GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Malavita), 690 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,554
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,535
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,455
Posts1,061,255
Members10,349
Most Online992
Jun 1st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I'm with you now pop! #18820
10/30/04 02:12 PM
10/30/04 02:12 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
When Michael is by his father's hospital bedside, he tells his father I'm with you now pop, I'll take care of you. Do you think that Micahel meant that in a physical sense, or did Michael realize that from that moment on he would be by his father's side and look out for him in regards to the family business?

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: I'm with you now pop! #18821
10/30/04 02:28 PM
10/30/04 02:28 PM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

I have a weird take on that statement. I think that Michael was living "2 lifes". The one with his wife and then his family. I really think he knew that he couldn't have both. So when he said "I'm with you now pop" that he was almost "giving up" on his wife. In other words he was telling Vito he would be there for him with everything, including the business and that if Kay wanted to stay with him then she would have to accept the business or leave.

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: I'm with you now pop! #18822
10/30/04 02:29 PM
10/30/04 02:29 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

thats a good question, i think it means he's with his father in the buisness,

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: I'm with you now pop! #18823
10/30/04 02:43 PM
10/30/04 02:43 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
That question has come up before, and most here think it signifies the moment that Michael decided to reunite with his family and at least open himself up to an active role in the family "business." It's not a coincidence that the next day, he volunteered to do the job on Sollozzo and McCluskey.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: I'm with you now pop! #18824
10/30/04 03:24 PM
10/30/04 03:24 PM
Happy Valley
Freddie C. Offline
Underboss
Freddie C.  Offline
Underboss
Happy Valley
Well I think he meant it in a physical sense, trying to comfort his father.

"The Dewey Decimal System... What a scam that was!"
Re: I'm with you now pop! #18825
10/30/04 03:50 PM
10/30/04 03:50 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by Freddie C.:
Well I think he meant it in a physical sense, trying to comfort his father.
Freddie,

With all due respect, I have to agree with Turnbull on this one. Watch that scene again closely, while Michael is comforting his father, the real message is that from this day forward, I am with you pop, by your side in all that you do in regards to The Family Business. While I believe that Micahel respected his brother Sonny, when he arrived at that hospital and saw that thier were no bodyguards protecting his father, and saw his father's condition, he realized at that moment that Sonny was not the best man to make decisions, and that his father was in and would be in no condition to run the family again. So Michale knew at that moment that he had no choice but to get into the family business.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: I'm with you now pop! #18826
10/30/04 11:37 PM
10/30/04 11:37 PM
california
Tom Offline
Capo
Tom  Offline
Capo
california
i think Michael is talking about the family buisness.besides joining the marines,he hasnt emotionally abandoned his father but never wanted to be involved in organized crime.

"Well at first like everybody else I, I was a soldier."
Re: I'm with you now pop! #18827
10/31/04 12:16 PM
10/31/04 12:16 PM
DonVitoCorleone Offline
Underboss
DonVitoCorleone  Offline
Underboss
Vito smiled after Michael said that...I thought Vito didn't want Michael mixed up in the family business?

I dig farmers don't shoot me please!
Re: I'm with you now pop! #18828
10/31/04 04:50 PM
10/31/04 04:50 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by DonVitoCorleone:
Vito smiled after Michael said that...I thought Vito didn't want Michael mixed up in the family business?
Vito smiled becasue his favorite son had come to see him and was at his side. The prodical son returned. Obviously Vito was not in any condition to realize tht his bodyguards had been arrested and that he was left unprotected. Vito was not taking Michael's remarks in a manner that Michael was conveying. He took what Michael said at that moment in the physical sense. Michael meant it as a two fold message.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Re: I'm with you now pop! #18829
10/31/04 09:20 PM
10/31/04 09:20 PM
Happy Valley
Freddie C. Offline
Underboss
Freddie C.  Offline
Underboss
Happy Valley
Don Cardi and Turnbull, you have both convinced. Why else would that line be needed? It was to tell viewers that Michael was going to join the family business. Thanks smile

"The Dewey Decimal System... What a scam that was!"
Re: I'm with you now pop! #18830
11/01/04 10:22 AM
11/01/04 10:22 AM
Los Angeles
Sophia Offline
Made Member
Sophia  Offline
Made Member
Los Angeles
Yes, I agree with Don Cardi. I think Michael was pissed when he saw his father vulnerable in the hospital and was pissed at the way Sonny talked to him on the phone (don't panic)... Michael was smart on his feet and had his "father's genes" and at that moment, he got "involved"....I'm with you now pop...

Re: I'm with you now pop! #18831
11/01/04 10:52 AM
11/01/04 10:52 AM
miami
Intenzo Offline
Capo
Intenzo  Offline
Capo
miami

Revenge is a dish best served cold.
Re: I'm with you now pop! #18832
11/01/04 12:14 PM
11/01/04 12:14 PM
UK
C
ColinB Offline
Wiseguy
ColinB  Offline
C
Wiseguy
UK
Yep Don Cardi that is exacly how saw read it.

Its really sad part of the trilogy because it was a turning point in Michaels life, in becoming eventually the Don.

How could he resume hes civilian status now, as he could see he was the one best able to make the decisions which were really about the life and death of he's whole family ? If he left it to Sonny and Tom, they could be wiped out. Key to this was the decision to kill Solotso (scuse spelling) Without Michael they would let the common wisdom prevail about killing policemen, Solotso would live to form an aliance with the other families and . . .

Its horrible not wanting to get involved with something but knowing it will go horribly wrong if you dont.

Colin B
Re: I'm with you now pop! #18833
11/01/04 03:17 PM
11/01/04 03:17 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I don't know if Michael was quite there yet. This is before the scene with Enzo, before McCluskey hits him. I'm not sure that Michael fully realizes yet that Sollozzo had gone to such great lengths to set up the Don again. I think that the statement is meant to comfort his father, but I don't think he had quite crossed that bridge to "the other side".

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: I'm with you now pop! #18834
11/01/04 09:08 PM
11/01/04 09:08 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by Sicilian Babe:
I don't know if Michael was quite there yet. This is before the scene with Enzo, before McCluskey hits him. I'm not sure that Michael fully realizes yet that Sollozzo had gone to such great lengths to set up the Don again. I think that the statement is meant to comfort his father, but I don't think he had quite crossed that bridge to "the other side".
Sicilian Babe,

Respectfully, I suggest that you go back and veiw that whole series of scenes closely. The moment Michael see his father there lying there unprotected, Michael TOTALLY realized that Sollozo/Barzini would again attempt to kill his father. Then when he hears the footsteps coming down the hospital hallway, his thoughts become very real to him that they are going to kill his father as he is thinking that those footsteps are coming from someone sent to kill Vito. As soon as he realizes that it is Enzo, what is the next thing Michael does? He takes Enzo outside and they stand there acting as though they are guarding the outside of the hospital. These sequences of action by Michael upon his arrival at his unguarded father's hospital bedside leads me to believe that at that very moment Michael relaizes that he must make the
transformation from the son who did not want to get involved to the son who would now have to take care of his father and protect him and the Corleone empire. The confirmation of if he could do it was when the hitmen in the car pull away, Enzo's hands are shaking badly and yet Michael is as calm as a cucumber. That is the defining moment for Michael. "Hey, I can do this!" The ability to hate those who want to hurt his father becomes a realization and consumes him personally when McClusky hits him and breaks his jaw. I view these scenes as a series of events that transform Michael from a civilian to a killer.
1) His calmness and realization that he must be the one to protect his father and be the son to "stay by his side",
2) The defining moment that he can live this life when the hitmen in the car drive away and he is calm and
3) His realization of his ability to hate and do what is neccessary to save the family when McClusky breaks his jaw. These scenes and events are what convey the transformation of Michael's character from civilian to mafia hood.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Re: I'm with you now pop! #18835
11/02/04 02:01 AM
11/02/04 02:01 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
[QUOTE]
1) His calmness and realization that he must be the one to protect his father and be the son to "stay by his side",
2) The defining moment that he can live this life when the hitmen in the car drive away and he is calm and
3) His realization of his ability to hate and do what is neccessary to save the family when McClusky breaks his jaw. These scenes and events are what convey the transformation of Michael's character from civilian to mafia hood.

Don Cardi cool
The sequence is important because, when Michael sees his father unprotected, his instinct is to protect his father, not necessarily to become the "Don in Waiting." When he says, "I'm with you now, Pop," he might have meant, "I'm with you, physically, here to physically protect you." But when he's outside and McCluskey storms up with his "Guinea hood" line, Michael says, "How much is the Turk paying you to set up my father?" He's already thinking like a Family insider. And the next day, when he volunteers to kill McCluskey and Sollozzo, he's made the complete transition. That's when we know that when he said, "I'm with you now, Pop," he meant, "I'm in the Family business now."

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: I'm with you now pop! #18836
11/02/04 01:44 PM
11/02/04 01:44 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I'm not quite buying it. Yes, I agree that he moves his father's bed, takes Enzo outside, etc., but I believe he is doing it solely to protect his father. Of course he realizes that there is treachery afoot, otherwise his father would not be alone. I feel this is the BEGINNING of his transformation, but I don't think he's quite there yet. He's still sort of standing at the threshold. Yes, he is amazed at his own sense of calm (remember that steady flame!), but until he sees that the police are in on it, THEN I believe he crosses over the line. That's when he realizes his capacity to hate, his rage (yet calmly expressed, unlike Sonny) and his desire to protect not only his father, but his Family. I know I seem to be quibbling over a very small point, but I really don't think that he had yet to make the transition when he whispers to his father.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: I'm with you now pop! #18837
11/02/04 02:27 PM
11/02/04 02:27 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
I tend to go back & forth on this...as to whether Michael's, 'I'm WITH you now...' is in terms of his taking part in the Family Business. Though intent on protecting his father, I can't imagine that this one incident would completely turn Michael's way of thinking around to suddenly desiring an active role with the Family.

By the next morning...after thwarting the 2nd assasination attempt and being slugged by McClusky, THEN he's ready...as we know from his on-the-spot plan on how to do away with Sollozzo.
But still even then, I don't think his interests lie in one day taking over as Don.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: I'm with you now pop! #18838
11/02/04 03:13 PM
11/02/04 03:13 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Keeping in mind that Sonny was still alive, I think we can safely assume that he had no interest in being the Don at that point.

Possibly entering the family business, yes, but not to head it.

After Sonny is killed, however, I believe that he saw himself as Don C's successor.

There's a line in the novel, when, after Sonny and Appolonia have both been killed, Michael says to Don Tommasino:

"Tell my father to get me home. Tell my father I wish to be his son."

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: I'm with you now pop! #18839
11/02/04 07:46 PM
11/02/04 07:46 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by plawrence:
Keeping in mind that Sonny was still alive, I think we can safely assume that he had no interest in being the Don at that point.

Possibly entering the family business, yes, but not to head it.

After Sonny is killed, however, I believe that he saw himself as Don C's successor.

There's a line in the novel, when, after Sonny and Appolonia have both been killed, Michael says to Don Tommasino:

"Tell my father to get me home. Tell my father I wish to be his son."
Yes Plaw, I agree that Michael would never disrespect his older brother by wanting the Donship while Sonny was still alive. However Michael did technically act as his underboss when he devised the plan and made Sonny realize that this is what needed to be done. But I agree that Michael did not even think of taking over as Don while Sonny was still alive, but that he just realized that a plan had to put into action immedeatly or the Corleone's could be done.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Re: I'm with you now pop! #18840
05/13/06 03:09 PM
05/13/06 03:09 PM
United States
A
Ayperi Offline
Button
Ayperi  Offline
A
Button
United States
I didn't think any of the lines from the The Godfather were silly. Matter of fact, when I first watched it I didn't know what they were talking about so I ended up watching the movie several times. Many lines did seem vague or like there was something more to them that I was missing. So I read the book and then read what I wanted to know from the Godfather Trilogy website. It became my favorite movie. I truly believe there will never be another movie made like The Godfather again.

Re: I'm with you now pop! #18841
05/13/06 09:39 PM
05/13/06 09:39 PM
London
The Hollywood Finochio Offline
The Don
The Hollywood Finochio  Offline
The Don
Underboss
London
And you'd be right on Cathy. Its the greatest film ever made for a good reason, the main one being that there is none better.

My take is that Mike truly means he will be there for his father from now on. Ie, in the family

Sonny - Well then, business will have to suffer, all right? And listen, do me a favor, Tom. No more advice on how to patch things up, just help me win, please
Re: I'm with you now pop! #18842
05/13/06 10:09 PM
05/13/06 10:09 PM
Little Chicago
Tony Love Offline
Underboss
Tony Love  Offline
Underboss
Little Chicago
I think the "I'm with you now pop" is an obvious, yet complex statement. It can have two meanings: I'm with you for comfort, and I pledge my loyalty with this family in business affairs.

The quality of the line is that in which it can have multiple meanings. And in these movies, what makes them so advanced, yet so beautiful, is that things that are said often have either an alternative meaning, or multiple meanings, such as the one we're discussing now.

"Any American who is prepared to run for president should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so"-Gore Vidal
"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and enemy of growth"-John Fitzgerald Kennedy
"The reason the mainstream is thought of as a stream is because of its shallowness"-George Carlin
Re: I'm with you now pop! #18843
05/17/06 05:37 PM
05/17/06 05:37 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Also, listen to the way Michael says the line. The tone and emphasis is on the word "with"; it's subtle, but it conveys a stronger meaning than just being in the room. It's the beginning of Michael's immersion into the Family.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: I'm with you now pop! #18844
05/17/06 06:27 PM
05/17/06 06:27 PM
Walter Mosca Offline
Capo
Walter Mosca  Offline
Capo
Originally posted by Cathy:
I didn't think any of the lines from the The Godfather were silly. Matter of fact, when I first watched it I didn't know what they were talking about so I ended up watching the movie several times. Many lines did seem vague or like there was something more to them that I was missing. So I read the book and then read what I wanted to know from the Godfather Trilogy website. It became my favorite movie. I truly believe there will never be another movie made like The Godfather again.
Originally posted by The Hollywood Finochio:

My take is that Mike truly means he will be there for his father from now on. Ie, to take care of the family
This sounds like a lot off good sense to me.

[Linked Image]

"Jonny Tightlips... you're shot!
- whered' they get you?"
"I ain't sayin' nutin'."
"But what'll I tell the Doc?!"
"Tell'um to suck a lemon."
Re: I'm with you now pop! #18845
05/20/06 11:20 AM
05/20/06 11:20 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by MaryCas:
It's the beginning of Michael's immersion into the Family.
MaryCas, I have to compliment you. That just may be the BEST explaination ever about the start of Michael's transformation.

That WHOLE hospital scene is so important and so key in that it really begins to show us the other side of Michael. From his reading the whole situation when he gets to the Hospital that they are coming back to kill his father and coming up with an instant plan to move his father to another room, to the "I'm with you know pop" line, to the lighting of Enzo's cigarette and right up to the "What's the Turk paying you to set up my father, Captain?" line.

Another example of both literary and cinematic genious.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull