GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 524 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,706
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,235
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,523
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,397
Posts1,060,122
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
HELP! We're gonna show the younger generation what "Gangsters" really are! #164729
09/05/06 06:50 AM
09/05/06 06:50 AM
Germany
Sammy_The_Fish Offline OP
Wiseguy
Sammy_The_Fish  Offline OP
Wiseguy
Germany
Hello, all! I've been a regular visitor to jgeoff's site since around '98, but haven't been a contributor to the message board since the "Great DiCaprio for GF4 Scare of 1999". I'm writing because I need to ask you all for help.

I'm a Captain in the US Army, stationed in Germany, but presently deployed to Iraq. My wife is a school nurse at the American Military high school that our Daughter attends, and she is also the "Junior Class Faculty Sponsor" for the third year in a row. This position essentially has one sole purpose- she's the overall coordinator for the Prom. This will be her third time doing it, and the last Prom this school ever has before the school closes as part of the base closures in Germany next year.

With that in mind, she's looking to make this year a real mother of a blow-out, and her idea is instead of the standard cheesy prom theme (i.e.- "Why Can't This Night Last Forever", "Oh God PLEASE let me score tonight!", etc.), she's going to do a Godfather Theme.

We're already planning on doing it in an Italian restaurant on base (operated by a guy from a small town near Naples, I think). We've kicked around a few ideas, some of them obvious, (the first slow dance of the evening will be to the Godfather Waltz, music during dinner being the soundtracks and probably the godfather suite, GF posters all over the place) some that I vaguely remember from the site back several years ago (for example, the large platter piled with cannolis with a plastic cap gun in the center and the little placard printed with the obvious quote from GF1).
What I need is any suggestions you all may have as far as decor, etc. Any help you all might be able to provide will be greatly appreciated. Just remember that this is for High School kids, so while they may have no problem with any aspect of the movie, the school and their parents may be a little sensitive to certain things (for example, I may not be able to actually do the gun/cannoli thing, because it involves a gun...) so, we're looking to tone down the more violent and Catholic overtones to minimize the odds of offending someone's delicate sensibilities.
Thank you all for your help!

Sammy The Fish

Say it to his face, just one time!
Re: HELP! We're gonna show the younger generation what "Gangsters" really are! #164730
09/05/06 07:36 AM
09/05/06 07:36 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Welcome to the boards, Sammy.

I salute you as someone serving our country, and I salute you as a fellow padrinophile.

I'm sure you'll get lots of good ideas from our members and with that in mind I'm moving this thread to our "General Discussion" forum (where you'll certainly get more responses).

One quick idea: have some sort of food (maybe a cake) prepared in the shape of a horse's head.

Re: HELP! We're gonna show the younger generation what "Gangsters" really are! #164731
09/05/06 09:22 AM
09/05/06 09:22 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Welcome Sammy!

Sounds like a great idea. Off the top of my head, maybe you could title the prom "Speak Softly"?????

Perhaps, each table could be "reserved" for different families (Corleone, Barzini, etc.)

I'll try to think of more. I hope everything turns out great.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: HELP! We're gonna show the younger generation what "Gangsters" really are! #164732
09/05/06 09:26 AM
09/05/06 09:26 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Welcome Capt. Sammy -

Let me join SC in saluting you for serving our country.

What an interesting idea. If you are having a DJ for your music, perhaps your wife can request that he or she and the staff wear GF Logo T-Shirts. Also, here in the states it has become common practice for themed parties to have a huge flat screen monitor displayed where the DJ is. Usually the screen is provided by the DJ. If you can get the DJ to provide a large flat screen monitor than have him run the Godfather movies on it throughout the evening, or better yet maybe he can put together a slide show with photos of different characters and different scenes from all three GF movies.

You may also want to purchase, or ask the DJ to provide, a CD titled 'Un Amore' - The Scicilians featuring Angelo Venuto. There is a modern version of The Godfather theme on it that the younger people might appreciate and can dance to at a much faster pace.

There is also a place over in the U.K. that sells various GF merchandise which I believe includes GF postcards. Maybe you can use those postcards as place cards.
http://www.kapowgifts.co.uk/acatalog/The_Godfather_merchandise.html

Let us know how everything works out, please stay safe and also keep us posted from time to time as to how you are doing and how things are going over there in Iraq.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: HELP! We're gonna show the younger generation what "Gangsters" really are! #164733
09/07/06 08:01 AM
09/07/06 08:01 AM
Germany
Sammy_The_Fish Offline OP
Wiseguy
Sammy_The_Fish  Offline OP
Wiseguy
Germany
great ideas, all- thanks for your interest, and keep them coming!

Sammy The Fish

Say it to his face, just one time!

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull