GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 166 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,771
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,322
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,528
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,413
Posts1,060,464
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
9/11 Film #154120
04/11/06 05:40 PM
04/11/06 05:40 PM
California
DonColletti Offline OP
RIP :(
DonColletti  Offline OP
RIP :(
Underboss
California
I for some reason cannot remember the name of the upcoming film so I couldn't IMDB it for you guys but I'm talking about the film having to do with the fourth airliner that did not crash into its intended target, the Pentagon(long sentence). When I first saw the preview I just had the feeling that it was too soon for the film to come out. It hasn't even been five years yet and they are all ready making a movie? I will definitely go to see it. It will definitely be emotional.

What do you guys think about it?

His whole life was a million to one shot
Re: 9/11 Film #154121
04/11/06 06:09 PM
04/11/06 06:09 PM
UK
The Dr. who fixed Lucy Offline
Underboss
The Dr. who fixed Lucy  Offline
Underboss
UK
There is so much grotesque about the Western media and filmmaking industry that this abomination will not register as highly as it should.

Of course it is far too soon. The year 2050 would be too soon. But that is of little consequence to Hollywood. Will the proceeds be going to 9/11 victims? How much will the producers, director and actors be making?

This is profit from a recent, politically current act of terrorism. The pockets of Hollywood producers will be lined by it. But the people will not care; the promotional campaign will make it appear almost unpatriotic not to "support" the victims by watching this film.

It is of course a crass, vulgar, exploitationist exercise is putative artistry. But then, it is floated in a country that is markedly crass and vulgar in many respects.

If this film succeeds, it will achieve an effect so ironic that it could not have been foreseen not least intended by the 9/11 perpetrators: it will hoise American popular culture by its own stinking petard.

And it will in its insidiousness be just as dangerous as the 9/11 attacks themselves.... the danger lying in the complacency at the undertaking of this project.

Joey ...

BANG BANG

... Saza!
Re: 9/11 Film #154122
04/11/06 06:35 PM
04/11/06 06:35 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
Originally posted by The Dr. who fixed Lucy:
There is so much grotesque about the Western media and filmmaking industry that this abomination will not register as highly as it should.

Of course it is far too soon. The year 2050 would be too soon. But that is of little consequence to Hollywood. Will the proceeds be going to 9/11 victims? How much will the producers, director and actors be making?

[b]This is profit from a recent, politically current act of terrorism
. The pockets of Hollywood producers will be lined by it. But the people will not care; the promotional campaign will make it appear almost unpatriotic not to "support" the victims by watching this film.

It is of course a crass, vulgar, exploitationist exercise is putative artistry. But then, it is floated in a country that is markedly crass and vulgar in many respects.

If this film succeeds, it will achieve an effect so ironic that it could not have been foreseen not least intended by the 9/11 perpetrators: it will hoise American popular culture by its own stinking petard.

And it will in its insidiousness be just as dangerous as the 9/11 attacks themselves.... the danger lying in the complacency at the undertaking of this project. [/b]
The movie that you are reffering to is titled "Flight 93."
I happened to be in the movie theater last week and they showed a trailer for this movie. Well I can't even begin to tell you how chilling, sickened and disgusted I felt seeing this trailor. And then I realized that almost everyone inthe theater shuddered when this trailer came on. People were screaming out "This is too soon, what the hell is hollywood doing?"

And Dr. Who fixed Lucy....

Well said! Very well said!

It's ironic that a post like this was made today, because it just so happens that there is another 9/11 movie coming out in August, which is causing a lotof controversy, and more importantly causing a lot of unneccesary pain for the widows and children of two Port Authority officers who perished in the attacks on the WTC.

SURVIVORS' WORK ON 9/11 FILM LEAVES WIDOWS FEELING BETRAYED
Sunday, April 09, 2006
BY RON MARSICO
Star-Ledger Staff

Widows of two Port Authority Police officers killed on 9/11 say a pair of surviving officers who served with their husbands that day are cashing in on the tragedy by working as paid consultants on Oliver Stone's upcoming movie, "World Trade Center."

Jeanette Pezzulo and Jamie Amoroso said they are upset retired officer Will Jimeno and Sgt. John McLoughlin will earn more than $200,000 each to help the director re-create the heroic efforts of five officers who formed an impromptu rescue team. The widows said they are especially angry with Jimeno and contend he befriended them after 9/11, picked their brains for tidbits about their husbands' lives and failed to tell them until last summer he was working on the movie project for two years. Pezzulo said Jimeno's decision to make the movie is particularly hurtful because her husband, Port Authority officer Dominick Pezzulo, died while trying to free Jimeno and McLoughlin, both of whom were pinned under wreckage. Officer Christopher Amoroso also died while trying to rescue people at the scene.

"My thing is: This man died for you. How do you do this to this family?" said Pezzulo, who has a son, 12, and a daughter, 8, and lives in the Bronx.

The widow of the fifth officer, Antonio Rodrigues, generally has shunned discussing the issue, said a publicist for Paramount Pictures, scheduled to release the film Aug. 9.

Jimeno, a Chester resident, said "the film only holds the truth and has nothing to do with their personal lives. I've never crossed the line. ... Not one thing have I ever asked them about their husbands' personal life.

"It's our story too," Jimeno added. "We're also victims of this."

McLoughlin, a Goshen, N.Y., resident, declined to be interviewed for this story. But in a previous statement released by Paramount, he said, "I feel someone had to tell the story of the people who were in the Trade Center before and after it collapsed."

The wives -- who also are upset with Paramount -- said they do not want their children to see or hear about their fathers' final moments and they do not want details of their husbands' lives aired before an audience of millions. Paramount plans to show Pezzulo's death scene, though not Amoroso's.

"I did not need a movie to tell me what a hero my husband was," said Jamie Amoroso, who has a daughter, 6, and lives in Staten Island, N.Y.

Amoroso and Pezzulo were among the 37 Port Authority officers who died as a result of the terrorist attacks.

Jimeno and Paramount defend the movie, calling it a truthful story of bravery. Though both wives asked that their husbands be excluded from the movie or their names changed, Paramount and Jimeno say either action would dishonor their memory.

People are going to go to the film and say, 'Wow, that Dominick Pezzulo was a hero,'" Jimeno said. He also agrees with Paramount's decision to show the officer's death scene.

"The honest truth is, 9/11 is raw. ... If you want to candy coat things, that's not a good thing. I will not allow people to forget how Dominick passed."

A Paramount publicist first denied Jimeno and McLoughlin were paid when contacted March 27, but two days later the publicist and a studio producer acknowledged each received "less than" $250,000, calling it a payment of "life rights" to use information about their families.

Jimeno, 38, in a telephone interview with the publicist on the line on March 31, declined to discuss the payment, saying only, "This was not done for money or fame."

HOLLYWOOD AND 9/11

Stone's movie will star Nicolas Cage as McLoughlin and Maria Bello as his wife, while actor Michael Pena will co-star as Jimeno and Maggie Gyllenhaal as his wife. Actor Jay Hernandez will play Pezzulo and John Bernthal will portray Amoroso. Rodrigues will be played by Armando Riesco.

The film is one of several with 9/11 themes expected in the coming months as Hollywood begins exploring the tragedy after treating it as largely off limits for nearly five years.

Already, controversy has tracked an upcoming release. Recently, previews for this month's release of "United 93" -- a film that depicts passengers' attempts to retake a hijacked plane on 9/11 -- upset moviegoers in New York City theaters.

The director of "United 93," however, gained the approval of all flight victims' families before proceeding, according to a Universal representative.

"World Trade Center" follows the fates of the five Port Authority Police officers who teamed up after the first plane hit the Twin Towers.

Officer Christopher Amoroso, 29, was stationed there that morning; a news photographer would capture the stocky officer, a nasty welt under his left eye, shepherding a woman to safety before he headed back to the towers.

Sgt. John McLoughlin, then 48, based with the three others at the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Midtown, quickly commandeered a vehicle and rode with officer Dominick Pezzulo, 36, officer Will Jimeno, then 33, and officer Antonio Rodrigues, 35, to the site before the second jet struck.

The four quickly gathered equipment and met up with Amoroso by chance, forming their rescue unit. All five were traversing the concourse one-story beneath and between the Twin Towers when the first skyscraper fell.

Pezzulo, Jimeno and McLoughlin were pinned in a tangle of steel and concrete. The trio called off their own names, roll-call style, but heard only silence in the whiteout of debris and dust, according to Jimeno's accounts. They also shouted frantically for Amoroso and Rodrigues, but the officers were already dead.

In the moments after the first tower collapsed, Pezzulo managed to pull himself free and then began clawing at the rubble to get Jimeno and McLoughlin out. As he dug, the second tower came down and Pezzulo was struck by a hurtling piece of concrete. He was conscious briefly before he died.

"Willie, don't forget I died trying to save you guys," said Jimeno, recalling Pezzulo's last words.

" 'Dominick,' I said, 'I'll never let anybody forget,"' Jimeno said.

Rescuers eventually freed Jimeno late that night before getting McLoughlin out the next morning. They were the last two people found alive at Ground Zero.

Both men were hospitalized with grievous injuries that ultimately forced them to retire on disability. Port Authority Police brass made McLoughlin a lieutenant; Jimeno was elevated to detective.

LINGERING PAIN

After numerous operations and a stay at the Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation in West Orange, Jimeno still needs a leg brace and has trouble walking. McLoughlin remained in the hospital until January 2002, with severe leg injuries, as well as kidney and lung problems.

Two months after the attacks, Jimeno said he was finally well enough to reach out to Pezzulo and Amoroso's wives, explaining he wanted them to know how courageous their husbands had been after the attack.

Both wives said they embraced Jimeno, who got to know their children.

"Now, I feel like he gathered this information of how my husband was just to make a movie," Amoroso said.

"All he said was, 'I'm doing it for the kids,'" Amoroso said. She said she responded, "'You're not doing it for the kids. You're doing it for yourself.'"

Jimeno said he remains "here for their children" if needed.

"I can tell them one thing, their dads are bigger superheroes than anyone can create," Jimeno said.

It was not until the summer of 2003, Jimeno said, that he was approached by movie executives about the possibility of making the film. He said he told the widows about the project last summer, after it finally had been approved by Paramount for filming.

Pezzulo immediately balked, but said Jimeno was curt in his response, saying: "Well, you don't own the rights and it's a done deal. ... So it's going to happen no matter what."

Jimeno disputed Pezzulo's account, saying she told him she did not like the movie but would not go public if the account was truthful.

"I'll take my blows," said Jimeno of his decision to help make the film. "But it's the truth."

Paramount invited the two women to meet with studio officials about the film last summer; Amoroso went, Pezzulo declined.

Amoroso said she conveyed both women's desire that their husbands not be included in the film. She also said she asked for a script, but never got one.

Stacey Sher, one of the film's producers, said studio officials did not learn until months later of the women's opposition to having their husbands portrayed in the movie. At the wives' request, Sher said, Paramount agreed not to refer to the women or their children in the film. Additionally, Sher said the studio always has been willing to let the wives see a copy of the script in either New York or Los Angeles.

Paramount also said Jimeno and McLoughlin did not determine what ultimately will be shown on the screen.

"Hollywood sought out Will and John," Sher said. "Will and John didn't seek out Hollywood."

Those involved in making this movie claim that they are not in it for the money, but are doing it to honor Officer's Amoroso and Pezzulo. Yet when the widows asked that they change the names of the two husbands who died, Stone, Jimeno and McGloughlin REFUSED!

These two men, along with Nicholas Cage and Oliver Stone were challenged to put their money where their mouths are by donating every penny made from this movie to the charity of their choice. So far none of them have responded to this challenge.

Honor my ass. Money talks and bullshit walks. It's a damn disgrace and a slap in the face to Mrs. Amoroso, her daughter, Mrs. Pezzulo and her two children.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: 9/11 Film #154123
04/11/06 06:36 PM
04/11/06 06:36 PM
toronto
mr. soprano Offline
Underboss
mr. soprano  Offline
Underboss
toronto
Like you said...it'll always be too soon. And that might be a problem. Like all tragedies, you must overcome it and live your life to honour the rest. Not forever mourn them. Live your life in a way that would respect them. If hollywood decides to make a movie out of the tragedies (which they have and will)let them. The same way Spielberg's "Schindler's List" brought honour the those who died/survived because of the holocoust...so too (hopefully) will oliver stone and the other guy who's directing "United 93."

If you are still uncomfortable with the idea of watching the movies...then don't go. But don't throw stones at those who do. Don't throw stones at those who want to make this film, especially for a good reason. Because if you are going to throw stones at these artists then i can have a list of other artists who have "lined their pockets with money" making movies of tragic events. hell, first name on the list would be Steven Spielberg. (I love Schindler's List, and i think it was a labour of love.)

"strange things happen all the time, and so it goes and so it goes. and the book says, 'we may be through with the past, but the past is not through with us'" - MAGNOLIA
Re: 9/11 Film #154124
04/11/06 06:41 PM
04/11/06 06:41 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
I'll definitely see it. As far as it being "too soon," let's not forget that the French filmakers' documentary 9/11, which is the only footage inside the towers and the only film to capture the first plane striking the North Tower, was released a mere six months after the tragedy. And that film was real life footage. The two upcoming films, although a sad reminder, are played by actors. But I sympathize with the notion of somebody making money off of these films because the film I referred to was shown on network television.

I equate these two films with Passion of the Christ in the sense that I don't necessarily want to see the films, but rather I need to see the films. These films are not going to be pleasant, but they are grim reminders of a terrible day in our history.

Re: 9/11 Film #154125
04/11/06 06:42 PM
04/11/06 06:42 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
Originally posted by mr. soprano:

Don't throw stones at those who want to make this film, especially for a good reason.
There is no good reason for Stone making "The World Trade Center" movie. The only good reason is the $$$$. He, along with the two surviving Port Authority Officers that are consulting on this movie blatentley refused to honor the wishes of the two widows who's husbands were killed that morning. Two officers that were killed saving the life of one of these guys who now refuse to respect those widows.

Screw Oliver Stone, and screw everyone involved in making this movie. It's dishonorable and disrepectful to those two ladies and thier children!

Keep in mind that the facts of the story have been twisted in regards to the two Port Authority Officers, Amoroso and Pezzulo, and Stone intends to tell it differently about them! And in the first place the widows of these two deceased officers do NOT want their husbands included in the movie for some very valid and personal reasons. Who the fuck is stone and these two guys to make that kind of a decision and go against the wishes of these two ladies?

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: 9/11 Film #154126
04/11/06 06:48 PM
04/11/06 06:48 PM
toronto
mr. soprano Offline
Underboss
mr. soprano  Offline
Underboss
toronto
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
[quote]Originally posted by mr. soprano:
[b]
Don't throw stones at those who want to make this film, especially for a good reason.
There is no good reason for Stone making "The World Trade Center" movie. The only good reason is the $$$$. He, along with the two surviving Port Authority Officers that are consulting on this movie blatentley refused to honor the wishes of the two widows who's husbands were killed that morning. Two officers that were killed saving the life of one of these guys who now refuse to respect those widows.

Screw Oliver Stone, and screw everyone involved in making this movie. It's dishonorable and disrepectful to those two ladies and thier children!

Keep in mind that the facts of the story have been twisted in regards to the two Port Authority Officers, Amoroso and Pezzulo, and Stone intends to tell it differently about them! And in the first place the widows of these two deceased officers do NOT want their husbands included in the movie for some very valid and personal reasons. Who the fuck is stone and these two guys to make that kind of a decision and go against the wishes of these two ladies?

Don Cardi [/b][/quote]Are we being a tad bit too sensitive? I didn't bother to read through the whole article...so i'm not to sure what they are mad about. But no one knows the true reason why Oliver Stone is makeing this movie. Did we know why he made JFK? Nixon? So lets not all try and be mind readers.

"strange things happen all the time, and so it goes and so it goes. and the book says, 'we may be through with the past, but the past is not through with us'" - MAGNOLIA
Re: 9/11 Film #154127
04/11/06 07:27 PM
04/11/06 07:27 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
There is no good reason for Stone making "The World Trade Center" movie. The only good reason is the $$$$.
Well, of course.

Oliver Stone is a filmmaker, and he is in the business of making films that make money.

And the fact that some of the families of the 9-11 victims might be offended by his film (or any other film depicting the events of 9-11), is absolutely no reason for him not to make it.

Should Schindler's List not have been made because some survivors of the Holocaust or families of victims might have been offended by what was depicted?

Should Saving Private Ryan or The Longest Day not have been made because some survivors of the D-Day invasion or families of those killed might have been offended by what was depicted?

Should Pearl Harbor or Tora! Tora! Tora! not have been made because some survivors of the attack on Pear Harbor or families of victims might have been offended by what was depicted?

Should Paths of Glory or All Quiet on the Western Front not have been made because some survivors of the brutal trench warfare of World War I or families of its casulaties might have been offended by what was depicted?

Should Cold Mountain, depicting the horrors of the Civil War, not have been made because the families of some Civil War survivors took exceptionto the way thier ancestors were depicted?

Should Good Morning Viet Nam not have been made because it treated the tragedy of that particular war in a light and humorous manner which many survivors of Viet Nam or the families of those killed mught find offensive?

I could go on......

You want to give me the "it's too soon for a film about 9-11" argument, I might be inclined to agree with you, since it's evident by the reactions of many that they are still unable or not ready to come to terms with 9-11 as an historical event, and can only deal with it on an emotional level.

But to suggest that the fact that some people might be offended by such a film's content is a valid reason to not make the film in the first place is ridiculous.

As usual, economics will provide us with the answer.

If the film is popular and people go see it, then we were ready for it. If they don't go see it, then we weren't.

As far as the film itself goes, why don't we wait and see exactly how everything and everyone is depicted before we pass judgement on it.

No one, not Oliver Stone, not you or I, no one, is under any obligation to adhere to the wishes of the survivors of any of the victims of 9-11.

What about the controversy about what is to be done with the WTC site?

Should one or two people have the right to dictate what should or should not be built there based on the offending of their sensibilities

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: 9/11 Film #154128
04/11/06 08:15 PM
04/11/06 08:15 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
Originally posted by mr. soprano:
Are we being a tad bit too sensitive? I didn't bother to read through the whole article...so i'm not to sure what they are mad about. But no one knows the true reason why Oliver Stone is makeing this movie. So lets not all try and be mind readers.
Then tell me how you can make a comment when you yourself admit that you did NOT read through the whole article?

As for no one knowing the TRUE reason that Stone is making the movie, don't be so sure of yourself with that statement. You may be surprised to find out that I happen to know a lot more about this whole thing than you could possibly imagine, and that is why I feel so strongly about speaking out against this movie. Sensative, yes, of course. For the same reasons. But also objective at the same time.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: 9/11 Film #154129
04/11/06 08:36 PM
04/11/06 08:36 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
But to suggest that the fact that some people might be offended by such a film's content is a valid reason to not make the film in the first place is ridiculous.
Not as ridiculous as you may think. Do you happen to know what the content of the film really is?

Quote:
As far as the film itself goes, why don't we wait and see exactly how everything and everyone is depicted before we pass judgement on it.
There's no reason, at least by these widows, to wait and see how everything and everyone is depicted, they already know how it is going to be done, and according to them it is not being done in a truthful or tasteful manner.

Quote:
No one, not Oliver Stone, not you or I, no one, is under any obligation to adhere to the wishes of the survivors of any of the victims of 9-11.
You way off course with this statement Plaw, because when a movie director and his consultants are telling the story about two men who died that day, who left behind small children and wives, and one of them, Officer Pezzulo, died saving someone who is now a consultant on this movie, and the other one, Officer Christopher Amoroso ( see picture below ) died because after going in and out of the building 6 or 7 times and saving hundreds of people, returned for maybe the 8th time hoping to rescue more, and never made it out on the 8th try, you bet your ass that these two survivors, who were saved by these men, have a life debt obligation to adhere to the wishes of the widows of the two men who gave there own lives so that these guys could go home and hug their children again! It's the least that they can do to honor the memory of those two men who gave their own lives and afforded them the opportunity to go on with theirs!
Taking the feelings of these widows would be the respectful thing to do!

Please see the PM that I sent you.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: 9/11 Film #154130
04/11/06 08:43 PM
04/11/06 08:43 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Wow, so such emotion....when is everyone gonna protest against movies that cashed in on the Jewish Holocaust, the attack on Pearl Harbor, the American Civil War(9/11 only had what, 2,000 or so casualties? Try about 500,000 for the Civil War!), or better yet that melodrama about the genocide in Rwanda?

Honestly guys, take a chill pill, take a nap, then we can talk. With this absolutist logic I read here on these boards, all of you men, by your sworn word, should hereby btich and complain against SCHINDLER'S LIST, TORA TORA TORA, LONGEST DAY, PEARL HARBOR(well, protest that movie because it was shit!), MUNICH(hey, more dead Jews to profit on! Ka-ching!), SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, and oh ya, all those Jesus movies that made a fucking fortune for Hollywood, all on a whipped crucified corpse.

Besides, Paul Greengrass is a talented filmmaker behind BLOODY SUNDAY(worth a watch) and BOURNE SUPREMACY(which actually is superior film-wise to the first BOURNE picture), and you know what?

From the interviews hes done at CHUD.com for his later-aborted WATCHMEN film adaptation, and even recently for his 9/11 movie, hes an intelligent and sincere guy, and hell...unlike the Stone movie, Greengrass has received no official complaints from the 9/11 families.

If anything, Greengrass has the best chance of delivering a stark, honest, sincere, and moving drama about the darkest day for America in the new millenia, instead of Oliver Stone, who's been on a downfall artistically since NIXON, and if anything, WORLD TRADE CENTER smells like a jobber after his ALEXANDER turkey.

Besides, Nick Cage....I'm sure he'll help Stone ham it in as well.

But really guys, you know what? In 6 months, you all will forget that you are pissed or whatever, and then watch MIDWAY on AMC........

Re: 9/11 Film #154131
04/11/06 08:48 PM
04/11/06 08:48 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
Originally posted by ronnierocketAGO:
Wow, so such emotion....when is everyone gonna protest against movies that cashed in on the Jewish Holocaust, the attack on Pearl Harbor, the American Civil War(9/11 only had what, 2,000 or so casualties? Try about 500,000 for the Civil War!), or better yet that melodrama about the genocide in Rwanda?

But really guys, you know what? In 6 months, you all will forget that you are pissed or whatever, and then watch MIDWAY on AMC........
Ronnie, your comparisons are very very weak. It is less than 5 years since the attacks took place, and obviously, with a little common sense, you would realize that there are children involved here right now. The movies that you mentioned were made many many years after the events actually took place, and while I don't say that the emotional aspect of those affected by those earlier events are any less than this one, the difference again is that time was allowed to go by, a lot of time, and there was no longer an effect on a childs life, as there is in this situation.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: 9/11 Film #154132
04/11/06 09:00 PM
04/11/06 09:00 PM
Mad Johnny Offline
BANNED
Mad Johnny  Offline
BANNED
HERE'S YOUR FREAKIN ANSWER TO THIS ISSUE:

If you hate the film, then don't watch it. Unless you'd rather live in a dictatorship then just deal with it.

Yes it is a continuing tragedy and all the wounds will never close. But America is a capitalist society. Just like when Mel Gibson made The Passion to make money off Jesus, people will make money off 9/11. While its morally wrong to make money off 9/11, this is America and Hollywood will come up with any excuse to make money.

Officially the victim/target of the first and third Non-Aggression Pact attacks #2 is Fathersson # 4 is Double-J

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006

Double-J: may you serve us better from above, smile on from heaven

"Buh-Bye"
Re: 9/11 Film #154133
04/11/06 09:03 PM
04/11/06 09:03 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Is 60 years long enough for a Holocaust movie? I'm sure some survivors are still fucking haunted by that shit(and why wouldn't they?)

Besides DC, you're pissed, angry, emotional, so I'll leave you alone.

But Five Years is your criteria?

Again, using your logic, I do remember a pretty damn offensive SUPERMAN cartoon short of the time, where the Blue Bomber went off and beat up some yellow monster-looking Japanese(called "JapaNazis" ). Really, the studio behind this cartoon made a fucking profit off of our pissed-anger from the Pearl Harbor bombings. I'm sure some kid cried out in Indiana.

Better yet, what about all those Frank Capra-directed documentaries(aka Propaganda) that the U.S. Government used, with footage of Pearl Harbor and other scenes of dead Americans on the sands in the islands of the Pacific Ocean, to re-enforce us Americans that the Japanese must be stopped. I mean, people still PAID to see those docs in theaters. KA-CHING!

Maybe, like DoubleJ, I view history as that of millions of years for the human race on Earth, and really, this moment only represents 3 seconds total in the grand scheme of things. Our lifetimes is just a grain of sand.

Besides, this "mellowing" of time? What about the absolutely angry families of the killed Israeli athletes in the 1972 Olympics, plus their relatives and fellow countrymen, that were pissed about Spielberg's perspective dramatic take on the aftermath in MUNICH?

People will always be hurt inside DC, and you know that. Mellow of time my ass. However, the only two things I hope about Greengrass' 9/11 movie are:

(1) Is it a sincere drama that honored people for trying to fight the hijackers themselves, or a cheap money-making scheme of a melodrama?

(2) Will it be a decent movie, or garbage?

Re: 9/11 Film #154134
04/11/06 09:05 PM
04/11/06 09:05 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
You both obviously miss the whole point here. You both obviously did not bother reading the whole story because you are talking about the Flight 93 movie, and I'm not! So you obviously didn't put what I wrote with the story that I posted.

Obviously you really don't give a shit.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: 9/11 Film #154135
04/11/06 09:08 PM
04/11/06 09:08 PM
Mad Johnny Offline
BANNED
Mad Johnny  Offline
BANNED
Yeah you're right I don't give a shit because its just a freakin movie and I don't control Hollywood and there's no way I ever will.

There are more important things in life to worry about.

Officially the victim/target of the first and third Non-Aggression Pact attacks #2 is Fathersson # 4 is Double-J

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006

"Buh-Bye"
Re: 9/11 Film #154136
04/11/06 09:17 PM
04/11/06 09:17 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Johnny:
Yeah you're right I don't give a shit because its just a freakin movie and I don't control Hollywood and there's no way I ever will.

There are more important things in life to worry about.
Yes, more important things in life to worry about huh? For you maybe, but not for those children who lost their fathers, who no longer have the priveledge of having thier fathers come home to them everyday to love them and do things with them.

More important things in life for you maybe, but not for those two woman who no longer have a man in their lives, to take care of them, to love them, to help them raise their children, to take them to a ball game, a movie, the park, on vacation.

They no longer have the things in life that we take for granted.

More important things in life to you maybe, because you don't constantly have to deal with the press continually harrassing you, calling your home every September 1st to ask you the same old questions and mentally bring you into a state of depression because they won't let you get on with your life. To write a movie that does not have the real facts of how your husband or fahter died, or what really happened to him that day.

Johnny, you have absolutely no clue.

More important to you maybe, but not those children and wives.

Johhny, I feel sorry for you because by making a statement like that it only tells me that your a cold hearted person without any compassion. What a cold and terrible thing to say.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: 9/11 Film #154137
04/11/06 09:20 PM
04/11/06 09:20 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
911 affected all of us, without a doubt. As a nation we came together and mourned the lost lives, felt the pain, horror and shock. A day none of us will forget.

For those who do not know, DC has his own personal heartwrenching story about 911, and I think maybe that indicates the difference in how much deeper the pain and greif are for those who are in NY, saw the towers fall first hand, and most importantly lost friends or family. I certainly understand why DC feels as he does, and have the utmost respect for him.

The only thing that eases (or heals) pain is time, and you can't put a number on how many years it'll take for any one person to overcome this kind of thing. Everyone is different. I do understand for NYers (especially) that it may be too soon.

However, all that being said, I don't object to the making of this movie and I'm guessing I will go see it, although for movies like this, I have to be in an emotionally "prepared" frame of mind to watch it.

A week or so ago on Larry King they had parents/relatives of some of the victims of one of the 911 flights and mentioned this movie coming out. Larry King asked if they were going to see it. One mother said that she was. She knew it wouldn't be easy, but said something to the effect of "she needs to see the pieces put together of what they assumed happened from the info they did have." The others did not want to see it.

Btw I did read an article DC about the previews being shown in NYC and the audience reaction to it. Must of been a shocker. At least it will show on a theater, and fortunately everyone knows about it and those who are not ready to see it, won't be forced to relive it.

DC, hang in there!!

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: 9/11 Film #154138
04/11/06 09:24 PM
04/11/06 09:24 PM
Mad Johnny Offline
BANNED
Mad Johnny  Offline
BANNED
I knew you'd reply with something like that.

How does slamming a movie make life better for anyone? How does slamming a movie make the world a better place?

Way to miss my point.

Cold hearted? You don't even know me. With all crap I've said, I've never tried to make serious character judgments off a message board.

Look, all I'm saying is that some dumb film doesn't change anything whether you bash it or not. Maybe you missed "Yes it is a continuing tragedy and all the wounds will never close."

"Buh-Bye"
Re: 9/11 Film #154139
04/11/06 09:29 PM
04/11/06 09:29 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Thank you Johnny!

Re: 9/11 Film #154140
04/11/06 09:32 PM
04/11/06 09:32 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
As DC knows, I have very, very personal links to the September 11th attacks. I don't say that as some sort of trump card, but rather as someone who was affected personally that day. I don't, however, happen to agree with the "too soon" argument.

When Simon Weisenthal spoke about the Holocaust, his constant mantra was that only by sharing his story, and the story of other survivors, could we prevent such a thing from happening again. History does have a horrible way of repeating itself. Complacency does have a way of making us blind to certain warning signs. There are those who have said that if we had acted more aggressively after the 1993 bombing of the World Trade Center, or after the attack on the Cole, then maybe we wouldn't have had a September 11th attack. And in hindsight, I would have to agree. But, let's face it, we were on a strong economic upswing and nobody truly wanted to rock the boat. And I doubt that anyone here at that time raised a hue and cry for stronger action.

I think that September 11th is a day that will echo in our hearts forever. I believe that there are thousands upon thousands of stories that could be told, and should be. I think that only by relating those stories, by listening to the humanity behind the statistics, can we remember the sadness of that day, the horror, the terror, the confusion and the heartbreak. I think that only by remembering those that were so senselessly lost that day can we possibly bring back a spark of the unity that held us together as a nation.

I think that we NEED to retell those stories, to hear those 911 tapes, to learn more about the people lost. I understand that it may be horrible for the families of the survivors. I know that it may rip open wounds. And perhaps some Hollywood blockbuster type of film may not be the best venue, but who are we to judge that? I think that we as a nation owe a debt to those that died that day, and that debt is to hear their stories.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: 9/11 Film #154141
04/11/06 09:33 PM
04/11/06 09:33 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
I knew you'd reply with something like that.

Look, all I'm saying is that some dumb film doesn't change anything whether you bash it or not.
You knew that I would reply with somethjing like that because you know what you said warrented a reply like mine.

To you it may be a dumb film, but to those woman and children who lost their husband/father, it's not so dumb because right now it is not going to show their husband/father in the true predicament that he was in and how he saved so many lives and then was killed. You don't know what the script entails or how it is currently written, so to you it's dumb. They know the real facts and they lost thier loved one, so I don't think it's just a dumb film to them.

Would you want your father or your wife to be portrayed in a fictionary manner if they sacraficed their life to save so many others in what is probably the most tragic event to ever take place on American soil? And then not only have to stand by watching a lie being told to millions of people around the world, but to also know that the men who consulted on this film and who this film is about will be making money from it after telling a distorted story about your loved one? I don't think so.

Try for a moment to understand what I am conveying to you here. Try for one moment to put yourself in their shoes and then see if it's dumb or no big deal.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: 9/11 Film #154142
04/11/06 09:37 PM
04/11/06 09:37 PM
Hampton, Virginia
Antoni Canoli Offline
Made Member
Antoni Canoli  Offline
Made Member
Hampton, Virginia
Not to wade into the middle of something but the movie needs to happen. 9-11 was a defining, integral moment for all of us (whether we lived in NYC or DC or wherever--I was on an Aircraft Carrier right outside the Persian Gulf as it happened) and it needs to be explored. Yes, I am sure there are wounds still open in the families who lost loved ones, but you dont ignore the truth and the grieving/coping process because of that. No one seems to be concerned with such movies as Blackhawk Down (nor does anyone seem concerned with the feeling or open wounds of those who lived thru it or their loved ones), this isnt any different.

Finance is a gun, Politics is knowing when to pull the trigger.
Re: 9/11 Film #154143
04/11/06 09:41 PM
04/11/06 09:41 PM
Mad Johnny Offline
BANNED
Mad Johnny  Offline
BANNED
If someone is stupid enough to believe a lie, then they don't matter, do they? I mean, who cares if someone believes lies in a movie? They're lies no matter who believes them.

Like I said, this is capitalism. Money is money. You can't change that.

America is better off not focusing on a lame movie. Americans should focus on real issues, not on how Hollywood is offending people.

"Buh-Bye"
Re: 9/11 Film #154144
04/11/06 09:59 PM
04/11/06 09:59 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Antoni Canoli:
but you dont ignore the truth and the grieving/coping process because of that.
And that is exactly what Oliver Stone and these two Port Authority Consultants are doing here, ignoring the truth.

These two ladies originally had no objection to Oliver Stone making this movie, and all they asked was that they be able to have some input on behalf of how their husband's last moments were portrayed in the movie. These ladies were willing to do it for free! And the two Port Authority consultants who survived along with Stone told them NO! That is was their movie and they would portray those husbands who died in the way that they felt they should be portrayed! Then these two ladies said that if Stone and the consultants insisted on prortraying their husbands in the way that they ( Stone ) wanted, that he at least change their names in the movie. And Stone and these two guys basically said to these two widows too bad, we'll do it the way that we want, it's our movie!

That is the issue here, not the making of the movie itself per say, but how the two husbands who died are going to be portrayed.

That's what is being objected to by these widows. They originally were not against the making of this movie itself. Not until Stone and his cronies changed the stories of their husbands last moments.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: 9/11 Film #154145
04/11/06 10:02 PM
04/11/06 10:02 PM
Mad Johnny Offline
BANNED
Mad Johnny  Offline
BANNED
Oliver Stone, make up stuff in a movie? Never! :rolleyes:

Why don't they just sue him and get it over with?

"Buh-Bye"
Re: 9/11 Film #154146
04/11/06 10:05 PM
04/11/06 10:05 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
If someone is stupid enough to believe a lie, then they don't matter, do they? I mean, who cares if someone believes lies in a movie? They're lies no matter who believes them.

Like I said, this is capitalism. Money is money. You can't change that.

America is better off not focusing on a lame movie. Americans should focus on real issues, not on how Hollywood is offending people.
Johnny, you really miss the issue. You have a one track mind. As I said several times, and I'll say it again hoping that THIS TIME you'll be able to comprehend it : THESE LADIES ARE CONCERNED ABOUT THIER CHILDREN AND WHAT THEY WILL HAVE TO ENDURE IF THE TRUTH IS NOT BEING TOLD ABOUT THEIR FATHERS! THESE LADIES ARE TRYING TO PROTECT THEIR CHILDREN WHO ALREADY HAVE BEEN HURT AND SCARRED, FROM ANY FURTHER HURT BECAUSE OF LIES THAT WILL BE TOLD IN THIS MOVIE!!!!!

What the fuck is so hard for you to understand here that you keep making these fucking ridiculous statements about focusing in the real issues? THIS IS A REAL ISSUE FOR THESE WOMAN AND THEIR CHILDREN!!!!

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: 9/11 Film #154147
04/11/06 10:10 PM
04/11/06 10:10 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:

Why don't they just sue him and get it over with?
Well first of all, let me make you aware of something here.

When you take a job as a Public Official, such as a Port Authority Officer or a Fireman, you forfeit your families rights to you if you die in the line of duty. In other words if you die in the line of duty, the public has the right use your name in the making of something that occured in real life, something like 9/11.

So unfortunately they cannot sue Stone for using their husbands name in the movie. And obviously Stone and those consultants are aware of this and that is why they've decided to tell these two ladies SCREW YOU and do things the way that they want to.

THAT"S the outrage here. Not the making of the movie itself, but what the contents will now be so far.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: 9/11 Film #154148
04/11/06 10:20 PM
04/11/06 10:20 PM
Some anonymous motel room.
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

Some anonymous motel room.
The funny thing is these changes will probably result in more melodrama forwarding a hero's story.

I have no problem with Stone making this film, though I don't have high expectations. He's made some good and great films, although he also did the horrible U-Turn.

I think this will probably aim for a melodramatic cliche mess, rather then anything seriously compelling. I'd like to see Robert Altman make a film about 9/11.

Re: 9/11 Film #154149
04/12/06 12:26 AM
04/12/06 12:26 AM
New York
MafiaJ Offline
Wiseguy
MafiaJ  Offline
Wiseguy
New York
I refuse to put money into something that would make a lot of people re-live that terrible incident. I'm never seeing it and I refuse to put my money into something that Hollywood made on that subject.

"To announce that there should be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American people."-Theodore Roosevelt
"It's better to live one day as a lion, than a hundred as a sheep."-Benito Mussollini
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull