GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Turnbull), 169 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,934
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,627
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,539
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,473
Posts1,061,550
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Why does "Dark Side of the Moon" still sell? #144146
01/19/06 08:29 AM
01/19/06 08:29 AM
The Bright Side Of The Road
S
Senza Mama Offline OP
Underboss
Senza Mama  Offline OP
S
Underboss
The Bright Side Of The Road
For Christmas someone bought me Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" on CD. I had the vinyl version many years ago but had never "updated" it to CD. Over Christmas I read that this album still sells 250,000 copies every year almost 33 years after its original release in March 1973. I started to wonder...why? What is it about this collection of songs that has endured the test of time? Why does an album that contains three instrumentals continue to attract new audiences?

I start with some of my own musings...first of all the obvious...the songs are great. From the sweeping Em opening chord of "Breathe" through the 7/8 time opening bass riff of "Money" to the closing words of Eclipse..."there is no dark side of the moon as a matter of fact it's all dark" there is not weak moment on the album.

For it's time the level of production and engineering were amazing (I think it was all recorded on 8 track).

The main theme of the album (IMO that the stresses of modern life can drive you mad) is universal and still applies today.

Roger Waters' lyrics are fairly simple and direct.

Any thoughts???

Tom: "They shot Sonny on the causeway...he's dead."
Michael: "Turnbull is a good man"
Shane MacGowan: "It was Christmas Eve babe, in the drunk tank"
Re: Why does "Dark Side of the Moon" still sell? #144147
01/19/06 08:39 AM
01/19/06 08:39 AM
It's fun to stay in the YMCA
Turi Giuliano Offline
Turi Giuliano  Offline

It's fun to stay in the YMCA
For my generation it's been the THE thing to listen to when trippin'.

So die all who betray Giuliano
Re: Why does "Dark Side of the Moon" still sell? #144148
01/19/06 09:01 AM
01/19/06 09:01 AM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
I don't know. I never thought the album was all that great, but I was never much of a Floyd fan. I remember there was a period of about 15 years in which it was continually in the Top 200 Billboard Album seller's list.

Re: Why does "Dark Side of the Moon" still sell? #144149
01/19/06 10:28 AM
01/19/06 10:28 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
To answer the question it is the same reason Beethoven still sells, or Shakespeare still sells, or even the Godfather still sells. It is great art.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Why does "Dark Side of the Moon" still sell? #144150
01/19/06 03:17 PM
01/19/06 03:17 PM
Some anonymous motel room.
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

Some anonymous motel room.
Because they are one of the great bands, and the album is their best along with "The Wall."

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006
Re: Why does "Dark Side of the Moon" still sell? #144151
01/19/06 04:16 PM
01/19/06 04:16 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Because a lot of people still watch "The Wizard of Oz".

Re: Why does "Dark Side of the Moon" still sell? #144152
01/19/06 05:11 PM
01/19/06 05:11 PM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL
The same reason why people watch old movies or still love old TV shows.

Hey, how's it going?
Re: Why does "Dark Side of the Moon" still sell? #144153
01/19/06 06:24 PM
01/19/06 06:24 PM
Right here, but I'd rather be ...
long_lost_corleone Offline
Underboss
long_lost_corleone  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by SC:
I actually keep forgetting to try that, just for a bit of quick entertainment. I also recently heard that "The Division Bell" (last studio-Floyd album) matches up to 2001 A Space Oddessey.

But, back to the question, Floyd has been one of my favorite bands of all time. Along with bands like The Beatles and Led Zeppelin, they are probably one of the top five rock acts of their generation, which just so happens to be the golden or defining generation of rock. I can also say that Floyd has influenced me as a casual musician in an active rock band that is starting to grow locally.

Dark Side of The Moon is the peak of their career, many would say. Their big break. And why not? There isn't a single bad song on the album (Even while listening to the anti-melodic "On the Run", I can't bring myself to switch tracks. It simply ruins the flow and feel of the album). I will still argue that "The Wall" is probably their greatest achievement, but Darkside of the Moon is second in line, and one of the ten greatest rock albums of all time.

Still, I'm a little upset about the raging popularity of Dark Side, only because the other albums don't get the recognition they deserve. It seems to be increasingly popular in school now to wear Dark Side of the Moon shirts, but when I have a conversation with the people who are found wearing them, it usually turns out its the only album they've listened to, with few exceptions having enjoyed The Wall. But, maybe 5% of the ones I've spoken to (if that...) have heard the other great albums the band produced in their years together, like "Animals", "Wish You Were Here", "Meddle", "Atom Heart Mother", and so on.

Overall, the answer to your question is, it's just a great piece of modern art. It's a masterpiece... I've heard many rumors, and even that he was offered 134 million euro's to do so, but I just with Roger Waters would agree to another reunion with the classic Pink Floyd members. Maybe a bit closer to New York this time. :p

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."
Re: Why does "Dark Side of the Moon" still sell? #144154
01/19/06 06:35 PM
01/19/06 06:35 PM
Mad Johnny Offline
BANNED
Mad Johnny  Offline
BANNED
Reasons why I think the album rocks:
1) Its all one long track. Don't believe me? Get a look at the original vinyl album sometime. There are no track dividers.
2) Goes great with Alice in Wonderland and The Wizard of Oz
3) Took 2 years to make
4) Quality

Officially the victim/target of the first and third Non-Aggression Pact attacks #2 is Fathersson # 4 is Double-J

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006

Double-J: may you serve us better from above, smile on from heaven

"Buh-Bye"
Re: Why does "Dark Side of the Moon" still sell? #144155
01/19/06 06:41 PM
01/19/06 06:41 PM
Underboss
Underboss
That's another thing I love about Floyd! The majority of their albums flow as one long track, if not literally made as a single track. It's a purely revolutionary idea, and it makes listening to the album alot more exciting. And, how else to follow up amazing and revolutionary way of recording albums, but with equally ground-breaking live stage-shows.

Oh, how I'd of KILLED to see a Floyd show in person, at their peak. The Wall Tour could be one of the most amazing rock shows ever. Any presentation of "Laser-Floyd", on any major album tour, as well.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."
Re: Why does "Dark Side of the Moon" still sell? #144156
01/20/06 12:37 AM
01/20/06 12:37 AM
toyland
D
don illuminati Offline
Underboss
don illuminati  Offline
D
Underboss
toyland
Maybe people keep replacing their album copies with cd's, or someone 'borrows' their copy and they have to replace it. I used to have that problem with Pretty Hate Machine by 9 Inch Nails.

Dark Side is just a great and seemingly timeless album that reaches a lot of people in different ways. I remember the long conversations we had in college about it's meaning, whether it was about a man's death, and each song is looking back on a part of his life, or whether it was about a guy who had reached a point where he questioned everything in his life, or if it was just a dream, which would fit in with the Wizzard of Oz thing. I need to try that sometime.

"How's the Italian food in this restaurant?'
Re: Why does "Dark Side of the Moon" still sell? #144157
01/20/06 01:04 PM
01/20/06 01:04 PM
Underboss
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by don illuminati:
or someone 'borrows' their copy and they have to replace it.
That's what recently happened to me. Oh well, it's the small price well paid for converting a friend into a Floyd fan.

Re: Why does "Dark Side of the Moon" still sell? #144158
01/20/06 01:16 PM
01/20/06 01:16 PM
State Asylum
Snake Offline
Underboss
Snake  Offline
Underboss
State Asylum
"Brain Damage/Eclipse" sums everything -- and I mean everything! -- up so well.

"Vaya con Dios, Castle. Go with God."
"God's going to sit this one out." The Punisher (2004)
Re: Why does "Dark Side of the Moon" still sell? #144159
01/21/06 03:08 PM
01/21/06 03:08 PM
New York
raggingbull2003 Offline
Underboss
raggingbull2003  Offline
Underboss
New York
Quote:
Originally posted by SC:
This actually works btw. It is particularly noticeable during "Time" and "Great Gig in the Sky."

Anyway... The Floyd is by far my favorite rock and roll band of all time. I keep hearing that the younger generation (My Generation), is still embracing them. I'd like desperately to meet these people, because everyone I know that is my age cant stand them.

Dark Side is un-arguably a magnificent achievement. "Money", "Time", and "Us and Them" are some of my personal favorites, but I dont prefer this album to others by the Floyd. My two favorites are definetly "Wish You Were Here" and "Animals." I would agree that Dark Side hogs up too much of the spotlight, which should be shined equally on all of Floyd's albums.

Btw LLC, I own a Dark Side T-shirt :p

"You can shear a sheep many times, but you can skin him only once."
-Amarillo Slim
Re: Why does "Dark Side of the Moon" still sell? #144160
01/21/06 07:41 PM
01/21/06 07:41 PM
Underboss
Underboss
:p I didn't necessarily mean you. There are plenty of people who've expanding their Floyd listening beyound Dark Side. I personally like my Animals shirt the best; It just says "Pink Floyd" and then has a big pink big on it.

You and I can start the official BB leg of the "Pink Floyd fan club for generation Y".

Re: Why does "Dark Side of the Moon" still sell? #144161
01/21/06 09:20 PM
01/21/06 09:20 PM
New York
raggingbull2003 Offline
Underboss
raggingbull2003  Offline
Underboss
New York
sounds like a plan

"You can shear a sheep many times, but you can skin him only once."
-Amarillo Slim
Re: Why does "Dark Side of the Moon" still sell? #144162
01/21/06 09:55 PM
01/21/06 09:55 PM
Underboss
Underboss
Sounds great!

Ok, so it has already been proven that "The Dark Side of the Moon" matches up with The Wizard of Oz, and that "Meddle" matches up with 2001: A Space Odyssey... So I say our first goal is to match the remaining 12 studio albums to movies.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull