GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 641 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,570
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,535
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,457
Posts1,061,289
Members10,349
Most Online992
Jun 1st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I've been published! #135831
11/14/05 05:58 PM
11/14/05 05:58 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline OP
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline OP

Gateshead, UK
I have finally been published. A short story I wrote for a competition earlier in the year came second and was published in Tyneside Tales, an anthology of stories based in my region. I just attended the book launch for the book, which is purchasable here .

Mick

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: I've been published! #135832
11/14/05 06:04 PM
11/14/05 06:04 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Congrats, Mick. I knew you could do it.

But "purchasable"? :rolleyes:

Look at this guy. As soon as he becomes a famous author, he wants his friends here - we who have offered him compliments, enouragement, and support all these years - to pay for his work. :p

Post the damn story, so we can all read it for free.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: I've been published! #135833
11/14/05 06:12 PM
11/14/05 06:12 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
I don't get royalties. :p

Mick

Re: I've been published! #135834
11/14/05 06:16 PM
11/14/05 06:16 PM
under there
bogey Offline
Underboss
bogey  Offline
Underboss
under there
Aw, thats great Mick! Congrats :p

President of the long_lost_corleone Fan Club
Re: I've been published! #135835
11/14/05 06:22 PM
11/14/05 06:22 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
A Tale of Memory; the Tail of Love

Unforgettable.
A summer of passion, of lust, of love.
And now it was all over. We lay there in the grass, overshadowed by that falsity of male dominance: St. James’ Park, dwarfing and destroying the natural bliss of Leazes Park beneath it.
Silence.
Oh, the silences! They spoke more than our words. The looks. The looks. Long, lasting looks of longing love.
Lament. Lament that it was now over. Or soon to be.
“Why must time exist?” I asked.
“If it didn’t exist,” she replied, “there’d be no anticipation. Nothing to look forward to.”
“It shouldn’t exist. It shouldn’t.” Like a spoilt child.
In fact, when we were together, it didn’t exist. Time merely prolonged our minds when apart: the fears, the desires, the racing excitement, the highs and the lows; but when we were together there was no time. There was no past, no future, no present. Only the moment. Only the instant. Only the eternal abyss of existence. An existence of spontaneity and of immeasurable desire. Galaxies apart and yet our bodies were one.
We lay there, looking into each other’s eyes. Sometimes she smiled. To ease the pain. It didn’t. I didn’t smile. Couldn’t smile. Seriousness. A grave certainty that this was the last time. We kissed.
Kissed. Each time it got better, magnifying the loneliness to come. Her eyes closed, her tongue gentle, her nails gliding across my neck and through my hair. Every amazing flash between us; the moment, the magnificence, the memories. All put into that one kiss. Like every kiss. She was the epicentre of my emotional earthquake.
“I don’t want you to leave,” I said. It was a silly thing to say. Like a doomed Holocaust victim pleading to live. I looked away and lay down on my back. Birds overhead. Oblivious to the turmoil around and below them. I envied them endlessly; their freedom, their elegance, their ability to become art at any moment.
“Then come with me.” She’d said it before, countless times. She brought her face over mine, cutting out the sunlight. So I could look into her eyes without squinting.
I simply sighed. You know I can’t.
“Why?” she asked.
“You know why; I’ve told you.” I looked away again, putting my head to the side. Looking along the nap of the grass and wishing I could become it. Lifeless grass, without love, without worry, without anguish. It welcomed being cut down. It relished its own death, for it was in death that it found neatness and beauty. While humans wasted away…
I couldn’t leave. Tyneside; the centre of my world. I loved her. But I also loved her. We’d spent the summer together; it had gone beyond intimate. But if time was the greatest of all measures, it was a mere fling. Nothing compared to the lifelong bond with home.
“You must remember to write everyday,” I told her. Reminded her. I’d forgotten how many times.
“I will, I will.” An attempt to reassure, but words meant nothing.
It was just us. The world did not exist. Our only company was two stone lions, sitting symmetrically on the grass with us, statues of life. I closed my eyes and pretended to be dead. Held my breath. She noticed and slapped me on the face. A playful slap. It didn’t hurt. She smiled. I closed my eyes again.
“You’re silly, you know that.”
“How come?”
“Not moving away with me. You say you love me in one breath, and that you won’t move away with me in another.”
“You don’t understand.”
“Then make me.”
“I can’t,” I snapped back. Sighed. “Words cannot express it.”
“What are you going to do?”
“I don’t know”—I didn’t know—“perhaps I’ll write a novel. A short novel. I get bored with lengthy ones. Especially when you’re around. I can’t concentrate long enough.”
“Then write a novel,” she said, as if that was that, and all things were dandy and sorted. “A short novel.”
“I don’t know.” A pause. A violent pause. They were all violent. Violently exhausting. “My prose sucks. I hate it. I can’t write fiction. I can only write about you.”
“You’re blind, you know,” she said, as if diagnosing me with cancer.
“What do you mean?”
“This isn’t the place to be. You’re going to write, but you’ll never get published. Or you said last week you’d make a film. But that would never be funded. You should move away with me. London is the place where it’s all happening. Not here.”
“You see! Now you’re blind. People need to open their eyes. There is more to England than red buses and rhyming slang. People cringe and shudder at the thoughts of the grey skies and green fields of the north. If only they forgot their self-importance for a day or two and came up here. Then they’d see.”
“What would they see?”
“I don’t know. Friendliness. Taste. Life. It’s all chaotic down there. Fancy a city where the most famous place is where people go to satisfy their sexual insecurities.”
Soho isn’t the most famous place in London.”
I ignored her. “When you say you’re from Tyneside, everybody says, ‘Wey aye man,’ in that hideous southern imitation. I’ve never heard anybody from up here say that though. Never. Never in all my life. ‘Wey aye man.’ It’s so clichéd. So archaic. So not here.”
“It’s a mark of identity, though, isn’t it,” she suggested. “It’s the way by which people recognise you.”
Exactly. That’s why it stinks of bollocks. Why recognise somebody by something which is actually very rarely said?”
I held her and she kissed me. It was nonsense. It’d gone over her head. It was alright for her. She was going to be devoured by art school and culture. Culture. What a pathetic word. If you were against culture you were racist, and if you were for culture you were a moron. There was no inbetween. No wonder we’d failed the Culture Bid. It was hideous; the campaign, the ideas, the whole initial concept in the first place.
“Then write about me,” she said, moving on, or moving back, whichever way you looked at it. “When I’m gone.”
“Perhaps I will. There’s a short story competition coming up. I never usually go in for them. Traditionalist morons from the south usually win. But perhaps this one will be different.”
“What will you write about?”
“I don’t know. Perhaps I’ll write about my affair.”
“Affair?” She was intrigued. “Go on.”
“With two people. One’s divine, an absolute goddess. She is the air I breathe, the food I eat, the film I watch, the poetry I read. She is the grass I lie on right now, the birds circling above me, the clouds passing overhead. She is the embodiment of life, and everything I wish for from it.”
She was smiling. Immune to my poetic frankness. The smile was a knowing one; almost mocking, as if my pretentiousness wasn’t to be taken seriously. But deep down she knew. She knew.
“And the other?” she asked.
“The goddess is real, and I can see her now. Feel her now. Be her now. But the other person is intangible, elusive. Neither a he nor a she. It is a place. A place of life, of a buzzing excitement which pleases me in every other way the first girl cannot. It’s awful, to be so attached to a place. Like Woody Allen, in the opening of Manhattan, when he says, ‘He adored New York City; he idolised it all out of proportion.’ I feel the same. It’s not in my heart. It’s deeper than that. It’s in my gut, in my loins, in my soul. It’s all around me. It envelops me like a hot fire. No, a warm fire. A comforting one.”
“I’ll be glad to leave.”
“Leave me?”
“No, silly.” She gestured to slap me again. “To leave here. I don’t see things in it what you do.”
“Because you’re looking. I’m not. That’s why I can never leave this place.”
Like Allen in New York, with a country between himself and Hollywood, I would stay. Stay and change the world from this modest life of growing importance. It was too easy to move south to make it big. Everybody did it. They betrayed their backgrounds in exchange for experience and pompousness.
She was staring at me. I could tell, as I lay there fiddling with a blade of grass. I met her gaze. She was serious. All very serious all very sudden. A child realising her mother’s reprimand isn’t a joke. Realising that she is just like the rest of us. Mortal. Life too short, the world too small. Le temps détruit tout. Of course. Sure. Wey aye man.
We kissed again, and this time she was crying. I held her tight and close, like my life depended on it. It was an aggressive, reassuring kiss. Remember to write. She would. But not forever. It would fizzle out. And she knew it. And so did I. Our subconscious fears fighting to spoil the moment.
But they couldn’t.
For the world spun on its axis as it always did. St. James’ Park still stood there, proud and redundant; the birds still circled overhead, oblivious and stress-free; the grass was still intensely green in the sunshine; the stone lions still sat at either side like fiercely loyal guards, looking on into eternity. And together they shaped the moment, the magnificence, the memory.
Unforgettable.

Re: I've been published! #135836
11/14/05 06:26 PM
11/14/05 06:26 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Thanks for posting it, Mick.

I would have been plenty pissed if I paid £9.95 for that. :p

Re: I've been published! #135837
11/14/05 06:36 PM
11/14/05 06:36 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Congratulations Mick. That's great news.

I must say, excellent writing.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: I've been published! #135838
11/14/05 06:44 PM
11/14/05 06:44 PM
Don Sicilia Offline
Don Sicilia  Offline

Great news! Well done!

Re: I've been published! #135839
11/14/05 06:46 PM
11/14/05 06:46 PM
DonVitoCorleone Offline
Underboss
DonVitoCorleone  Offline
Underboss
Congrats!!

Now get to working on that Weekend review.

I dig farmers don't shoot me please!
Re: I've been published! #135840
11/14/05 06:50 PM
11/14/05 06:50 PM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
Congrats Capo!

Re: I've been published! #135841
11/14/05 08:50 PM
11/14/05 08:50 PM
New York
raggingbull2003 Offline
Underboss
raggingbull2003  Offline
Underboss
New York
Excellent story man. Keep it up

"You can shear a sheep many times, but you can skin him only once."
-Amarillo Slim
Re: I've been published! #135842
11/14/05 09:50 PM
11/14/05 09:50 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Mick,

I am so happy for you. I know this is a passion of yours and am so thrilled at your success. I just knew you could do it. It's only the beginning I'm sure. Btw, you have a very poetic flair. All my best to you.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: I've been published! #135843
11/14/05 10:05 PM
11/14/05 10:05 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by plawrence:
I would have been plenty pissed if I paid £9.95 for that. :p
I'm sure Plaw didn't intend to make this sound as mean as it does. :p

Congrats, Mick! At least someone here follows through with his writing!

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: I've been published! #135844
11/14/05 10:17 PM
11/14/05 10:17 PM
Brazil
Tony Mosrite Offline
Underboss
Tony Mosrite  Offline
Underboss
Brazil
wow congrats mang!

"I'm just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick"
The Bunk
Re: I've been published! #135845
11/15/05 01:17 AM
11/15/05 01:17 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Mick -

When I first read that story back in July I thought it was good. Now, I think I'll be saying, "I knew Mick when...."

Keep those creative juices flowing! Good work!

Re: I've been published! #135846
11/15/05 01:37 AM
11/15/05 01:37 AM
AZ
Turnbull Online content
Turnbull  Online Content

AZ
Nice work, lad! Given the quality of your posts here, I'm not surprised that you've been published.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: I've been published! #135847
11/15/05 03:36 AM
11/15/05 03:36 AM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
Proud of ya Mick

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: I've been published! #135848
11/15/05 03:52 AM
11/15/05 03:52 AM
Los Angeles
Letizia B. Offline
Underboss
Letizia B.  Offline
Underboss
Los Angeles
Fabulous work, Mick! You should be proud. I wish you greater and greater accomplishments, you deserve it.

Re: I've been published! #135849
11/15/05 04:05 AM
11/15/05 04:05 AM
Lavinia from Italy Offline
Underboss
Lavinia from Italy  Offline
Underboss
First of all, CONGRATULATIONS, MICK!!! That's quite an achievement!!! And it's just the beginning, my friend!!!! Really, I knew you have talent and passion. With a bit of luck, you don't need anything else to make it! But when you get rich and famous, don’t let it go to your head, ok?

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: I've been published! #135850
11/15/05 04:56 AM
11/15/05 04:56 AM
UK
The Dr. who fixed Lucy Offline
Underboss
The Dr. who fixed Lucy  Offline
Underboss
UK
Quote:
“It’s a mark of identity, though, isn’t it,” she suggested. “It’s the way by which people recognise you.”
“Exactly. That’s why it stinks of bollocks. Why recognise somebody by something which is actually very rarely said?”
Some guys at uni were from Newcastle and they did used to say "Howay" a lot. I think they did use it sometimes in a cliquey way, but they were a nice bunch. If I hadn't known them I would never have learned what a "filthy mackem" was.

Joey ...

BANG BANG

... Saza!
Re: I've been published! #135851
11/15/05 06:17 AM
11/15/05 06:17 AM
North London
Bella Mafia UK Offline
Capo
Bella Mafia UK  Offline
Capo
North London
I thought that was excellent writing, Mick. Brilliantly structured and written, and moving too.

Keep it up, you've got a great talent

...there's people who would pay a lot of money for that information. But then your daughter would lose a father..instead of gaining a husband.
Re: I've been published! #135852
11/15/05 06:31 AM
11/15/05 06:31 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Quote:
Originally posted by J Geoff:
[quote]Originally posted by plawrence:
[b]I would have been plenty pissed if I paid £9.95 for that. :p
I'm sure Plaw didn't intend to make this sound as mean as it does. [/b][/quote]Mick knows I was kidding, dontcha' Mick?

Mick?

Actually, I thought it was very good. One line in there that I thought was truly excellent.....

....Our subconscious fears fighting to spoil the moment....

Re: I've been published! #135853
11/15/05 08:07 AM
11/15/05 08:07 AM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Congrats Mick!
From a fellow trying-to-be-published author.
That's a great achievement!
I believe you'll give us a lot of fine moments with your writing, in future!

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.
Re: I've been published! #135854
11/15/05 09:23 AM
11/15/05 09:23 AM
UK
The Dr. who fixed Lucy Offline
Underboss
The Dr. who fixed Lucy  Offline
Underboss
UK
For our American friends, the phrase "Way Aye man" should probably be explained.

It is a phrase commonly attributed to (if not actually uttered, as Capo points out) by a group of Englishmen known as "Geordies".

They also say "Tats oot" and "Ahm garn oot on tha tap tonight man".

Joey ...

BANG BANG

... Saza!
Re: I've been published! #135855
11/15/05 11:01 AM
11/15/05 11:01 AM
Top o' the World
Fame Offline
Underboss
Fame  Offline
Underboss
Top o' the World
Totally rocks!

So you stayed in your hometown, you published the novel. What about the 2nd project mentioned in the story?- the movie? Will it be funded? While you're still living in your hometown?

A few more questions,if ya dont mind :

1)You say it won 2nd place. Which story won 1st place? Did you read it, and do you think it is indeed better than yours?

2)Have you ever lived in London? I'm sure you've been there many times, but if it was the other way round' - if some outowner came to visit Tyneside every now and then, do you think he could fully grasp the city's heart as someone who lives there?
Im just asking cos Im curious about London, is there really not much merit to it besides red buses and rhyming slang? (I've only been there once, but that was years ago, so Im just curiuos)

3)Can you please post this picture :

Quote:
>>>>St. James' Park still stood there, proud and redundant; the birds still circled overhead, oblivious and stress-free; the grass was still intensely green in the sunshine; the stone lions still sat at either side like fiercely loyal guards, looking on into eternity.>>>>>>
I'd like to see the real image you visualized while writing this.
I hope you have the exact picture with the lions/Park and the right setting of the sun

4) This is the most important question :

We are all happy readers of this tale. But what about the most important reader?

Did you show it to her--to "she" ?

I dont mean it in a way of "lookie here, told ya I could publish a novel"....I mean simply that she may be interested to read a novel where shes one of the main characters

---
---

Anyway, you dont have to answer my questions if you dont fell like, 'specially if you're too busy writing your next story

Once again, SPLENDID work Capo - thank you for sharing!

"Come out and take it, you dirty, yellow-bellied rat, or I'll give it to you through the door!"

- James Cagney in "Taxi!" (1932)
Re: I've been published! #135856
11/15/05 12:14 PM
11/15/05 12:14 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Congrats Mick!! I'm sure it was a big thrill for you.

Birds overhead. Oblivious to the turmoil around and below them. I envied them endlessly; their freedom, their elegance, their ability to become art at any moment.

LOVE that line.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: I've been published! #135857
11/15/05 01:32 PM
11/15/05 01:32 PM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Btw, Mick, Tyneside is the place where the river Tyne flows, I understand?

Re: I've been published! #135858
11/15/05 02:04 PM
11/15/05 02:04 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Thank you for the kind words, folks.

Plaw, I did indeed grasp your biting wit in your post, and I knew you were joking. Or at least hoped. There's no need to overcompensate by actually copying and pasting a line with individual reference and praise. Liar. :p

Fame, to answer your questions:

1) A woman, older than I, who lives, I believe, in Ireland, won first prize. She's a history in writing, if nothing big. I've not read her story yet, but it's based around Christmas I know, by the title.

2) I've not been to London before; I just resent the fact that it is so commonly used as a cultural export to foreign countries, used as an insight to England and English life. There's more to us than the red buses you see in Hollywood films. I was also kind of challenging the judges when I was writing it: do you dare to publish a Notherner? They did.

3) The lush green is of Leazes Park. The stadium dwarfing it is St. James' Park, home to Newcastle United Football [soccer] Club. To the right of the picture would be the stone lions.

4) Yeah, she's read it. I spent some of my most finest, heart-pumping moments in that park, the setting of my story. I'm glad I got something out of it other than a kiss.

And as for the funded film, I have a short adaptation of Hans Christian Andersen's The Little Match Girl showing at the Northern Lights Film Festival closing gala, alongside Michael Winterbottom's The Cock and Bull Story.

JustMe, yeah, Tyneside is home to the River Tyne. On looking, if appearances mean anything, it is certainly one of the dirtiest rivers you can find.

Thanks again,
Mick

Re: I've been published! #135859
11/15/05 02:58 PM
11/15/05 02:58 PM
Top o' the World
Fame Offline
Underboss
Fame  Offline
Underboss
Top o' the World
Thanx a lot for answering capo, wont bother u with more questions

Cant see the pic, red x, or is it just on my end?

"Come out and take it, you dirty, yellow-bellied rat, or I'll give it to you through the door!"

- James Cagney in "Taxi!" (1932)
Re: I've been published! #135860
11/15/05 03:47 PM
11/15/05 03:47 PM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
JustMe, yeah, Tyneside is home to the River Tyne. On looking, if appearances mean anything, it is certainly one of the dirtiest rivers you can find.
The only association I have with the rive Tyne, is David II Bruce of Scotland, moving down its left bank in october 1346, and having vision of st Cuthbert, but still crossing Tyne, only to be defeated at Neville's Cross...
So how does the countryside look there? Hills and moors?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull