GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (m2w, Toodoped, 1 invisible), 747 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,583
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,537
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,460
Posts1,061,323
Members10,349
Most Online992
Jun 1st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Actors: Humphery Bogart #133415
10/20/05 09:15 PM
10/20/05 09:15 PM
Hell
Mike Sullivan Offline OP
Underboss
Mike Sullivan  Offline OP
Underboss
Hell
I originally posted this on the Movie Boards tonight. It's just a manifest of my feelings about Bogart and his greatest roles, and I decided that while I was at it, I might as well post it here.

Speaking to someone recently, they said Humphery Bogart wasn't so much of a great actor as just merly a great screen presence and that he was more an icon than a legitamate actor. I found that statement to have some truth to it. He was a great screen presance and no one before him (save for perhaps Chaplin and Cagney) or since (maybe Steve McQueen) can boast having such an arresting presence.

But I feel he was much more than than just an icon. The given is that an Icon is a compliment, however there are icons who are icons yet really aren't that great. Case and point... The Three Stooges.

Bogart was indeed the greatest actor to come from the era of old Hollywood, and I consider him the greatest actor ever. The most obvious examples I shall cite belong to "The Maltese Falcon" and "Casablanca", the films that have cemented the Bogart persona.

Well, let's look at "The Maltese Falcon", the father of the film-noir and perhaps the greatest example of that genre. Great film, great script that is truthful to Hammett's bok and an outstanding cast. But the basis of the book and the film is Samuel Sapde, the role that Bogart plays.

The book by Hammett was filmed twice before as a romantic comedy with Betty Davis (1936's Satan Met a Lady) and in 1931 as a small B-Movie titled "Dangerous Lady". Now, look at the clips of the leading men as they read the charecter of Sam Spade. Is laughable to read how they interpret him because they couldn't even geet a peg on him. It took for an actor of Bogart's inteligence, heart and bravoura to pull off that role. Any other actor would have either been too over-the-top or too underderstated. But not Bogie. Bogart got to the core of the man, presenting us with one of the screens greatest performances and bringing to us a great look into an enigmatic individual that is truly what one may call a "charecter".

I want to bring up what might be one of Bogart's greatest moments on film. The final ten minutes of the film where Sapde telles Brigid O'Shaunessey (Mary Astor) that she'll have to account for her crimes and that he's going to give the truth to the police. Just watch Bogart during that entire time. Look at his face, his voice and how he really glues us to the screen. That moment where he tells her about his obligation to his partner is really great. He's not paying her much mind as he is really just talking to the audience, giving us a glimpse into his now naked soul. And of course, as he stand up and delivers that line, "The stuff that Dreams are Made of". MAGNIFICENT!

Later on, Bogart pushes this Spade persona and tweeks it a little for the purposes of a little film that being directed by Michael Curtiz thats based on a Muray Burnett play. The result would be another one of Bogart's finest hours: Casablanca. Let's not be mistaken. This really isn't the Bogart of the previous film discussed. This is the Bogart that we all truly know and love: The Hardboiled cynic who'se dreams had been broken but were rekindled by his lost love who'm has returned to him by chance. Again, I tell you to just look at his face while he drinks after his Cafe has closed for the night. He's in the darkness with just his faithful friend, Sam; a piano, a tabletop and a bottle of whiskey. He's hurt, lost and confused and he conveys it so well.

And of course there's that iconic moment at the airfield as Rick Blane (Bogart's charecter) gets Ilsa Lund ( Ingrid Bergman) to get on the plane to accompany he husband to Libon and to freedom from Nazi Occupied Casablanca. He dominates that scene because he's now so self assured. he knows he's doing the right thing and is fueled by the goodness he tried to tell himself that was dead.

Those were the two obvious examples but I'd like to remind us all of a great, shining moment in the Bogart career when he drops his famous fedora wearing persona to be involved in a project for film-maker John Huston. "The Tresure of the Sierra Madre" might very well be the greatest staement about the evils of greed ever caught on film (Let's not forget von Stroheim's Greed).He pegs down the paranioa and the growing darkness that engulfs Fred C. Dobbs. We see him go mad. And essentially, we can say the same for one of Bogart's later roles in the magnificent film, "The Caine Mutiny".

Madness! Madness!
- Major Clipton
The Bridge On The River Kwai

GOLD - GOLD - GOLD - GOLD. Bright and Yellow, Hard and Cold, Molten, Graven, Hammered, Rolled, Hard to Get and Light to Hold; Stolen, Borrowed, Squandered - Doled.
- Greed

Nothing Is Written
Lawrence Of Arabia
Re: The Actors: Humphery Bogart #133416
10/20/05 10:55 PM
10/20/05 10:55 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Bravo Mike Sullivan, Bravo!

Superb article man....now didn't you say you were going to do an article on "Bird" Parker, or did I miss something?

Still, kickass column on Bogey, Sully.

Re: The Actors: Humphery Bogart #133417
10/21/05 04:48 AM
10/21/05 04:48 AM
Lavinia from Italy Offline
Underboss
Lavinia from Italy  Offline
Underboss
WOW, Mike! I'm full with admiration for your insightful thoughts about one of the most celebrated Hollywood stars! Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Sullivan:
He was a great screen presance and no one before him (save for perhaps Chaplin and Cagney) or since (maybe Steve McQueen) can boast having such an arresting presence.
I would add Brando! An icon AND a superb actor!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Sullivan:
Again, I tell you to just look at his face while he drinks after his Cafe has closed for the night. He's in the darkness with just his faithful friend, Sam; a piano, a tabletop and a bottle of whiskey. He's hurt, lost and confused and he conveys it so well.
WOW, I got shivers down my spine......that is in fact one of my fav scenes ever....His face....where can we find as much intensity, the same desperate look? I know I may sound partial, but...maybe just in Pacino!

Once again, Mike, thanks! And please, if you feel like discussing any other Hollywood golden age stars....DO IT!!!

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: The Actors: Humphery Bogart #133418
10/21/05 08:45 AM
10/21/05 08:45 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Without a doubt, Casablanca is my favorite film (ok, perhaps tied for first place with GF) and you described Bogart's portrayal of Rick to a T. Is there anything more heartbreakingly romantic when he tells her that she has to get on that plane? "Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon....and for the rest of your life." After countless viewings, it's still the most amazing scene.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull