GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 762 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,554
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,534
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,455
Posts1,061,244
Members10,349
Most Online992
Jun 1st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hoffa by Danny De Vito #169642
08/31/01 09:19 PM
08/31/01 09:19 PM
S
Sonny Offline OP
Underboss
Sonny  Offline OP
S
Underboss
I just saw the movie. Very impressive really. I never expected this much of De Vito. I made an earlier post a week ago that "...if he spoke Italian he could be a contender for a mid-age Don Vito....." except he'd be a very short Don Vito (no offence Dan)

Guess what, he spoke Italian in Hoffa.

I understood that Jimmy Hoffa was a real-life character. Does anyone know which Family he was affiliated with?

"..Your youngest and strongest will fall by the sword.."

"...now you gotta speak more than one language to pull a heist..." Pudge Nichols

"...Never shall innocent blood be shed; yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The THREE shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeaful striking hammer of God..."
Re: Hoffa by Danny De Vito #169643
08/31/01 10:03 PM
08/31/01 10:03 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
A
Unregistered

Yeah, on the top-ten list subject I put it among my top ten. It got shallow reviews because we didnt see apparently enough of Jimmy Hoffa's personal life, and that the camera work was icy (such as when we see the riot breaking out and there is an arial shot - which in my opinion was very well shot). I thought it was very good, especially with flashbacks and of course Armand Assante makes turns in pleasant performance as a mob lord.
Nicholson's acting was top notch, and I found the Devito character was loyal and true to his position as Hoffa's lackie. Anyway, I recommend it but sadly it was not made into dvd (at least not according to amazon.com) so will have to use the vhs

Btw, you asked what family he was affiliated with. I dont know that he was, if you remember at the start of the film the mob boss says to Danny in Italian "give me one reason why I shouldnt take him out in the alley and break his legs". Then after DeVito explains this to Hoffa, he says "tell him to get me some coffee and i'll talk to him". Although he may have made peace with the mob, I dont think he was part of the family. As president of the Teamsters unions, he extorted money like a racket (and without having to do kickups to anyone since he was president), unfortunately one of his aides testified against him, and he was sent to prison. President Nixon gave him a pardon on the condition that he would pull out of the teamsters and the race for presidency, and it was left in the hands of a close friend (played by J.T Walsh). Apparently in the film (and in real life i'm guessing) Hoffa never agreed to this and even says "if i'd have known, i'd have never agreed to it". The funniest part comes when he says he wants "Walsh's arms shoved up his ass" ;). Excellent acting by Nicholson.

[ August 31, 2001: Message edited by: Joey Montana ]

[ September 01, 2001: Message edited by: Joey Montana ]

Re: Hoffa by Danny De Vito #169644
09/03/01 01:08 PM
09/03/01 01:08 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
James R. Hoffa did NOT extort money. What he did was this; being on the Pension Fund Board, he, along with the others, agreed to make LEGAL loans to build hotels in Las Vegas. The Teamsters charged interest on these loans, PERFECTLY LEGAL, and in essence he and the board made money for the members pension fund. What probably happened is that he was paid a fee on top of the interest paid and made some $$ for himself. This was NEVER proven. When Mr. Hoffa was sentenced to prison, this whole country was on the verge of being shut down. EVERY Teamster member accross this country was ready to stop all trucking, walk off thier jobs, and literally cripple this country! Mr. James R. Hoffa sent a taped message to EVERY Local in the Teamsters Union telling them of his appreciation of thier support, but that they should NOT do anything illegal by wildcat striking, etc. on his part. The whole thing in a nutshell was this; The Kennedys did not like the fact that James Hoffa was more powerful and more liked then they were. Hoffa at one point was more Powerful then the President of the U.S.A.! The Kenneedys despised this power and set out on a witch hunt for Hoffa and the Teamsters! Makes me laugh that they wanted to tie Hoffa to organized crime in the worst way. Hell, John F. Kennedy would have never been President of the U.S.A. were it not for his father begging for and getting the support of the same mobsters and unions that Robert would later on try to tie Hoffa with! Joseph Kennedy made the Kennedy fortune through Bootlegging, running and doing business with mobsters! What hypocrites! Hoffa did some illegal things, but I'll tell you this, HE NEVER screwed the working man! Always made money for the unions, and got record wage increases for his members! As for his pardon by Nixon, well Frankie Fitzsimmons, who Hoffa appointed to act as Teamster President, was actually more "leniant" with the "boys". Because of this the "Boys" did NOT want Hoffa back in office. So Fitzsimmons made a deal with Nixon, to pardon Hoffa on the grounds that he would NEVER return as President of the teamsters! This part of the deal was done without Hoffa knowledge. When Hoffa finally was pardoned and found out about this part of the deal, he was appealing in courts, etc., and was on the verge of having that part of the deal declared illegal. In other words it lookd as though Hoffa would win his appeals, and be right back in as President. This probably upset Fitz and his "Associates" and eventually, Hoffa mysteriously " Dissappeared!

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Hoffa by Danny De Vito #169645
09/03/01 01:54 PM
09/03/01 01:54 PM
Pompano Beach, FL
MobbingForMoney Offline
Underboss
MobbingForMoney  Offline
Underboss
Pompano Beach, FL
Very interesting information.

Re: Hoffa by Danny De Vito #169646
09/04/01 07:25 PM
09/04/01 07:25 PM
S
Sonny Offline OP
Underboss
Sonny  Offline OP
S
Underboss
"...I don't need $300 Million Dollars and my elected brother to wipe your @$$..." (Hoffa to Bob Kenedy)

Honestly though, I saw some scenes after the movie (added by Danny De Vito) regarding the trial of Hoffa. And you'd be surprised that it was word-for-word as the movie. I didn't expect Hoffa to be so in-control and astute.

"..Your youngest and strongest will fall by the sword.."

"...now you gotta speak more than one language to pull a heist..." Pudge Nichols

"...Never shall innocent blood be shed; yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The THREE shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeaful striking hammer of God..."
Re: Hoffa by Danny De Vito #169647
09/04/01 07:48 PM
09/04/01 07:48 PM
Texas
V
Vendetta Offline
Made Member
Vendetta  Offline
V
Made Member
Texas
Danny De Vito is very underrated as an actor, IMO. His height does limit his roles, though, unfortunately.

I think Hoffa is a great film. Tin Men is on my personal top ten list

We will not falter, we will not tire, and we will not fail.

George W. Bush
"43"
Re: Hoffa by Danny De Vito #169648
09/04/01 08:40 PM
09/04/01 08:40 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Quote:
Originally posted by Vendetta:
Danny De Vito is very underrated as an actor, IMO.

I agree.....I've seen DeVito in a variety of roles, and he can handle any one well. His forte is, of course, comedy, but his dramatic acting is a wonder to watch.

If you haven't seen him in "Renaissance Man" (as a teacher to some soldiers), I'd recommend it!

[ September 04, 2001: Message edited by: SC ]

Re: Hoffa by Danny De Vito #169649
09/05/01 08:06 PM
09/05/01 08:06 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
SC,

Rennisance Man, definatley one of my favorite DeVito films!

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Hoffa by Danny De Vito #169650
09/05/01 08:11 PM
09/05/01 08:11 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
Rennisance Man, definatley one of my favorite DeVito films!

I love that movie! I suspect you noticed that the kid from "A Bronx Tale" has a large part in it (I love that scene when he quotes Shakespeare in the rain).

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull