GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 650 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,963
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,674
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,545
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,493
Posts1,061,867
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Vito's Plan for Young Michael #19086
11/06/04 01:57 AM
11/06/04 01:57 AM
Pichichi Offline OP
Wiseguy
Pichichi  Offline OP
Wiseguy
At the scene of Pop's b-day on the day of Pearl Harbour attack, Michael faced anger and disbelief of his family (except Fredo ... eek ) because of his decision to join the army (or navy? not so sure) to go to war.
Tom then said that Vito had already made some plans for Mike's future.
I think I read somewhere in the book that this plan would put Michael involved in the family business. Now we know that Vito planned Fredo to be stepped over by his kid brother, but Sonny to be stepped over by Michael? I don't think so. Sonny wouldn't let that happenned.
On the other hand, Vito, considering Sonny's hot-headed and his blinded judgement due to temper, would absolutely prefer Michael to handle the family because of his clear rational calm way of handling things.
So my current opinion is that what Tom was implying that Vito had made plans for Michael, means that Michael to be the consiglieri of the family. That's why he let Michael to get high education to study (again, not so sure whether he studied law at college. Do you need to study law to become a good consiglieri?)

But then I think the plans changed after Michael decided to be the outsider of the family business. Vito, feeling useless of thinking Michael's to change his mind to the family business, drew out another plan for Michael's future. He didn't want Michael to have anything to do with the business. At the garden scene he told Mike "I never wanted this for you". He imagined Mike to be governor, senator sort (cmiiw, penozzovante means person in high political position in government / bureaucracy? I always want to know what this exactly means). The thing is, I don't think you can be governor / senator with rumours spread around that your DIRECT family is in the organized crime (do I sound as naive as Kay...? grin ) Alright, political people on the top may have some connections with the mob, but it wouldn't advertise you so much to be a senator if it is your direct family that is in the mob.
So those are my points, please enlighten me:
1) original plan for Mike was to be consiglieri.
2) revised plan was to be high level politician, but then how he coped with his direct family being in the mob.
3) what is penozzovante(sp) really.

Re: Vito's Plan for Young Michael #19087
11/06/04 08:52 AM
11/06/04 08:52 AM
Mrs Mengoni Offline
Wiseguy
Mrs Mengoni  Offline
Wiseguy
Mmmm... I think Vito wanted Michael to be the "legal" one in the family, because he confesses to him, "I never wanted this for you", when Michael already was in charge of the business.
I think it's spelled "pezzonovanta"(and I'd really like to know what it means in Italian... does anyone know?).

"...Luca Brasi held a gun to his head and my father assured him that either his brains or his signature would be on the contract. That's a true story. That's my family, Kay. It's not me."
(Michael Corleone)
Re: Vito's Plan for Young Michael #19088
11/06/04 12:02 PM
11/06/04 12:02 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Though this scene didn't elaborate, Vito probably planned for Michael to become a lawyer. In GF, we heard Vito say he wanted Michael to be a senator or governor. Law is the usual route for someone to become a politician. In the novel, Vito wanted Sonny to be a lawyer. He told him, "A lawyer with his briefcase can steal more than a thousand men with guns."

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Vito's Plan for Young Michael #19089
11/06/04 01:32 PM
11/06/04 01:32 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
I believe that the italian phrase "Pezzanovante" loosely translates into : .90 caliber, a person who is considered a big shot of high caliber.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Vito's Plan for Young Michael #19090
11/06/04 08:55 PM
11/06/04 08:55 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
From my interpratation of the book and the films I think Vito wanted Michael to be involved with the family business(like say a lawyer) but not on the killing end of it.

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.
Re: Vito's Plan for Young Michael #19091
11/09/04 04:45 PM
11/09/04 04:45 PM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Mike studied mathemathics at college, in the book he says to Kay: "I'm going to be mathemathics professor".

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull