GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Toodoped, DiLorenzo, 2 invisible), 540 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,959
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,666
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,544
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,488
Posts1,061,808
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Vito Corleone: An Anti hero? #17429
08/28/04 08:16 AM
08/28/04 08:16 AM
A
astro Offline OP
Associate
astro  Offline OP
A
Associate
Hi,

i'm just wondering what makes Vito an anti hero?

It's for a assignment and any help will be greatly appreciated...

Thanks
Astro

Re: Vito Corleone: An Anti hero? #17430
08/28/04 10:06 AM
08/28/04 10:06 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
The members here can be pretty helpful, but there's usually a fee for completing homework assignments. rolleyes

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Vito Corleone: An Anti hero? #17431
08/28/04 11:20 AM
08/28/04 11:20 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally posted by astro:
Why don't you post your basic premise and maybe we can expand on it.

Re: Vito Corleone: An Anti hero? #17432
08/28/04 11:28 AM
08/28/04 11:28 AM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
Originally posted by astro:
Hi,

i'm just wondering what makes Vito an anti hero?

Thanks
Astro
In your paper, touch on the basic points. Vito exists within his own world, the criminal world. He does not believe in society's laws nor in its justice. Vito believes that no good deed should go unrewarded, while no evil deed unpunished. I think that due to the fact that he operated a criminal empire is what makes him an anti-hero. On these boards, many (myself included) tend to glorify Vito Corleone and we sometimes overlook that his brand of "justice" involves murder, bribery/corruption, illegal gambling, and using the threat of, or actual use of, violence to intimidate others.

I think if you read the novel you can get some more background into Vito's psyche and how he became to be the character we know.

Re: Vito Corleone: An Anti hero? #17433
08/28/04 10:15 PM
08/28/04 10:15 PM
A
astro Offline OP
Associate
astro  Offline OP
A
Associate
i'm not saying that i want someone else to do it for me...all i wanted was just a few pointers...i'm sorry if i implied that i wanted the members to do the paper for me

And thanks goombah for your help...also would his belief in family values attribute to his somewhat, heroism?

Re: Vito Corleone: An Anti hero? #17434
08/29/04 12:23 AM
08/29/04 12:23 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Astro, I think of an "anti-hero" as someone who does good in unconventional--even wrong--ways. Clint Eastwood in "Dirty Harry," and Steve McQueen in "Bullitt" and "Sand Pebble" come to mind.
Vito Corleone doesn't qualify by that definition. We all idolize him because he was so brilliantly portrayed by Marlon Brando, because he was a "good father," and because he was against drugs. But he opposed drugs not because he was concerned with the welfare of his community, but because he saw drugs as a threat to his regular businesses--gambling and unions. And those weren't "harmless vices," or "victimless crimes."
The big money in illegal gambling doesn't come from the odds favoring the house, but from loansharking--a business of broken kneecaps or worse. And every dollar that Vito got out of his corrupt unions was a dollar lifted from the pockets of some working stiff.
An "anti-hero"? I don't think so.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Vito Corleone: An Anti hero? #17435
08/29/04 05:49 AM
08/29/04 05:49 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally posted by Turnbull:
I think of an "anti-hero" as someone who does good in unconventional--even wrong--ways.
Maybe this would be a good time to define "anti-hero". I'd say its a notable person who has no heroic features (ie. bravery, or someone who is completely noble). I agree with your take on Vito Corleone, Turnbull, that Vito was "out for himself", and because of that I WOULD consider him to be an anti-hero.

Re: Vito Corleone: An Anti hero? #17436
08/29/04 01:47 PM
08/29/04 01:47 PM
No where
B
Boss_of_bosses Offline
Underboss
Boss_of_bosses  Offline
B
Underboss
No where
Originally posted by Turnbull:
Astro, I think of an "anti-hero" as someone who does good in unconventional--even wrong--ways. Clint Eastwood in "Dirty Harry," and Steve McQueen in "Bullitt" and "Sand Pebble" come to mind.
Vito Corleone doesn't qualify by that definition. We all idolize him because he was so brilliantly portrayed by Marlon Brando, because he was a "good father," and because he was against drugs. But he opposed drugs not because he was concerned with the welfare of his community, but because he saw drugs as a threat to his regular businesses--gambling and unions. And those weren't "harmless vices," or "victimless crimes."
The big money in illegal gambling doesn't come from the odds favoring the house, but from loansharking--a business of broken kneecaps or worse. And every dollar that Vito got out of his corrupt unions was a dollar lifted from the pockets of some working stiff.
An "anti-hero"? I don't think so.

Loanshark people are usually of what rank in the Mob? Captain, Soldier or Associate

Re: Vito Corleone: An Anti hero? #17437
08/29/04 01:50 PM
08/29/04 01:50 PM
Las Vegas
Connie_Corleone Offline
Wiseguy
Connie_Corleone  Offline
Wiseguy
Las Vegas
[/QUOTE]I agree with your take on Vito Corleone, Turnbull, that Vito was "out for himself", and because of that I WOULD consider him to be an anti-hero. [/QB][/QUOTE]

A good quote to include to back that up would be when Vito & Michael were talking in the garden, and Vito states that he "doesn't apologize ... and I refuse to be a fool ... dancing on the strings of those big-shots."

Also, here's what it says in Webster's for "antihero"
Main Entry: an·ti·he·ro
Function: noun
: a protagonist or notable figure who is conspicuously lacking in heroic qualities

So, then - what is a hero?
Main Entry: he·ro
Etymology: Latin heros, from Greek hErOs
1 a : a mythological or legendary figure often of divine descent endowed with great strength or ability b : an illustrious warrior c : a man admired for his achievements and noble qualities d : one that shows great courage
2 a : the principal male character in a literary or dramatic work b : the central figure in an event, period, or movement
3 plural usually heros : SUBMARINE 2
4 : an object of extreme admiration and devotion : IDOL

I think you could work this into an interesting paper. Good luck!

"You blamed him for Sonny -- you always did. Everybody did. But you never thought about me -- you never gave a damn about me."
Re: Vito Corleone: An Anti hero? #17438
08/30/04 12:09 PM
08/30/04 12:09 PM
New Market, MD
DeathByClotheshanger Offline
Underboss
DeathByClotheshanger  Offline
Underboss
New Market, MD
I think characters like Michael Corleone or Tony Montana from Scarface are better representatives of anti-heroes or tragic heroes. Sure Vito wasn't Superman, but really, he wasn't tragic or evil, he just existed in his world and succeeded.

There is a formula for tragic heroes I learned in Grade 10 english class. I can't remember...

Something like:

1. Hero of great importance
2. Has tragic flaw
3. Flaw effects several other people
4. Flaw destroys hero
5. Hero dies.

Something like that...

Re: Vito Corleone: An Anti hero? #17439
08/30/04 12:26 PM
08/30/04 12:26 PM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

Deathbyclotheshanger what you described was a tragic hero not an anti hero

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: Vito Corleone: An Anti hero? #17440
08/30/04 08:40 PM
08/30/04 08:40 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by Boss_of_bosses:
Loanshark people are usually of what rank in the Mob? Captain, Soldier or Associate [/QUOTE]
Loan sharks could be any rank. But, since they're basically "working stiffs," they're usually at the lowest level. Most of the loan sharks I've read about are ordinary soldiers, or more often, unmade associates.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Vito Corleone: An Anti hero? #17441
08/31/04 11:42 AM
08/31/04 11:42 AM
new york
M
mcorleone2774 Offline
Wiseguy
mcorleone2774  Offline
M
Wiseguy
new york
This is really an interesting topic...the idea of Don Vito being an anti-hero!

My thoughts are that he is an anti-hero because he draws on many great things that we associate with ourselves. For example, his love for his family and children, his love for his wife and his will not to cheat on her despite his wealth, his calmness and coolness when dealing with difficult negotiations, and his ruthlessness and destructive capabilities when threatened.

These concepts are really present in every human being, and we tend to idolize Don Vito because we know his story of humble beginnings and thirst for vengeance for his mother and father calming him until he could murder the murderers. We see a bit of ourselves in this quest.

His role of anti-hero really comes into play because of HOW he achieves these ends. He does not rely on the law for his vengeance, he relies on his own inner code of conduct. This code falls outside the boundaries of firmly established American justice (consider the first scene with Bonasera...."I believe in America. America is my home...") and how much he detests this sham of law.

In addition, he comes into his role of life through accident, and not through his own actions. He befriends Tessio and Clemenza and they are the "thugs" while he continues his search for the American Dream. It is when Fanucci comes into the picture, threatening his existence (as in losing his job) that he begins to exact his vengeance on him and amassing the wealth that he wished for his family.

Notice how we realize that Don Vito Corleone must be ruthless, must be cold, must be vengeful, but do not see this in the movie. His tactics are off-screen (Michael telling Kay the story of Luca Brasi, or the horse-head being seen in Woltz's bedroom) and this maintains our angelic treatment of the character.

Hopefully this will bring up further discussions!

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull