GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (m2w, Irishman12), 180 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,758
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,310
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,528
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,410
Posts1,060,423
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Jury Duty #143244
01/15/06 01:23 AM
01/15/06 01:23 AM
Right here, but I'd rather be ...
long_lost_corleone Offline
Underboss
long_lost_corleone  Offline
Underboss
Right here, but I'd rather be ...
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
I loved jury duty and serving on a jury.

Don't like being on a civil case. I liked being on a criminal case much better.

Don Cardi
I bet it's probably more interesting working on criminal cases, although I see myself getting more involved and feeling more confident or strongly about my beliefs in a civil rights case.

If I absolutely had to chose to serve in one, I'm not sure which I'd chose... A standard of keeping my attention/forming entertainment, or being given the oppurtunity to help save the freedoms we all take for granted?

I'm sure the second option isn't a common interest in 16 year olds. Granted I were like most American teenager's, whose interest included breasts, violence, and rap music, I'm sure it would be a criminal case, no question about it. But my IQ is above room temperature, so that's actually a hard one for me.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."
Re: Jury Duty #143245
01/15/06 02:24 AM
01/15/06 02:24 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
I'm going to wish you the best of luck JG. I for one never want to be in a position to vote on a jury for someone's life or death, because in some cases you could be wrong.

It had never really occurred to me, but the other day I found out that I was totally wrong about a black and white case for about 6 years. It sometimes takes even longer to find out your judgment has been wrong. I don't mean to discourage you but I sincerely hope you give considerate thoughts to what you are going to vote for.

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: Jury Duty #143246
01/15/06 08:20 AM
01/15/06 08:20 AM
Elmwood Park, Illinois
YoTonyB Offline
Neighborhood Guy
YoTonyB  Offline
Neighborhood Guy
Underboss
Elmwood Park, Illinois
I've been summoned three times, twice by Cook County and once by Federal Court (U.S. District Court for Northern Illinois).

Cook County had (it's been a couple of years) a "one day/one trial" system. You're summoned for one day only unless you are selected to a jury, then you sit for the duration of the trial. I was not seated as a juror so my obligation lasted only one day.

Federal court has a two week "on call" commitment. You have to call the night before to find out if you're required for the jury pool the next day. I got seated on a trial jury on the first day. It was an employment discrimination case that lasted five days and it was a real-life experience of my grad school background. It could not have been more fascinating. The case was in Federal court because the plaintiff alleged employment discrimination under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act against a Federal agency, the Department of Veterans Affairs.

But it was a civil case and not a criminal case. And there's certainly a lot more at stake when incarceration is the consequence of your verdict.

tony b.

"Kid, these are my f**kin' work clothes."
"You look good in them golf shoes. You should buy 'em"
Re: Jury Duty #143247
01/15/06 11:04 AM
01/15/06 11:04 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I never served on a Grand Jury, but I think, if you get selected it can be for at least a year no? Not sure how that works.

I know they do take financial hardship into consideration, and if your employer only pays for say 3 days, they may put you on a short trial, and if you don't get paid at all, most likely you won't get selected. I know I couldn't afford to serve for any lengthy period without pay.

In California, the jury pay was only $7.00 a day,but recently it went up to, I believe $15. a day (we got a raise :p ), and gas expense one way only.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Jury Duty #143248
01/15/06 01:39 PM
01/15/06 01:39 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
plaw's right: a grand jury is essentially a rubber stamp for the prosecution. The defendent isn't even represented during the proceedings. The general idea is that unless there's a hole in the prosecution's case big enough to drive a truck through, the grand jury will choose to "return a true bill" and let a "petite jury" determine innocence or guilt.
There are pros and cons to a grand jury, vs. a petite (standard) jury:
A grand jury actually has work to do. You do get to hear evidence; and even though it's basically a rubber stamp, it can be an interesting insight into crime and police work. By contrast, being called for a regular jury in NJ is an exercise in mistreatment and boredom: they keep you cooped up all day in a big bullpen; you seldom even get called into a courtroom; most of the cases being heard are civil; and even if you're seated on a jury, chances are the lawyers will agree to a settlement before the case is heard. So, your "civic duty" is just a prop for lawyers' maneuvering.
But, as you point out, service is long, and you lose your own time, big time.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Jury Duty #143249
01/25/06 02:43 AM
01/25/06 02:43 AM
Flame Angel Offline
Made Member
Flame Angel  Offline
Made Member
guess who got picked 3 days at least of sitting silently in a courtroom listening....and after day 1 it still seems fun to me

i just feel so bad for the people who got picked who have legitimate excuses that they werent even allowed to bring b4 the judge i know not everyone is going to want to be there like me, but for some of these people they have real conflicts with this whole thing

and then there r the people who tried their hardest to get out of it for no reasons at all and STILL got picked and i love it

"pretty in punk..." setting off metal detectors in a town near you
Re: Jury Duty #143250
01/25/06 02:48 AM
01/25/06 02:48 AM
Los Angeles
Letizia B. Offline
Underboss
Letizia B.  Offline
Underboss
Los Angeles
Excited? Actually you know what, that's a good thing that you got picked; better they pick the people who want to do it, you know? Anyway, good luck, and have fun!

Re: Jury Duty #143251
03/07/06 08:39 PM
03/07/06 08:39 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA
I just got this letter today - the day before I was supposed to report:
Code:
               SUPERIOR COURT OF NEW JERSEY
                      OCEAN VICINAGE

Dear J Geoff:

This is to inform you that you have been excused
from jury service on: March 8, 2006.

Jury Manager

Thank goodness!! I really was NOT looking forward to doing this once/week for 16 weeks!! Especially since I'd have to start tomorrow, and, the next day I'm going away and could've used the time to get things ready!

Sorry, Flame - I'll have to wait to share your "excitement"!!! (How was it, anyway?)

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Jury Duty #143252
03/07/06 08:48 PM
03/07/06 08:48 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Ha ha!! How funny, because I just got a jury summons today for April 4th. Only, I really don't mind going. Everyone thinks I'm crazy, but I find it very interesting.

TIS

Btw, what's an acceptable "excuse" to get out of Jury Duty in NJ?

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Jury Duty #143253
03/07/06 10:11 PM
03/07/06 10:11 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA
I didn't even give them an excuse. I remember putting down self-employed, but don't recall if I really pushed it besides that. This letter just came out of the blue - perhaps divine intervention!

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Jury Duty #143254
03/08/06 01:58 AM
03/08/06 01:58 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
Good for you JG!

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones