GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 641 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,796
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,357
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,528
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,418
Posts1,060,589
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Transit strike NYC #140700
12/21/05 02:28 PM
12/21/05 02:28 PM
Tennessee
AngelaMarie Offline OP
Underboss
AngelaMarie  Offline OP
Underboss
Tennessee
I'm sure you've all heard about this. Anybody here affected by it?

New Yorkers make chilly trek for second day
Transit union to dispute $1 million in daily fines for strike

Wednesday, December 21, 2005; Posted: 11:26 a.m. EST (16:26 GMT)

Manhattan-bound pedestrians cross the Brooklyn Bridge, as the transit strike entered its second day.
WATCH Browse/Search

Millions forced to find another way to work (2:58)

Strike leads to creative commuting (1:36)

Union leader announces strike by transit workers (3:55)
RELATED
Interactive: Strike by the numbers

• Interactive: Getting around NYC
• NY'ers find alternatives
• Your emails: Creative commutes
• FindLaw: NYCTA vs. TWU
QUICKVOTE
Were New York transit workers right to strike?
Yes
No
or View Results
YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS

New York
Labor Dispute
or Create Your Own
Manage Alerts | What Is This? NEW YORK (CNN) -- New Yorkers made a below-freezing trek to work Wednesday as the citywide transit strike that has halted the nation's largest public transportation system entered its second day.

The strike has forced millions of people to adopt creative ways of getting around -- or simply abandoning plans altogether.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg said the economic consequences of the strike, which began at the height of the holiday shopping season, range "from severe to devastating, depending on the business."

An attorney for the Transport Workers Union, Arthur Schwartz, said he plans to appeal the $1 million-a-day fines levied by a state Supreme Court judge, who ruled the strike illegal. (Full story)

State Supreme Court Justice Theodore Jones found the union in contempt of court for ignoring two injunctions barring its workers from striking. New York's Taylor Law forbids transit workers from striking, and the city and state had pressed the judge to impose a hefty fine.

"There are no winners in the strike," Bloomberg said Tuesday. "Everyone is a loser here."

He lambasted union leaders, saying they had "walked out on New York City," and adding there will be no negotiations with the union until workers return to their jobs. (Watch the mayor urge an end to the strike -- 4:30)

The transit strike is the first in the city since 1980. (A map for the transit strike)

The union's 33,000 members are seeking raises, improved health plans and a stronger pension fund, which faces a $1 billion shortfall, according to Roger Toussaint, head of Local 100 of the Transport Workers Union.

On Monday, the union rejected an offer by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority that included a three-year contract with wage increases of up to 4 percent each year. Workers had been asking for an 8 percent annual wage increase.

Hours before the strike, Toussaint said workers were prepared to lower their wage increase demands to below 6 percent if the transit authority agreed to reduce the number of disciplinary actions launched against workers and grant other concessions.

Another major sticking point involves having new hires pay 1 percent of their pay toward health benefits and keeping the retirement age at 62.

Metropolitan Transportation Authority Chairman Peter Kalikow stressed the deal would not cut health care or pensions for any employee "by one penny."

Toussaint said the offer "guarantees the next generation of transit workers will be worse off than this generation."

The strike caused chaos during Tuesday's morning and afternoon rush hours, with about 7 million people who usually ride the system jamming cars, negotiating with taxi drivers and packing streets to get to work. Traffic was snarled for miles. (Read how the strike forced commuters to think on their feet)

Bloomberg said the city stands to lose more than $400 million a day, with the strike affecting everything from the restaurant and hotel industries to working-class New Yorkers who could lose their jobs as a result.

Re: Transit strike NYC #140701
12/21/05 02:41 PM
12/21/05 02:41 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
One of the best stories that I heard on the news was that some of the striking MTA workers, who had picket line duty in Manhatten, drove their cars over to New Jersey and took the New Jersey PATH TRAIN into Manhatten!

How ironic that the guys who have shut down public transportation in NYC used public transportation in New Jersey to get to New York City!

The union is being fined $1`million per day for every day that they are on strike. The workers will be fined two days pay for every day that they are on strike.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Transit strike NYC #140702
12/21/05 02:43 PM
12/21/05 02:43 PM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

DC- I could be wrong but in the end no matter how much of a raise they get won't the workers still wind up losing out because of the pay they are missing/ being fined?

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: Transit strike NYC #140703
12/21/05 02:58 PM
12/21/05 02:58 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
Originally posted by DonMichaelCorleone:
DC- I could be wrong but in the end no matter how much of a raise they get won't the workers still wind up losing out because of the pay they are missing/ being fined?
Well in theory, you are correct. But it all depends on what is agreed upon if the Union and The MTA come to a contract agreement.

What usually is done is that the company imposes a daily fine on the workers for as long as they are out on strike.
If and when a contract agreement is reached, one of the conditions that the union ususally demands upon acceptance of the new contract, is that the company, or in this case the MTA, forgive all fines due to them by the workers as a result of the strike. And in most cases, in the end, the workers are not fined.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Transit strike NYC #140704
12/21/05 03:02 PM
12/21/05 03:02 PM
Tennessee
AngelaMarie Offline OP
Underboss
AngelaMarie  Offline OP
Underboss
Tennessee
Schools are being delayed by two hours. I heard a lot of students weren't able to get there at all yesterday.

Edited to add: link to Alternative transportation info.

Re: Transit strike NYC #140705
12/21/05 03:14 PM
12/21/05 03:14 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
.....when a contract agreement is reached, one of the conditions that the union ususally demands upon acceptance of the new contract is that the MTA, forgive all fines due to them by the workers as a result of the strike. And in most cases, in the end, the workers are not fined.
That's what happened in the last two NYC transit strikes, one in 1980 and one in the 1960's, both of which were settled pretty quickly if I recall correctly.

I have a feeling, though, that this one is gonna be a lot messier and last a bit longer than the others.

The Metropolitan Transit Authority, which runs the NYC mass transit system, supposedly has a huge surplus of funds, and I suspect that they could be making a more generous offer to the workers.

As usual, I find myself on the side of the workers in these matters, since a strike is the only real weapon that they have, however New York State has a law which prohibits municipal workers from striking.

While I feel that such a law is unfair, and that generally speaking any workers should have the right to strike, since in this case there is a law against it, and since those who go to work for the Transiyt Authority know this in advance, so in effect by agreeing to work for the Transit Authority in the first place thay are acknowledging that they are giving up this right, I agree that the strike is illegal and that the union should be fined and possibly decertified.

As far as fining the individual workers goes, that's a bit trickier. I'm not sure where I stand on that one.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Transit strike NYC #140706
12/21/05 03:57 PM
12/21/05 03:57 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
I'm affected in that all I see and hear on the news is this story

Re: Transit strike NYC #140707
12/21/05 05:19 PM
12/21/05 05:19 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I'm lucky enough to have a reverse commute further up into the Hudson Valley, so I haven't been directly affected. My husband, however, commutes across the TZ Bridge and the amount of traffic the past two days has made a bad situation even worse.

I have seen the footage of people in the city on the news every night, and I feel so bad for them. It's been awful.

As for who is right and who is wrong, I'm not sure. My grandfather was very pro-union and would never allow any member of our family to cross a picket line. We often forget that the rights that many union workers take for granted today were unheard of just a generation or two ago. My grandfather pointed out that many people died just for the right to JOIN a union if they wanted to.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Transit strike NYC #140708
12/21/05 05:39 PM
12/21/05 05:39 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
Originally posted by plawrence:

As usual, I find myself on the side of the workers in these matters, since a strike is the only real weapon that they have, however New York State has a law which prohibits municipal workers from striking.

While I feel that such a law is unfair, and that generally speaking any workers should have the right to strike, .

As far as fining the individual workers goes, that's a bit trickier. I'm not sure where I stand on that one.
I agree. I think that a union should have the right to strike, and that making it illegal for a union to strike is unfair. As you said, the threat of a strike is the only real weapon that members of a union have, and the right to strike weilds a lot of power when negotiating a contract.

As far as fining an individual worker for each day that they strike, well I think that should be illegal. You want to fine the union as a whole, fine. But to also fine each worker individually is, in my opinion, a form of union busting. What you are telling the workers is that even though they may belong to a union, and the union members have voted to strike, if you don't cross that picketline then we are going to fine you and cost you more money on top of the pay that you are already losing by being on strike. It's a union busting tactic.

And speaking of Union Busting tactics, let's remember that when Mayor Bloomberg ran for office in the first mayoral election, one of his plans was to possibly sell the transit authority and privatized it. But one of the reasons that this did not happen during his first term was because of the union and the benfits it had gotten the MTA employees. Probably too expensive for some private company to handle. So when you say that you think that this strike could get ugly, well I agree because I have this feeling that Bloomberg and the city just may take this opportunity to try and break the union, which would eventually make it either cheaper for the city to run the MTA or make it more lucrative to sell to a private company.

SB, your grandfatehr is correct. Years ago many people died for the right to form a union to get them a better wage and better working conditions.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: Transit strike NYC #140709
12/21/05 05:47 PM
12/21/05 05:47 PM

Am I correct in assuming the only money a union has is the money paid to them by the workers? If so isn't that double fining the workers? Wouldn't fees go up or in some way reflect back to the workers (I highly doubt union officials are going to take any hits)?

Re: Transit strike NYC #140710
12/21/05 06:27 PM
12/21/05 06:27 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
All very true, but, as I said earlier.....

Those who go to work for the Transit Authority know that (striking is illegal) in advance, so in effect by agreeing to work for the Transit Authority in the first place thay are acknowledging that they are giving up this right.

Should police be permitted to strike? Firemen? The military?

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Transit strike NYC #140711
12/21/05 07:13 PM
12/21/05 07:13 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Remember Reagan and the air traffic controllers? It's immaterial if I think that they should or shouldn't strike. If they signed a pledge NOT to strike, then they shouldn't. A pledge is a pledge.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Transit strike NYC #140712
12/21/05 07:45 PM
12/21/05 07:45 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Quote:
Originally posted by Sicilian Babe:
Remember Reagan and the air traffic controllers? It's immaterial if I think that they should or shouldn't strike. If they signed a pledge NOT to strike, then they shouldn't. A pledge is a pledge.
And didn't he fire them all too?

So are these transit workers buses, subway workers or all forms of transit? Are they striking for better benefits as well?

I can imagine what a mess NYC is. I didn't think anyone there drives. Wouldn't the cab companies be raking in the money now or are they included in this strike? That's really too bad. Something like that can really have a great affect on a city as big as NYC.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Transit strike NYC #140713
12/21/05 09:02 PM
12/21/05 09:02 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
Originally posted by DonMichaelCorleone:
Am I correct in assuming the only money a union has is the money paid to them by the workers? If so isn't that double fining the workers? Wouldn't fees go up or in some way reflect back to the workers (I highly doubt union officials are going to take any hits)?
A strong union usually has what's called a "Strike Fund."

The strike fund monies can be used for many different things. Remember that now that the union is on strike, they are not taking in union dues. So that's where the strike fund comes in. If the workers are out on strike for a certain amount of time, then the union can dip into the strike fund and "pay" the workers that are on strike a nominal amount of money for picket duty.

Let's just say that the union has a big strike fund and they are paying their members who are on strike $80 per week. And out of that $80 they might take $5 for union dues which goes back into running the Local Union, and paying a % to the International or parent Union.

The strike fund can also be used to pay certain fines on behalf of the members. But keep in mind that the strike fund MUST be a large one to handle all these things, and the local union still has to give the International Union their share of the dues. Of course, in the event of a strike, the International Union can wave the monies that the local union gives them. And the International can even subsidze the Local Unions strike fund.

But in this case, the International or parent Union has said that they do not support the Local Union's decision to stage a strike. So I highly doubt that the International Union is waving any fee that they have coming to them from the Local Union, and it's also doubtful that the International Union is subsidizing the Local Union in any way.

It is also not uncommon for sister unions, or even other unions for that matter, to pledge monies to another union that is out on strike for a lengthy amount of time.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: Transit strike NYC #140714
12/21/05 09:23 PM
12/21/05 09:23 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Quote:
Originally posted by Sicilian Babe:
I'm lucky enough to have a reverse commute further up into the Hudson Valley, so I haven't been directly affected.
Whereabouts in the Hudson Valley? I live in Montgomery and work at West Point

Re: Transit strike NYC #140715
12/21/05 11:00 PM
12/21/05 11:00 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
DC
Are you being affected by this? I wonder why they didn't wait till after the holidays to strike. I wouldn't want to give up my paycheck this time of year.

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: Transit strike NYC #140716
12/21/05 11:05 PM
12/21/05 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mignon:
DC
Are you being affected by this? I wonder why they didn't wait till after the holidays to strike. I wouldn't want to give up my paycheck this time of year.
Mig- Maybe knowing that it was the holidays and everyone was going to be traveling they figured the threat of a strike would help them get their demands.

Re: Transit strike NYC #140717
12/21/05 11:51 PM
12/21/05 11:51 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Mignon:
DC
Are you being affected by this?
No. I haven't used public transportation to get to work in about 10 years. And I do not drive directly into Manhatten.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: Transit strike NYC #140718
12/22/05 12:58 AM
12/22/05 12:58 AM
Graveyard
The Iceman Offline
Official BB Hitman
The Iceman  Offline
Official BB Hitman
Underboss
Graveyard
I just came across this article pertaining to this issue.

Clicky!

As far as I'm concerned the union leaders, and everyday workers should get fined and serve jail time. Since they are breaking state law.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull