GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Toodoped, VanillaLimeCoke, m2w), 242 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,483
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,531
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,442
Posts1,061,032
Members10,349
Most Online992
Jun 1st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Prospects for the coming year. #142536
01/06/06 02:45 PM
01/06/06 02:45 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline OP
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline OP

Gateshead, UK
This Sunday I have a pitching session, a sort of "Pop Idol" type of deal wherein I put an idea forward to a panel of would-be producers for a film to be made in February. I am currently in the pre-production stages of a film already scheduled to shoot in May.

I haven't a job yet, and don't necessarily want one, but the money would make things easier for nightclubs, the cinema, buying Sight & Sound every month and I have a week's holiday in Malia (Crete (Greeece)) booked with friends for July, so I need to start saving.

This term is supposed to be, and is, the most important of my schooling career. Essentially, it's the one that decides whether or not I'm going to University...

...and on that front, I bought a calendar the other day, and my friend turned to me and said, "You know what's weird? How you're going to be using that when you're at uni." True; I'd be starting in September this year. I am moving away. Exeter is probably the most tasty course for me. Look at where Exeter is in the UK compared to Newcastle (closest city to my town). It's an absolute country's-worth journey there.

This is going to be a very unpredictable, hectic, and interesting year for me to explore myself further in the dark jungles of adolescence.
---
What about you guys, what does this year hold for you?

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Prospects for the coming year. #142537
01/06/06 02:50 PM
01/06/06 02:50 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Except for films, the same old shit. Hopefully I'll complete one of my scripts or books in 2006 and show it to my fellow BB.Net pals, see if it works or not.

As for movies, 2006 should be interesting. From Bryan Singer's summer blockbuster comic book flick SUPERMAN RETURNS to Michael Mann's MIAMI VICE to Sofia Coppola's MARIE ANTOINETTE and so on.

Re: Prospects for the coming year. #142538
01/06/06 03:30 PM
01/06/06 03:30 PM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
In a month's time I have to come up with a thesis topic for my Master's degree in Electrical Engineering and start working on it. My "stretch goal" for this year is to do enough research work to be able to publish a paper before the end of the year. Plus my next semester is starting tomorrow, I have 3 tough courses. There is a lot of expectation of me from everyone here, especially my professor. This is a very crucial year for me.

Re: Prospects for the coming year. #142539
01/06/06 05:47 PM
01/06/06 05:47 PM
east coast
Anthony Lombardi Offline
Anthony Lombardi  Offline

east coast
i'm moving to chicago later this year - which is half a country away from where i currently live & a great deal away from everyone i know. this year will, without a doubt, bring the most change i've ever had the deal with in my life - i'll be a young kid alone in a big city without any family. it's going to be tough.

that film deal sounds exciting though, subsequent to say alot of hard work & baggage obviously comes along with it as well - good luck, strong will & determination will preserve your desires to do whatever you choose to.

the power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it. george bernard shaw
Re: Prospects for the coming year. #142540
01/06/06 07:56 PM
01/06/06 07:56 PM
world
thug Offline
Underboss
thug  Offline
Underboss
world
Quote:
Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
This Sunday I have a pitching session, a sort of "Pop Idol" type of deal wherein I put an idea forward to a panel of would-be producers for a film to be made in February. I am currently in the pre-production stages of a film already scheduled to shoot in May.

I haven't a job yet, and don't necessarily want one, but the money would make things easier for nightclubs, the cinema, buying Sight & Sound every month and I have a week's holiday in Malia (Crete (Greeece)) booked with friends for July, so I need to start saving.

This term is supposed to be, and is, the most important of my schooling career. Essentially, it's the one that decides whether or not I'm going to University...

...and on that front, I bought a calendar the other day, and my friend turned to me and said, "You know what's weird? How you're going to be using that when you're at uni." True; I'd be starting in September this year. I am moving away. Exeter is probably the most tasty course for me. Look at where Exeter is in the UK compared to Newcastle (closest city to my town). It's an absolute country's-worth journey there.

This is going to be a very unpredictable, hectic, and interesting year for me to explore myself further in the dark jungles of adolescence.
---
What about you guys, what does this year hold for you?
Is this film in May another short? If so, you're sure doing a lot of pre-production (unless that includes the writing of the script). Good luck with it and the pitch this Sunday (not to mention everything else happening within the next year) and be sure to keep us updated.

I myself am working on two long-term film-related projects, though neither of them are "personal films." One of them will be a promotional documentary for my school; that is, something along the lines of Triumph of the Will. Not that I don't like my school or any of the people that go there or attend (because I do like it), but I can't help feel like I'm selling out at such a young age. I will be directing it, but a group of friends are helping. This will be good for me because it will get me much needed community service hours plus will look very good on my resume if/when I apply for film school. And since even if they do turn it down we will still be able to take advantage of those benefits, we are seriously considering "putting our own stamp on it." That is, the result could end up being something like Godard directing a Star Wars movie; not a Star Wars movie at all, but solely a Godard one.

And the other project is, more or less, a TV show that will probably not end up on TV. While, I don't see any meetings with any networks in the future, the shows will still get an audience, hoepfully, via the internet. My friend has a website and will be putting them online (I'll post a link whenever we get one finished). My friends and I (the same ones), have ten episodes planned, and ideas from then one. We plan to use detailed outlines instead of scripts which will either end up bite us in the ass or making the final product stand out. I am the co-creator and will write most of the episodes, along with starring in them. It's going to be a black comedy.

"I could dance with you until the cows come home...on second thought I'd rather dance with the cows when you come home."

Groucho Marx - Duck Soup

--------------------

Everyone Join The New Film Boards! http://moviefan.proboards20.com
Re: Prospects for the coming year. #142541
01/06/06 08:36 PM
01/06/06 08:36 PM
Some anonymous motel room.
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony Lombardi:
i'm moving to chicago later this year - which is half a country away from where i currently live & a great deal away from everyone i know. this year will, without a doubt, bring the most change i've ever had the deal with in my life - i'll be a young kid alone in a big city without any family. it's going to be tough.
Are you leaving for a college or something?

Anyway, I'm relatively annoyed with making a decision. I really don't know what I want to do. I would love to be either a director or actor, but don't know if I should go to New York or L.A. Being myself I keep putting off any thought on it, but I realize more and more that it won't be long at all. I think I'm mostly intimidated by the idea of going from this shitsplat city on my own to a huge city. Hell, I have a relative who went to NYC to become an actor and he ended up in odd jobs, so I don't know. I'm hoping to have business or computers as a backup in college.

I'm also working on a script I plan on finishing before graduating, but I'm stuck in writer's block and I'm beginning to hate it, which has happened through several of my movie ideas. I just don't want to fail at this and end up coming back home to work in a cubicle.

Considering I have no money to finance a film, nor could I in the next few years, I feel like a directing path would have to begin with exploitation films, which plain and simple, I'd fucking hate.

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006
Re: Prospects for the coming year. #142542
01/06/06 08:50 PM
01/06/06 08:50 PM
DonVitoCorleone Offline
Underboss
DonVitoCorleone  Offline
Underboss
I'm pretty much in the same boat as Vercetti, although acting is my only ambition, not directing or writing.

I plan to major in economics and take some film and acting classes on the side. I think I'd be a pretty versatile actor, considering people have told me I look completely different each and every time they see me. My looks have been compared to Robert DeNiro, Al Pacino, Mr. Bean, Monk (Tony Shalhoub), Harrison Ford, The Karate Kid, Jim Morrison, and Joe Namath. Plus, my facial hair grows fast, and I can add and drop pounds in a flash.

My height may be a problem though -- I'm only 5'4". But hey, did that ever stop Dustin Hoffman and Al Pacino?

If any aspiring film directors here need a leading actor to collaborate with, I'm your guy.

I dig farmers don't shoot me please!
Re: Prospects for the coming year. #142543
01/06/06 10:07 PM
01/06/06 10:07 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Funny, how in the advanced age of mid-50 ish you look back on years instead of forward and say...wow, that year went by in a flash. And you measure years in who died.

BUT...I have some interesting prospects. Relocating SOUTH. Changing jobs. Being a grandfather...maybe. Carpe diem - seize the day.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Prospects for the coming year. #142544
01/07/06 07:04 PM
01/07/06 07:04 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Lombardi, your opening paragraph puts you more or less in the same boat as me. Two wanderers in the desert -- have you seen Gerry (2001)?

Thug, it is a lot of pre-production, and the same amount of justifying bullshit; it's the same filmmaking academy I made The Little Match Girl with late last year, just the groups have been shuffled, and since I was director last time, I'm probably going to get a shitty role this time I'm not interested in: producer is far too creatively reductive for me. Anyway, that project is funding-dependent right now.

The one I'm pitching for tomorrow (again, same academy) has the potential to be well-funded and very personal, if mine is chosen. If it isn't, I'm more or less in the same boat as the last paragraph.

These are the one(s) set in concrete; I can't wait to get back into a more personal, intimate project, with limited cast and my power over everything. I'm going to be a struggling Wellesian director if I ever make a career out of this. The industry would hate me. I hate the industry, though, so that's okay.

Don't feel like you're selling out. Do it in an honest way and it can sometimes be even more rewarding, and challenging, than making an entirely personal project: look how Van Sant gets his distinctive vision even into mainstream productions such as Good Will Hunting. Other examples elude me right now. Good look with that.

Re: Prospects for the coming year. #142545
01/08/06 02:31 AM
01/08/06 02:31 AM
east coast
Anthony Lombardi Offline

east coast
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
Are you leaving for a college or something?
in the long run, yes, but there are a variety of different reasons why i'm going.

Quote:
...have you seen Gerry (2001)?
no i haven't - but i IMDB'd it & it looks interesting. worth checking out?

the power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it. george bernard shaw
Re: Prospects for the coming year. #142546
01/08/06 03:16 AM
01/08/06 03:16 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
Quote:
Originally posted by MaryCas:
Funny, how in the advanced age of mid-50 ish you look back on years instead of forward and say...wow, that year went by in a flash. And you measure years in who died.
I don't think that has to do with being in mid 50s, I'm going to hit 30 soon and I really wish I knew what I want to do with the rest of my life. I think once school and all the fun of moving out, experiencing the world, excitement and adventure is gone and settled, life isn't but the little daily events and keep repeating yourself.

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: Prospects for the coming year. #142547
01/08/06 08:31 AM
01/08/06 08:31 AM
It's fun to stay in the YMCA
Turi Giuliano Offline
Turi Giuliano  Offline

It's fun to stay in the YMCA
Let us know how the 'pitching' session went when you get time Mick. I love being on that sort of stage - trying to sell something you're passionate about.

You're also going to love Uni. Exeter is a hell of a distance. Make sure it's the right one. Me, I couldn't remain too far south for too long. Don't ask for scraps or gravy at a chippy down there. They'll look at you wierd. Plus you'll have to get used to drinking bacardi breezers and blue wkd's.

Me? I'm hoping to scrape through this year at Uni. I'm really struggling. I'm also hoping to get a lot of dads angry and make some girls cry.

So die all who betray Giuliano
Re: Prospects for the coming year. #142548
01/08/06 09:18 AM
01/08/06 09:18 AM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
I hope to make nobody cry.
I hope to become somewhat better.
I hope to do something worthy.

I know, I'm asking too much...

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.
Re: Prospects for the coming year. #142549
01/08/06 12:43 PM
01/08/06 12:43 PM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
The only thing i have to look forward to is work,work,work
Oh yes. My wife & i are expecting a baby in July!
Which is nice

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Prospects for the coming year. #142550
01/08/06 01:21 PM
01/08/06 01:21 PM
Right here, but I'd rather be ...
long_lost_corleone Offline
Underboss
long_lost_corleone  Offline
Underboss
Right here, but I'd rather be ...
I don't ask for too much this year. I have three basic foci of achievement this year:

1.) As already stated on these boards, I would like to start collecting my music on vinyl.

2.) Gradually set aside about $1600 for a simply beautiful new bass guitar I've been desiring since I began playing the bass, five years ago (the Rickenbacker 4003, for any other musicians, or anyone familiar with musical instruments).

3.) Probably my biggest goal, shoot the short film I wrote last August or September, which is set to be entered into my school's film festival.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."
Re: Prospects for the coming year. #142551
01/08/06 05:19 PM
01/08/06 05:19 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Lombardi, I find Gerry one of the most assured, profound pieces of Cinema ever made.

For those of you interested, details of today's pitching session can be found here .

Re: Prospects for the coming year. #142552
01/08/06 05:25 PM
01/08/06 05:25 PM
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

A shame Van Sant is going back into mainstream films for a while. I tried downloading Gerry about a week ago with no success. If it's half as good as Last Days and Elephant the Death trilogy may become one of the highest rated trilogies ever for me.

Anyway, I'm off to begin one of my main prospects this year. Moving up into A's starting with heavy studying for exams.

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006
Re: Prospects for the coming year. #142553
01/08/06 08:54 PM
01/08/06 08:54 PM
east coast
Anthony Lombardi Offline

east coast
Quote:
Lombardi, I find Gerry one of the most assured, profound pieces of Cinema ever made.
i added it to my list of movies to see - whenever i get to it, i'll make sure to let you know what i thought.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull