GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Liggio), 668 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,962
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,671
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,544
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,492
Posts1,061,852
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Reccomending A Read ;) #178401
07/29/02 02:34 AM
07/29/02 02:34 AM
The Last Don Offline OP
Made Member
The Last Don  Offline OP
Made Member
hey all,

I recently picked up a biography titled "Robert De Niro The Man The Myth And The Movies"

its a very good read and im really enjoying it.
Has a nice section on the godfather p2 in which he played vito. Its written by Patrick Agan who has done other biographies such as Hofman vs Hoffman, etc.

I'm not sure where to buy the book but i waited 3 months for mine and its very well worth it,

Pick it up and read bout one of the greatest!

Last Don

"You go to law courts and wait for months. You spend money on lawyers who know full well you are to be made a fool of. You accept judgement from a judge who sells himself like the worst whore in the streets. Years gone by when you needed money, you went to banks and paid ruinous interest, waited hat in hand like a beggar while they sniffed around, poked their noses up your very asshole to make sure you could pay them back" Don Corleone to Bonasera from Godfather Novel
Re: Reccomending A Read ;) #178402
07/29/02 07:37 AM
07/29/02 07:37 AM
Bath, UK
Wiseguy_1872 Offline
Underboss
Wiseguy_1872  Offline
Underboss
Bath, UK
I agree with you completely Last Don.

It is good book - I think it is out of print in many countries, but that odd copies turn up in bookstores occassionally.

It is far superior to another De Niro biography
Untouchable (by Andy Dougan).
That one is loaded with mistakes including
2 references to "Once Upon a Time in America"
as "Once Upon A Time in New York"
What a mistake to make! There are plenty more and if a dummy like me can spot them - it's no good sign.

Stick with the Last Don's advice and go for
"Robert De Niro - The Man, the Myth and the Movies" -
An excellent read!!!!!!!!

Re: Reccomending A Read ;) #178403
07/30/02 12:03 AM
07/30/02 12:03 AM
Graveyard
The Iceman Offline
Official BB Hitman
The Iceman  Offline
Official BB Hitman
Underboss
Graveyard
Quote:
Originally posted by The Last Don:
hey all,

I recently picked up a biography titled "Robert De Niro The Man The Myth And The Movies"

its a very good read and im really enjoying it.
Has a nice section on the godfather p2 in which he played vito. Its written by Patrick Agan who has done other biographies such as Hofman vs Hoffman, etc.

I'm not sure where to buy the book but i waited 3 months for mine and its very well worth it,

Pick it up and read bout one of the greatest!

Last Don
Thanks for the info.

I've always liked Robert De Niro.

Re: Reccomending A Read ;) #178404
07/30/02 02:15 AM
07/30/02 02:15 AM
The Last Don Offline OP
Made Member
The Last Don  Offline OP
Made Member
np iceman
thats what the board is for!

now all we need is a decent al pacino biography if anyone knows of one please let me know here or email me at, geo_probe2000@hotmail.com

grazie !

"You go to law courts and wait for months. You spend money on lawyers who know full well you are to be made a fool of. You accept judgement from a judge who sells himself like the worst whore in the streets. Years gone by when you needed money, you went to banks and paid ruinous interest, waited hat in hand like a beggar while they sniffed around, poked their noses up your very asshole to make sure you could pay them back" Don Corleone to Bonasera from Godfather Novel
Re: Reccomending A Read ;) #178405
07/30/02 07:19 AM
07/30/02 07:19 AM
Bath, UK
Wiseguy_1872 Offline
Underboss
Wiseguy_1872  Offline
Underboss
Bath, UK
Last Don,
Have you come across?:

Al Pacino - A Life on the Wire - by Andrew Yule

Published in 1991 it is obviously missing recent years. The author died in 1997, so presumably that is why there have been no updated editions.

It is pretty good - it talks a lot about
Al's early struggle, his drinking and his relationships with a number of his leading ladies.

It takes us up to Sea of Love and Godfather Part III - including that Al hated Michael's
proposed haircut!!

Worth checking out if you have not come across it.
Like the Patrick Agan De Niro biography it is probably out of print - but regularly turns up now and again.

Re: Reccomending A Read ;) #178406
07/31/02 02:18 AM
07/31/02 02:18 AM
The Last Don Offline OP
Made Member
The Last Don  Offline OP
Made Member
thanks for the info!
hmm 1991 seems a bit old but i might pick it up. Thats if i can find it

Last Don

Re: Reccomending A Read ;) #178407
07/31/02 01:44 PM
07/31/02 01:44 PM
Paris, France
Almammater Offline
Underboss
Almammater  Offline
Underboss
Paris, France
The Last Don wrote :
Quote:
now all we need is a decent al pacino biography if anyone knows of one please let me know here or email me at, geo_probe2000@hotmail.com
If you can read French, I highly recommend "Pacino, De Niro, Regards croisés" by Michel Cieutat and Christian Viviani, foreword by Sydney Pollack, published in 2000.
(The title is a play on words that could be translated into "A meeting of eyes" or "Their eyes met", meaning : parallel portraits of the two actors).

It offers a very interesting and clever analysis of their works and lives, stressing both their common points and differences :
personal facts of life, growing up, learning to act, work techniques, common points in their playing, recurring themes, their careers film by film (from the beginnings to "Chinese Coffee" for Pacino and "The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle" for De Niro)...

Many pictures but in B&W only, unfortunately.

It starts with "Al De Niro" saying that he often gets congrats for his role as Raging Bull" !!!

I love the book 'cuz it's the only one that deals with the two actors that get compared with each other so many times. I'm surprised that no English-speaking writer thought abt it.

"Come heavy or not at all." Uncle Junior to Tony S.
"Nenti dire ca nenti si capi" come disse quello. (Say nthg when U know nthg.)
"Chi non ci vuole stare, se ne vada." (If U don't like it here, go somewhere else.)
Re: Reccomending A Read ;) #178408
08/02/02 11:05 PM
08/02/02 11:05 PM
Bath, UK
Wiseguy_1872 Offline
Underboss
Wiseguy_1872  Offline
Underboss
Bath, UK
On a similar note I recommend:

Francis Ford Coppola: A Film Maker's Life
Published in 1999 Written by Michael Schummacher

It's a good read. There is a particularly interesting chapter on the difficulties surrounding Part III of the Trilogy - describing it as the "The Biggest Home Movie in History"

I am most of the way through it now. It doesn't just give you an insight into Coppola himself
but into the actors he has worked with.

For example - when Coppola casted James Caan and Robert Duvall in the Rain People in 1969 they were virtually unknowin the movie business. Caan appeared in 3 further Coppola films and Duvall in 4.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull