GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Irishman12, Millspgh), 590 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,796
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,357
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,528
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,417
Posts1,060,578
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Actors: James Stewart #137179
11/29/05 08:39 PM
11/29/05 08:39 PM
Hell
Mike Sullivan Offline OP
Underboss
Mike Sullivan  Offline OP
Underboss
Hell
As an actor in the studio system during the 1930's, many times you would be shuffled from film to film, sometimes on a weakly basis. Thus was the fate of many actors at the time, many whom we've now forgotten but some who have been able to stand above the system are still household names to this day, icons of a still very young medium of art; one of these lucky individuals being James Stewart.

Working with director Frank Capra during the late 190's, Stewart rose from the many B-Films he was assigned to at M-G-M and rose o star status with the projects at Columbia Pictures with "You Can't Take It With You" and "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" giving him his most successful films to date and "Smith" bringing him a nomination for Best Actor in 1939, a year that brought along so many ingenious roles whether it been Clark Cable's marvelous read of "Rhett Butler" or Robert Donat's Oscar-Winning role in "Goodbye Mr. Chips". Not a bad deal for aman who started his professional career doing summer stock with best friend Henry Fonda.

Mostly attributed to his success is no doubt his "aw-shucks", boy next door charm with his tall but lanky appearance. He was a man, just like any man you'd see in any-town, USA circa 1940 and this in turn leads us to the one element that allowed for Stewart to remain a star for so many years: He brought truth to the screen and gave his all to a role.

In 1940, he was nominated again for an Oscar, this time for his role opposite Katherine Hepburn and Cary Grant in "The Philadelphia Story". It is the role for which he would win an Oscar, usually thought up as a consolation prize for being snubbed the previous year for his role as "Jefferson Smith". His career would come to a stand-still as World War II broke. Stewart was among the first stars in Hollywood to enlist in the military and is perhaps the most highly decorated star to of served during war, serving a tour of duty, flying over Europe as a bomber pilot. It is however here that there a massive change in the man, being scared by the horrors of the war and the scenes he was witness to. He now questions how he can even make a living as an actor.

But ol' buddy Frank Capra came to him with the script for a new film based on a short story by Philip Van Doren, "It's a Wonderful Life". The darker image of Stewart is now seen here, bring perfectly the character of George Bailey, the disillusioned small town man held Beck from his life ambitions by his obligations to his people and whom considers suicide during a Christmas Eve after his building and loan institution faces trouble with an auditor. He is the heart and soul of the film and he was nominated again for another Oscar in 1947.

IN 1948, Stewart would start his historic collaboration with Alfred Hitchcock, the first film resulting in "Rope" . The collaboration wasn't outstanding, Stewart being un-happy with the final product but that wouldn't stop him from returning to Hitchcock in 1954 for "Rear Window"; playing a voyeur photojournalist who is suspicious of his neighbor who may of committed murder or in 1956 for "The Man Who Knew To Much" and of course Hitchcock's masterpiece, "Vertigo"; Stewart playing a detective plagued by acrophobia who is contracted by a friend to surveil his wife who is suicidal. Again, Stewart's persona was pushed as he gave a great reading of an amazingly complex role, bringing all the rage and pain that was needed to successfully pull it off. It serves not as Hitch's best film but Stewart's finest hour.

Hitchcock brought Stewart into the 1950's and brought to him a new depth that would allow him to stick around for his other collaborations, one of which being with director Anthony Mann who cast him in several westerns which have now been considered turning points in the genre such as "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" and "Winchester '73".

In the 1970's and '80's, Stewart's career dwindled as he took to the life of a former Hollywood idol, adored by fans and critics alike. He died in 1997 at the age of 89. His long and amazing life story serves for us all as a beacon of what a person can do, bringing forward an art form while serving his nation in it's time of need and being a truly good man.

Note: After leaving the USAAF (United States Army Air Force), Stewart joined the Air Force Reserves and gained the rank of Brigadier General.

Madness! Madness!
- Major Clipton
The Bridge On The River Kwai

GOLD - GOLD - GOLD - GOLD. Bright and Yellow, Hard and Cold, Molten, Graven, Hammered, Rolled, Hard to Get and Light to Hold; Stolen, Borrowed, Squandered - Doled.
- Greed

Nothing Is Written
Lawrence Of Arabia
Re: The Actors: James Stewart #137180
11/29/05 09:51 PM
11/29/05 09:51 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Sullivan:
In the 1970's and '80's, Stewart's career dwindled as he took to the life of a former Hollywood idol, adored by fans and critics alike.
James Stewart will always have a special place in my heart. He was simply one of the greatest actors of all time!

Late in his career he used to appear every so often on Johnny Carson's "Tonight Show". His segments were always well received, and they were, in fact, something to look forward to. One in particular stands out and I don't think I'll ever forget it. He wrote a poem about his dog, and it had me in tears (Johnny Carson was misting up as well). Nobody could deliver a simple poem or story like Stewart, and this was him at his best. If you ever get to see the 3 disk version of "The Best of Carson" this segment is on it.

Read it for yourself imagining James Stewart reading it to the audience (its called "Beau"):

He never came to me when I would call
Unless I had a tennis ball,
Or he felt like it,
But mostly he didn't come at all.

When he was young
He never learned to heel
Or sit or stay,
He did things his way.

Discipline was not his bag
But when you were with him things sure didn't drag.
He'd dig up a rosebush just to spite me,
And when I'd grab him, he'd turn and bite me.

He bit lots of folks from day to day,
The delivery boy was his favorite prey.
The gas man wouldn't read our meter,
He said we owned a real man-eater.

He set the house on fire
But the story's long to tell.
Suffice it to say that he survived
And the house survived as well.

On the evening walks, and Gloria took him,
He was always first out the door.
The Old One and I brought up the rear
Because our bones were sore.

He would charge up the street with Mom hanging on,
What a beautiful pair they were!
And if it was still light and the tourists were out,
They created a bit of a stir.

But every once in a while, he would stop in his tracks
And with a frown on his face look around.
It was just to make sure that the Old One was there
And would follow him where he was bound.

We are early-to-bedders at our house--
I guess I'm the first to retire.
And as I'd leave the room he'd look at me
And get up from his place by the fire.

He knew where the tennis balls were upstairs,
And I'd give him one for a while.
He would push it under the bed with his nose
And I'd fish it out with a smile.

And before very long
He'd tire of the ball
And be asleep in his corner
In no time at all.

And there were nights when I'd feel him
Climb upon our bed
And lie between us,
And I'd pat his head.

And there were nights when I'd feel this stare
And I'd wake up and he'd be sitting there
And I reach out my hand and stroke his hair.
And sometimes I'd feel him sigh
and I think I know the reason why.

He would wake up at night
And he would have this fear
Of the dark, of life, of lots of things,
And he'd be glad to have me near.

And now he's dead.
And there are nights when I think I feel him
Climb upon our bed and lie between us,
And I pat his head.

And there are nights when I think
I feel that stare
And I reach out my hand to stroke his hair,
But he's not there.

Oh, how I wish that wasn't so,
I'll always love a dog named Beau.

Re: The Actors: James Stewart #137181
11/29/05 10:14 PM
11/29/05 10:14 PM
Hell
Mike Sullivan Offline OP
Underboss
Underboss
Hell
That was a moment I forgot to meantion. It oftenly is called one of the best things done during Carson's tenure. I saw a clip of it recently and was nearly driven to tears. Stewart's reading sent chills up my spine.

Madness! Madness!
- Major Clipton

GOLD - GOLD - GOLD - GOLD. Bright and Yellow, Hard and Cold, Molten, Graven, Hammered, Rolled, Hard to Get and Light to Hold; Stolen, Borrowed, Squandered - Doled.
- Greed

Nothing Is Written
Lawrence Of Arabia
Re: The Actors: James Stewart #137182
11/29/05 10:26 PM
11/29/05 10:26 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I do remember that poem. I don't remember if it was that particular appearance on Carson or another, but Jimmy Stewart was often teased for taking so long to make a point, always talking slowly and seemingly in no hurry. I remember Johnny making faces and rolling his eyes, only as Johnny could, waiting for Stewart to get to the point. All in a good natured way of course.

Yes, Stewart was a good actor, but to me, more appealing was his down-to-earth naturalness, which made he totally charming.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: The Actors: James Stewart #137183
11/29/05 10:46 PM
11/29/05 10:46 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
A gentleman's gentleman.

I know that he's made some real classic movies, but a few of my favorites with him are
"The Stratton Story," "The Glenn Miller Story," and "Harvey."

He also was in a gangster Movie early in his career called
"The Last Gangster" with Edward G. Robinson.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: The Actors: James Stewart #137184
11/29/05 11:51 PM
11/29/05 11:51 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
I really can't say enough about Stewart and his acting. He made it look so easy. He made it look so real.

He had tremendous "range". He could do anything: drama, comedy, suspense and action. He may be best known for his idealistic portrayals in such Capra classics as "Its a Wonderful Life" and "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington", but he was every bit as capable, and every bit at home in westerns like "How the West Was Won" and comedies like "Harvey".

One of my Stewart favorites is "Shenandoah", a wonderful telling of how one family was torn apart by our Civil War. Stewart was superb as the family's patriarch.

He was one of America's greatest treasures.

Re: The Actors: James Stewart #137185
11/30/05 12:26 AM
11/30/05 12:26 AM
Hell
Mike Sullivan Offline OP
Underboss
Underboss
Hell
've finnaly found a periodical column I can write...

If no one has any objections or misgivings about this, I'll move to Chaplin next. I've touched on these people before but I want to really write at least a mini-biography on them.

Madness! Madness!
- Major Clipton

- Greed

Nothing Is Written
Lawrence Of Arabia
Re: The Actors: James Stewart #137186
11/30/05 05:01 AM
11/30/05 05:01 AM
Lavinia from Italy Offline
Underboss
Lavinia from Italy  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Sullivan:
've finnaly found a periodical column I can write...

If no one has any objections or misgivings about this, I'll move to Chaplin next. I've touched on these people before but I want to really write at least a mini-biography on them.
WOW, Mike!!! Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much!!! I adore classic movies and actors!!! And I'm looking forward to reading your reviews and contributions!!! Keep them going, please!!

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: The Actors: James Stewart #137187
11/30/05 08:55 AM
11/30/05 08:55 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
The truly great thing about Stewart is that while he had this smooth veneer, all his characters were really wound up and "on the edge." He was always close to exploding with anger and outrage, and at the right time in all his movies he would show that side. In an odd sort of way he was a precursor to Jack Nicholson who also has the ability to let the audience know that his easy going manner is a facade for something much darker and angrier underneath.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: The Actors: James Stewart #137188
11/30/05 09:48 AM
11/30/05 09:48 AM
under there
bogey Offline
Underboss
bogey  Offline
Underboss
under there
My favorites are: Harvey, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Its a Wonderful Life, The Flight of the Phoenix, How the West Was Won, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The Man Who Knew Too Much, The Philadelphia Story, Vertigo, Rear Window... ah, I could go on for days.

He's one of my favorite actors.. any time I see a movie with him in it I always sit down and watch it. He was such a great actor. And I loovvedd his voice. Plus he wasn't so bad on the eyes

President of the long_lost_corleone Fan Club

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull