
IBTW, in my opinion senator Geary is one of the WORST character of GF, right?
He has to be in the top3 of worst charecters.

Yeah neri did the deed

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Senator Geary (whorehouse scene) #19883
12/08/04 05:02 AM
12/08/04 05:02 AM
Pichichi Offline
Wiseguy
Pichichi  Offline
Wiseguy
Even if there was no dead whore in the room, photos of Geary with a whore 'just playing around' would be enough for the Corleones to get Geary. I think by killing the whore as well, the Corleones just wanted to make a point. A very strong point.
I don't see Geary as worst character though. I think the character was necessary, in terms that this was to show how corrupt the system, and I think it was well played by the actor. You can feel the evil and the almost sincere respect on Michael driven by humiliation and interest.

Re: Senator Geary (whorehouse scene) #19884
12/08/04 09:11 AM
12/08/04 09:11 AM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Originally posted by Pichichi:
You can feel the evil and the almost sincere respect on Michael driven by humiliation and interest.
You mean Cuba- or senate hearings? I allways wondered how his part in them interlinked with his being in Mike's pocket...

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.
Re: Senator Geary (whorehouse scene) #19885
12/08/04 09:22 AM
12/08/04 09:22 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by JustMe:
[b] You can feel the evil and the almost sincere respect on Michael driven by humiliation and interest.
You mean Cuba- or senate hearings? I allways wondered how his part in them interlinked with his being in Mike's pocket... [/b]
We later see, in the senate hearings, Geary make a positive "statement" regarding Italian Americans and thier worth to society, and then Geary excuses himself from the hearings. That statement and his leaving the hearings is an indication that he was now in The Corleone's pockets and wanted nothing to do with the hearings.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Senator Geary (whorehouse scene) #19886
12/08/04 10:11 AM
12/08/04 10:11 AM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
We later see, in the senate hearings, Geary make a positive "statement" regarding Italian Americans and thier worth to society, and then Geary excuses himself from the hearings. That statement and his leaving the hearings is an indication that he was now in The Corleone's pockets and wanted nothing to do with the hearings.

Don Cardi cool
After questioning Ciccie thoroughly. smile
But if he had really almost sincere respect and interest to Michael it's not enough said. He might mean that M. was one of the "rotten apples" as well. Being in their pocket, they might use him more efficiently at those hearings.

Re: Senator Geary (whorehouse scene) #19887
12/08/04 12:35 PM
12/08/04 12:35 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I think by killing the whore as well, the Corleones just wanted to make a point. A very strong point.
It was the equivalent of a horse's head.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Senator Geary (whorehouse scene) #19888
12/08/04 01:56 PM
12/08/04 01:56 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by JustMe:
[b] We later see, in the senate hearings, Geary make a positive "statement" regarding Italian Americans and thier worth to society, and then Geary excuses himself from the hearings. That statement and his leaving the hearings is an indication that he was now in The Corleone's pockets and wanted nothing to do with the hearings.

Don Cardi cool
After questioning Ciccie thoroughly. smile
But if he had really almost sincere respect and interest to Michael it's not enough said. He might mean that M. was one of the "rotten apples" as well. Being in their pocket, they might use him more efficiently at those hearings. [/b]
You totally miss the point. Geary did NOT have a sincere respect for Michael. Geary probably hated him with a passion for the position that he was put in by the Corleones! But he was scared to death of The Corleones! As a senator,had he come right out and defended Michael, it would have been obvious to the other senators that Geary was afraid and was in bed with the Corleones. So Geary had to do it in a round about way, not directly defending Michael, but indeirectly by defending Michael's nationality. Not by sitting there without ever questioning Michael, but instead by bowing out with the excuse that he had other matters to attend to. He wanted as far away from this thing as possible, but at the same time wanted to show Michael that he (Geary) would not be a part of these hearings. When he makes that statement and bows out of the hearings, look at the other senator's face and expression, as the other senator is suspect of Geary as to why he made that statement about Italians and of his bowing out!

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Senator Geary (whorehouse scene) #19890
12/08/04 04:57 PM
12/08/04 04:57 PM
RizzoInTheBox Offline
Made Member
RizzoInTheBox  Offline
Made Member
Originally posted by Partagas:
Originally posted by Sicilian Babe:
[b]
[b] I think by killing the whore as well, the Corleones just wanted to make a point. A very strong point.
It was the equivalent of a horse's head. [/b]
so we have a "horse head" in GF I and a "whore's head" in GF II lol [/b]
Essentially, yes. wink

Re: Senator Geary (whorehouse scene) #19891
12/09/04 02:35 AM
12/09/04 02:35 AM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
You totally miss the point. Geary did NOT have a sincere respect for Michael. Geary probably hated him with a passion for the position that he was put in by the Corleones! But he was scared to death of The Corleones!
No-no, that was not my point smile . It was Pichichi's point that G. felt "almost sincere respect on Michael driven by humiliation and interest." I was trying to verify it by putting into doubt... smile Really I rather agree with you that he must be scared to death. I only think that, being so scared, he was governable by Corleones, and could be used better than as a defender of Italian nation. I mean, he was able to help not by making statements, but by procuring necessary info etc. smile

Re: Senator Geary (whorehouse scene) #19892
12/09/04 09:34 PM
12/09/04 09:34 PM
Pichichi Offline
Wiseguy
Pichichi  Offline
Wiseguy
Sorry if misunderstood smile . I meant the actor who played Geary was delivering it well / good acting. So when the Havana & Senate hearing scene, other people who don't know about what happenned in whorehouse, would feel that there is a kind of respect from Geary. So I use the term "almost sincere", since this kind of (fake) respect is always happenning from time to time. customer & vendor relations, politicians & constituent's, men & parents in law's (at least I feel it grin ), senators & businessmen etc. And the actor is convincing in delivering this.
I agree with DC that Geary hate on Michael, and he would curse that day when he got set up, how stupid he was not knowing that the whorehouse was owned by Corleones network.

Re: Senator Geary (whorehouse scene) #19893
12/11/04 03:28 PM
12/11/04 03:28 PM
toronto
mr. soprano Offline
Underboss
mr. soprano  Offline
Underboss
toronto
i want to defend the character. it definatly is not one of the worst characters. i like it how he thinks he is able to stand up to mike at the beginning of the movie, and how he slowly comes under mikes thumb. not slowly at all. with on slash of a blade lol

"strange things happen all the time, and so it goes and so it goes. and the book says, 'we may be through with the past, but the past is not through with us'" - MAGNOLIA
Re: Senator Geary (whorehouse scene) #19894
12/11/04 05:49 PM
12/11/04 05:49 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I've said this before, so please bear with me:
We think of Geary as dumb because he thinks with his dick. But he was a politician, after all, and he had some guile. I think he showed it in his two-faced "defense" of Michael Corleone at the Senate hearing:
He said "these hearings on the Mafia are no reflection on the great Italian people, and it would be a shame to let a few rotten apples spoil the whole bunch." Who was he referring to as "Mafia," if not Michael? Michael was the bad apple. Geary was being cleber in making it look like a defense.
His questioning of Cicci seemed helpful to Michael. He asked Cicci if there were always "buffers" twixt him and Michael, and Cicci replied, "No, I never talked to him." That question and answer made Michael believe that the committee had no higher-ranking witness than Cicci. And since Cicci said he never got an order from Michael directly, Michael was emboldened to lie under oath. As we know, it was a trap: the committee was secretly holding Frankie. My point is that Geary, as a member of the committee, had to know about Frankie, and so I believe he deliberately led Cicci's questioning to help trap Michael into perjuring himself.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Senator Geary (whorehouse scene) #19895
12/12/04 03:07 AM
12/12/04 03:07 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
Even if there was no dead whore in the room, photos of Geary with a whore 'just playing around' would be enough for the Corleones to get Geary. I think by killing the whore as well, the Corleones just wanted to make a point. A very strong point.
I'm just wondering, was that enough to end the political life of a person in those days?

Today, it is a big deal but I don't think it really was enough to blackmail a politician in those days.

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: Senator Geary (whorehouse scene) #19896
12/12/04 05:44 AM
12/12/04 05:44 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by Turnbull:
Frankie. My point is that Geary, as a member of the committee, had to know about Frankie, and so I believe he deliberately led Cicci's questioning to help trap Michael into perjuring himself.
Wow Turnbull, I never looked at it that way. Now that you point this out, the whole scenario takes on a whole different meaning. Excellent point!

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Re: Senator Geary (whorehouse scene) #19897
12/12/04 04:06 PM
12/12/04 04:06 PM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
My point is that Geary, as a member of the committee, had to know about Frankie, and so I believe he deliberately led Cicci's questioning to help trap Michael into perjuring himself.
If so, he was stupid enough to think Mike will not figure out his share in this trap? Wonder what was his punishment... rolleyes

Re: Senator Geary (whorehouse scene) #19898
12/14/04 03:32 PM
12/14/04 03:32 PM
Maryland
Uncle Ken Offline
Button
Uncle Ken  Offline
Button
Maryland
I've said this before, so please bear with me:
My point is that Geary, as a member of the committee, had to know about Frankie, and so I believe he deliberately led Cicci's questioning to help trap Michael into perjuring himself.
Turnbull, I've heard this POV from you before and it sounds good, I always liked it, but how do you explain that Geary knew Michael would testify. The FBI was telling Frankie that Michael wouldn't testify, don't you think the Senate commitee thought the same thing?

PENTANGELI
Ten to one -- ten to one shot you said -- ten to one shot he would take the 5th -- and I lose.

Napalm, boy -- nothing else in the world smells like that -- I love the smell of napalm in the morning -- it smells like ... victory... (Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore, 9th Air Cavalry / 1st Cavalry Div - Sept 1969, North Vietnamese Village on Nung River)

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull