GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (joepuzzles234), 684 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,574
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,537
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,460
Posts1,061,308
Members10,349
Most Online992
Jun 1st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What if Robert DeNiro had played Santino? #19689
11/30/04 03:45 PM
11/30/04 03:45 PM
DonVitoCorleone Offline OP
Underboss
DonVitoCorleone  Offline OP
Underboss
Would he have been as good as James Caan was? I think it would've been cool to have DeNiro and Pacino as brothers, their father being Marlon Brando.

But then again, DeNiro did a masterful job in pt. 2 as Vito.

I dig farmers don't shoot me please!
Re: What if Robert DeNiro had played Santino? #19690
11/30/04 03:48 PM
11/30/04 03:48 PM
Underboss
Underboss
http://www.jgeoff.com/godfather/gf1/gf1quots.html

You can find an audio clip of DeNiro auditioning for the part of Sonny at that link.

Re: What if Robert DeNiro had played Santino? #19691
11/30/04 03:53 PM
11/30/04 03:53 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
The video clip, which is on the "extras" disc of the DVD set (in the short feature, "The Godfather Family") is amazing, electrifying. DeNiro was still in his Johnny Boy persona from "Mean Streets," one of his finest roles.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: What if Robert DeNiro had played Santino? #19692
11/30/04 04:37 PM
11/30/04 04:37 PM
New Jersey
don vencent Offline
Underboss
don vencent  Offline
Underboss
New Jersey
I made a tobic about it month back

Re: What if Robert DeNiro had played Santino? #19693
11/30/04 05:08 PM
11/30/04 05:08 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by Turnbull:
The video clip, which is on the "extras" disc of the DVD set (in the short feature, "The Godfather Family") is amazing, electrifying. DeNiro was still in his Johnny Boy persona from "Mean Streets," one of his finest roles.
You know something Turnbull? When I watched that video clip of DeNiro reading for the part of Sonny, I also saw that Johnny Boy from Mean Streets persona, but while thinking that, I pictured him playing a good Fredo with that Johnny Boy persona!

I also posted in another thread recently that while watching the movie Nitti The Enforcer, I thought that Anthony Lapaglia acting as Nitti reminded me very much of DeNiro playing young Vito, and could see LaPaglia playing the part of young Vito.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: What if Robert DeNiro had played Santino? #19694
11/30/04 08:31 PM
11/30/04 08:31 PM
Underboss
Underboss
WOW they actually have the video clip?? I need to get that DVD...

Re: What if Robert DeNiro had played Santino? #19695
11/30/04 11:35 PM
11/30/04 11:35 PM
toronto
mr. soprano Offline
Underboss
mr. soprano  Offline
Underboss
toronto
honest to god i think they got the best cast in the right roles. for some reason i think that de niro was better off with the vito role then the sonny role.

"strange things happen all the time, and so it goes and so it goes. and the book says, 'we may be through with the past, but the past is not through with us'" - MAGNOLIA
Re: What if Robert DeNiro had played Santino? #19696
12/01/04 02:22 AM
12/01/04 02:22 AM
Pichichi Offline
Wiseguy
Pichichi  Offline
Wiseguy
I think De Niro is perfect for both roles. As a matter of fact, I think he is perfect to play as Michael, Fredo, even as Apollonia's father.
Just out of my curiousity, anybody knows why FFC picked James Caan who is not Italian, instead of De Niro as Sonny? Was James Caan more famous / better acting reputation back then?
Thank God GF made a great success, otherwise there would not be any sequels / GF II, and De Niro would have no parts in this saga.

Re: What if Robert DeNiro had played Santino? #19697
12/01/04 03:02 AM
12/01/04 03:02 AM
Staten Island / New Jersey
Just Lou Offline
Just Lou  Offline

Originally posted by DonVitoCorleone:
WOW they actually have the video clip?? I need to get that DVD...
They have quite a few screen tests, including Pachino's.

Re: What if Robert DeNiro had played Santino? #19698
12/01/04 03:58 AM
12/01/04 03:58 AM
Lavinia from Italy Offline
Underboss
Lavinia from Italy  Offline
Underboss
I think De Niro, being the superb actor he is, would be an excellent Sonny (would be an excellent everyone, in my opinion). But I agree with those who said we are somehow biased by great actors' performances, so it is difficult to imagine Sonny without Caan's face or Scarlett O'Hara without Vivian Leigh's face.

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: What if Robert DeNiro had played Santino? #19699
12/01/04 03:33 PM
12/01/04 03:33 PM
Underboss
Underboss
Originally posted by Pichichi:
Just out of my curiousity, anybody knows why FFC picked James Caan who is not Italian, instead of De Niro as Sonny?
Well, Robert DeNiro is only 1/4 Italian...

Re: What if Robert DeNiro had played Santino? #19700
12/01/04 03:34 PM
12/01/04 03:34 PM
Underboss
Underboss
Originally posted by Just Lou:
[b] WOW they actually have the video clip?? I need to get that DVD...
They have quite a few screen tests, including Pachino's. [/b]
Any with Marlon Brando?

Re: What if Robert DeNiro had played Santino? #19701
12/01/04 03:36 PM
12/01/04 03:36 PM
Underboss
Underboss
And for those who say Robert DeNiro could play any part in any movie, that is absolutely true. Marlon Brando was a great actor and had the best role in the history of movies as Don Vito Corleone, but Robert DeNiro is the best actor of all time. Nobody can completely divulge himself into a character like he can. Not even Brando or Pacino.

Re: What if Robert DeNiro had played Santino? #19702
12/01/04 04:23 PM
12/01/04 04:23 PM
Just Lou Offline
Just Lou  Offline

Originally posted by Just Lou:
[b]
[b] WOW they actually have the video clip?? I need to get that DVD...
They have quite a few screen tests, including Pachino's. [/b]
Any with Marlon Brando? [/b]
I haven't wathced in it a while, but I think there is a very brief scene with Brando getting into character, without any sound. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Re: What if Robert DeNiro had played Santino? #19703
12/01/04 05:23 PM
12/01/04 05:23 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
And for those who say Robert DeNiro could play any part in any movie, that is absolutely true. Marlon Brando was a great actor and had the best role in the history of movies as Don Vito Corleone, but Robert DeNiro is the best actor of all time. Nobody can completely divulge himself into a character like he can. Not even Brando or Pacino.
I agree with you that DeNiro can divulge himself into a character with great ability. However I think that Pacino is just as good!

Godfather : Goes from a carefree young innocent man to a cold and calculationg killer. While you like the character, you also hate what he has become.

Serpico : A character that made you feel the pain of wanting to do the right thing.

Dog Day Afternoon : A simple bungling, no confidence, miscalculating homosexual, who you can't help but like and wind up hoping that he gets away with what he is doing, no matter how many times you watch the movie and really know the end result.

Cruising : A character that takesyou on ajourney into a different world, making you feel the fear that he felt, while at the same time making you enjoy the journey. Then at the end, you become a bit disgusted at what he became!

Author Author : This one he is comedic and convincing at it. THe veiwer enjoys his humor and at the same time feels the love that his character feels for these kids.

Scarface : While he is somewhat of a turnoff for the way that he treats woman, and people in general, you also admire the trait that he has of doing whatever he wanted to get to where he wanted and had no qualms of telling someone to go F**k themselves. Deep down we rooted for this guy because he made you love him and despise him all at once!

Frankie and Johnny : Very convincing as a down and outer who just wants to love and be loved by someone in his life. He makes you feel his desire for love.

Scent Of A Woman : You really thought that this guy was a blind man! Nuff Said!

Devil's Advocate : Not a great movie by any means, but you defiantely thought that he really was the devil. Without his convincing role in that movie, it really bombs!

I know that there are many other roles that he has played convincingly, but the bottom line is that out of all the ones that I mentioned, he was a different character in each one and you forget from one movie to the next that Michael and Serpico, or Col. Frank Slade and Tony Montana were played by the same actor. Nah, Pacino is just as good as DeNiro.

Just ask Zia! wink

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: What if Robert DeNiro had played Santino? #19704
12/01/04 05:30 PM
12/01/04 05:30 PM
Underboss
Underboss
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
[b] And for those who say Robert DeNiro could play any part in any movie, that is absolutely true. Marlon Brando was a great actor and had the best role in the history of movies as Don Vito Corleone, but Robert DeNiro is the best actor of all time. Nobody can completely divulge himself into a character like he can. Not even Brando or Pacino.
I agree with you that DeNiro can divulge himself into a character with great ability. However I think that Pacino is just as good!

Godfather : Goes from a carefree young innocent man to a cold and calculationg killer. While you like the character, you also hate what he has become.

Serpico : A character that made you feel the pain of wanting to do the right thing.

Dog Day Afternoon : A simple bungling, no confidence, miscalculating homosexual, who you can't help but like and wind up hoping that he gets away with what he is doing, no matter how many times you watch the movie and really know the end result.

Cruising : A character that takesyou on ajourney into a different world, making you feel the fear that he felt, while at the same time making you enjoy the journey. Then at the end, you become a bit disgusted at what he became!

Author Author : This one he is comedic and convincing at it. THe veiwer enjoys his humor and at the same time feels the love that his character feels for these kids.

Scarface : While he is somewhat of a turnoff for the way that he treats woman, and people in general, you also admire the trait that he has of doing whatever he wanted to get to where he wanted and had no qualms of telling someone to go F**k themselves. Deep down we rooted for this guy because he made you love him and despise him all at once!

Frankie and Johnny : Very convincing as a down and outer who just wants to love and be loved by someone in his life. He makes you feel his desire for love.

Scent Of A Woman : You really thought that this guy was a blind man! Nuff Said!

Devil's Advocate : Not a great movie by any means, but you defiantely thought that he really was the devil. Without his convincing role in that movie, it really bombs!

I know that there are many other roles that he has played convincingly, but the bottom line is that out of all the ones that I mentioned, he was a different character in each one and you forget from one movie to the next that Michael and Serpico, or Col. Frank Slade and Tony Montana were played by the same actor. Nah, Pacino is just as good as DeNiro.

Just ask Zia! wink

Don Cardi cool [/b]
This post gave me an idea for a new thread...

Re: What if Robert DeNiro had played Santino? #19705
12/02/04 09:56 PM
12/02/04 09:56 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
Originally posted by Pichichi:
Just out of my curiousity, anybody knows why FFC picked James Caan who is not Italian, instead of De Niro as Sonny?
FFC wqas quoted as saying that DeNiro's Sonny was a killer and "
Sonny as a killer was something I could never sell" Also,from what Ive heard, De Niro replaced Pacino in a differnt movie so that Pacino could play Michael

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.
Re: What if Robert DeNiro had played Santino? #19706
12/03/04 03:04 AM
12/03/04 03:04 AM
Pichichi Offline
Wiseguy
Pichichi  Offline
Wiseguy
Originally posted by Don Sonny Corleone:
Also,from what Ive heard, De Niro replaced Pacino in a differnt movie so that Pacino could play Michael
Very interesting. Reminds me of something, in the DVD bonus disc it shows Martin Sheen auditioning for Michael's role.
FFC might have put Sheen in his waiting list, just as he did to De Niro. And then when FFC made Apocalypse Now, and Pacino rejected to play the main character, Sheen came up as the replacement. Sheen's role in that movie reminds me with the character of Pacino's Michael though...

Re: What if Robert DeNiro had played Santino? #19707
12/03/04 06:21 AM
12/03/04 06:21 AM
The free Iraq
Aziatic Offline
Underboss
Aziatic  Offline
Underboss
The free Iraq
Originally posted by Don Sonny Corleone:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pichichi:
[qb]Also,from what Ive heard, De Niro replaced Pacino in a differnt movie so that Pacino could play Michael
Yea, it was for "The Gang that couldn't shoot straight". I think it was MGM who signed Pacino for that role, but FFC insisted for having Pacino as Michael, and MGM hired De Niro for Pacinos role in "The Gang...."

But im glad that De Niro didnt play Sonny, cuz even if he was a REALLY GOOD sonny, he wouldve never played young Vito, and James Caan was the perfect actor for Sonny...and we will always remember Sonny thinkin of Caans face grin

Quote of the Moment:

"Fredo - you're my older brother, and I love you. But don't ever take sides with anyone against the Family again. Ever."
Michael Corleone

My DVD Collection | My Showroom

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull