GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Irishman12, 1 invisible), 445 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,789
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,347
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,528
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,417
Posts1,060,560
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mike's Movie Muzings: Mr. Smith Goes To Washington (1939) #136246
11/20/05 01:59 AM
11/20/05 01:59 AM
Hell
Mike Sullivan Offline OP
Underboss
Mike Sullivan  Offline OP
Underboss
Hell
It was 1939, a year that is now being attributed as the single greatest year in the single greatest era of Hollywood history, bringing with it the release of numerous cinematic masterpieces ranging from Ernst Lubitch’s sparking comedy, “Ninotchka” to David O. Selznick’s sprawling epic which had turner the Oscar’s that year into more like a tribute to Mr. Selznick and his “Gone with the Wind”. And of course, many others films were to be snubbed, among which is director Frank Capra’s masterpiece, “Mr. Smith goes to Washington”.
It’s a morality tale in its core, a retelling of David and Goliath set in 1930’s Washington as a Junior Senator is appointed to his position following the death of his predecessor. Although naïve and blind to the corruption around him, this true American patriot who can quote Washington or Lincoln, young Jefferson Smith wises up to the ways of this dirty town and with help of friends takes on a political machine to expose them for the frauds that they are.
Although envisioned as a re-teaming of the successful Gary Cooper-Frank Capra team in which Cooper would reprise his role as Longfellow Deeds from, “Mr. Deeds goes to Town”, the project was forced to recast the lead role to James Stewart, an up and coming MGM actor who had just made a big name for himself in Capra’s previous film, “You Can’t Take It With You” Cast along side with him was Jean Arthur playing Clarissa Saunders, the prototypical Capra-esque woman who is loveable yet not naïve and with a cynical streak about her. Along side Stewart would come some of the greatest character actors including Claude Rains playing Stewarts counterpart in the Senate who acts as Stewart’s father and yet is also an integral part in a huge political machine. Also in cast would be Thomas Mitchell, playing a Washington reporter who is close friends with Miss Saunders.
Each actors holds their own on-screen and yet of course, the most praise must be heaped onto Jimmy Stewart who easily personifies Senator Smith, getting the “boy next door”, “aww shucks” role down perfectly with his fumbling of words whenever he sees a beautiful woman and his glee as he whistles down a Capitol building hall way, ready to present a bill. And of course, he allows his character to mature, showing that “he’s honest, not stupid”. This will come into play later on in the films most celebrated moment.
But let us also examine Mr. Capra’s direction. Not usually praised for his technical prowess, Capra’s excellence comes from his way with actors as he is able to bring the absolute best from each one of them. But even then, he also knows how to work with shadows when he needs them like at the second scene at the Lincoln Memorial before the filibuster. He also knows how to master the art of montage, something not seen so well executed since the Russians and Eisenstein in the 1920’s. This of course will be used very well with Capra’s pro-Allies propaganda series, “Why We Fight”, later on during World War II.
And all these things help the build up to the final filibuster as Senator Smith holds the floor in a last ditch effort to prove his innocence in a crime he was framed for due to his potential to expose the whole works and a dam building scam. Here is were Stewart really shines, giving us not only a profound statement on American democracy but showing us what a man should strive to be, giving us integrity and defining the American way. Just look at his face as he tries to plead to the senators and keep his ground; or when it looks he’s beat, and he looks devastated only to summon all his strength to try and push on… That to me is just a deft piece of acting and the centerpiece of the greatest film of 1939.
In the end, the film was awarded a best original screenplay Oscar, and at least it had garnered great critical and public praise, yet it became overshadowed by the legacy of such film contemporaries as “The Wizard of Oz” and others, yet, somehow, this film has survived much like Smith does during his final assault in the Senate. That is a true testament to the value of this work.

Madness! Madness!
- Major Clipton
The Bridge On The River Kwai

GOLD - GOLD - GOLD - GOLD. Bright and Yellow, Hard and Cold, Molten, Graven, Hammered, Rolled, Hard to Get and Light to Hold; Stolen, Borrowed, Squandered - Doled.
- Greed

Nothing Is Written
Lawrence Of Arabia
Re: Mike's Movie Muzings: Mr. Smith Goes To Washington (1939) #136247
11/20/05 02:57 AM
11/20/05 02:57 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
This movie is one of the greatest movies that wouldn't get old. Brilliant acting and a wonderful story.

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: Mike's Movie Muzings: Mr. Smith Goes To Washington (1939) #136248
11/20/05 09:26 AM
11/20/05 09:26 AM
The free Iraq
Aziatic Offline
Underboss
Aziatic  Offline
Underboss
The free Iraq
Thanks for the great post/review Mike, I put this movie on my to-see-list. Cant wait to see it. I also got "The Wizard of Oz" from 39 here ready to watch but I still didnt get to it.

Quote of the Moment:

"Fredo - you're my older brother, and I love you. But don't ever take sides with anyone against the Family again. Ever."
Michael Corleone

My DVD Collection | My Showroom
Re: Mike's Movie Muzings: Mr. Smith Goes To Washington (1939) #136249
11/20/05 08:45 PM
11/20/05 08:45 PM
Hell
Mike Sullivan Offline OP
Underboss
Underboss
Hell
Well, both films are true works of art, the later being one of the pinicales of the HOllywood musical.

Madness! Madness!
- Major Clipton

GOLD - GOLD - GOLD - GOLD. Bright and Yellow, Hard and Cold, Molten, Graven, Hammered, Rolled, Hard to Get and Light to Hold; Stolen, Borrowed, Squandered - Doled.
- Greed

Nothing Is Written
Lawrence Of Arabia
Re: Mike's Movie Muzings: Mr. Smith Goes To Washington (1939) #136250
11/20/05 09:25 PM
11/20/05 09:25 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Good review, Sully. I'm glad you got your power back.

The best thing about "Mr. Smith" (IMO) is the absolutely wonderful cast. It was perfectly filled by character actors the likes of which we simply don't see anymore. Claude Rains is wonderful as the senior senator who "turns" on the naive young Jeff Smith (he gets himself back into my good graces with the end of "Casablanca", though). Thomas Mitchell, who probably had the greatest single year of ANY actor - 1939 (he appeared also in "Stagecoach", "The Hunchback of Notre Dame", and "Gone with the Wind" that year) easily and handily filled the role of the hardened newspaper reporter who softened to Smith. Edward Arnold was deliciously evil as the political power broker, James Taylor. The best of the supporting cast was Harry Carey as the Vice-President. He DRIPPED of all that is good with America and he simply stole the show (IMO). Beulah Bondi, who later played Jimmy Stewart's mom in "Its a Wonderful Life" was every bit as good as his mother in this movie here.

Stewart was predictably wonderful as the naive young man with great ideals and Jean Arthur was cute, sexy and lovable as the seasoned Saunders who fell for Smith.

Its wonderfully paced, if even somewhat corny, but it works!! Its a MUST-SEE movie for any film fan.

BTW - Sully, if you liked this I recommend you watch "The Devil and Daniel Webster". I was lucky enough to find it on video about a year ago (its hard to come by). If your library has it - WATCH IT!!! You won't be disappointed.

Re: Mike's Movie Muzings: Mr. Smith Goes To Washington (1939) #136251
11/20/05 11:06 PM
11/20/05 11:06 PM
Hell
Mike Sullivan Offline OP
Underboss
Underboss
Hell
I heard many great things about it and I'm dying to find a DVD copy of it as well. Great actors including Walter Huston star in it so my expectations for it are high.

Thnaks for your compliments on my review. I'm startin on another Capra review for this holiday season, "It's a Wonderful Life".

Madness! Madness!
- Major Clipton

- Greed

Nothing Is Written
Lawrence Of Arabia

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull