GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 442 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,454
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,530
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,436
Posts1,060,937
Members10,349
Most Online992
Yesterday at 04:40 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Reading Bad Books #131620
10/06/05 09:43 AM
10/06/05 09:43 AM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline OP
MaryCas  Offline OP

South of the Pinelands
There have been topics here about good books we've read, but did you ever read a book (not a school assignment) that you didn’t like? I just finished a book that I would not recommend – “The Rule of Four”, by Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomason. I won’t go into a detailed review, but suffice it to say that it was advertised on its cover as a “New York Times Bestseller” and the back cover made reference to “not since the Da Vinci Code…..” and some other mystery book.

After the first 50 pages I was ready to call it quits, but I persisted; stubbornly saying to myself that I invested time and I was going to see it through. I finally finished it. It was pretentious, filled with unnecessary similes and metaphors and the storyline kept bogging down. I found myself saying, “yeah, so what.” The story was about four brainy Princeton guys, two of who were tying to unravel a mystery from a book written during the Renaissance.

I only read during my commute on the bus to NY. 15 minutes each way. But I look forward to passing the time that way. Now, I’m reading “Caddy For Life: the Bruce Edwards Story”. He was Tom Watson’s caddy for many years. Bruce died in April, 2004, 49 years old, from Lou Gehrig’s Disease.

So what crappy book have you read?

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Reading Bad Books #131621
10/06/05 09:53 AM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

There was a book called the Godfather i once read it was awful.

Only Kidding Guys

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Reading Bad Books #131622
Cheshire
*+*Magic Merlin*+* Offline
Wiseguy
*+*Magic Merlin*+*  Offline
Wiseguy
Cheshire
I don't mean any offence to anyone but I don't think any of you are in the right state of mind to critise others' book writing skill when you can't do it yourself no offence but it's a talent that very few have and none of you here have that talent so you shouldn't really be comment on there techniques and way of writing

Re: Reading Bad Books #131623
10/06/05 09:57 AM
10/06/05 09:57 AM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
Quote:
Originally posted by *+*Magic Merlin*+*:
I don't mean any offence to anyone but I don't think any of you are in the right state of mind to critise others' book writing skill when you can't do it yourself no offence but it's a talent that very few have and none of you here have that talent so you shouldn't really be comment on there techniques and way of writing
And, um...what qualifies you, someone who has only been here a few days, to suggest that no one on here has the talent to write a book?

Back to the topic, The Godfather Returns is utter rubbish, but I think that goes without saying.

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: Reading Bad Books #131624
10/06/05 09:59 AM
10/06/05 09:59 AM
Cheshire
Wiseguy
Wiseguy
Cheshire
No I didn't mean you haven't a talent to write a book I mean't you haven't written one. If you have the skill show it, I mean it doesn't take einstein to write a book.

Re: Reading Bad Books #131625
10/06/05 10:28 AM
10/06/05 10:28 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
I don't think any of you are in the right state of mind to critise others' book writing skill when you can't do it yourself it's a talent that very few have and none of you here have that talent so you shouldn't really be comment on there techniques and way of writing
Quote:
I did write my book myself.
Quote:
I mean it doesn't take einstein to write a book.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Reading Bad Books #131626
10/06/05 10:32 AM
10/06/05 10:32 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Now back to the topic at hand.

The book "We Only Kill Each Other," about Bugsy Siegel, was not an enjoyable book for me. As a matter of fact I couldn't even finish it. It was filled with such fake shit, and unfactual stuff, that I couldn't stand it.

GF Returns was a really tough book to get through. After putting it down halfway through, it took me 9 months to pick it up again and finish it. It was torture, like having to finish a book assignment from my school days.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Reading Bad Books #131627
10/06/05 10:57 AM
10/06/05 10:57 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Aside from GF Returns, I would have to say the book that I was most disappointed in was Tom Wolfe's A Man in Full. Having enjoyed Bonfire of the Vanities, I honestly did NOT like A Man in Full, and couldn't even finish it, which is unusual for me. I've also enjoyed Caleb Carr's books, which are historical fiction set in NYC. He doesn't publish very often, so when a new book of his came out, I eagerly took it out of the library. I don't think I got past the first 50 pages. It was terrible. And I honestly can't even remember the title.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Reading Bad Books #131628
10/06/05 11:24 AM
10/06/05 11:24 AM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline OP
MaryCas  Offline OP

South of the Pinelands
Quote:
...I don't think any of you are in the right state of mind to critise others' book writing skill ....none of you here have that talent so you shouldn't really be comment on there techniques and way of writing
I beg to differ with your assessment of this topic. Books, especially fiction are read for entertainment and enlightenment (among many other reasons). If I find a book is not to my liking, that is MY OPINION. It has nothing to do with being in the "right state of mind". And as far as making a statement that "none of you here have the talent", well, that doesn't even deserve a comment.

As a matter of fact, Merlin, this will be the last time I respond to any of your posts as I don't feel your contribution to any topic here is worth responding to.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Reading Bad Books #131629
10/06/05 11:27 AM
10/06/05 11:27 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
We've got a stone in our shoe.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: Reading Bad Books #131630
10/06/05 11:41 AM
10/06/05 11:41 AM
The Bright Side Of The Road
S
Senza Mama Offline
Underboss
Senza Mama  Offline
S
Underboss
The Bright Side Of The Road
A book called "Hush" by Anne Frasier. I finished it but it was a struggle.

While studying French at college I once voluntarily read "Madame Bovary". I lasted about 50 pages.

But the shortest read was (although it was a book on our college course) L'Etre et Le Neant (Being and Nothingness) by Jean Paul Sartre. I got three quarters of the way down the second page before tossing it aside.

Tom: "They shot Sonny on the causeway...he's dead."
Michael: "Turnbull is a good man"
Shane MacGowan: "It was Christmas Eve babe, in the drunk tank"
Re: Reading Bad Books #131631
10/06/05 01:18 PM
10/06/05 01:18 PM
under there
bogey Offline
Underboss
bogey  Offline
Underboss
under there
Quote:
it's a talent that very few have and none of you here have that talent
And you've been here.. how long?

President of the long_lost_corleone Fan Club
Re: Reading Bad Books #131632
10/06/05 01:22 PM
10/06/05 01:22 PM
under there
bogey Offline
Underboss
bogey  Offline
Underboss
under there
On topic -

I read The Rule of Four.. and I know what you mean, MaryCas.. it kind of dragged on.. and on.. and on. I really had to force myself to finish it because I hate not finishing books. Even if they're terrible.

President of the long_lost_corleone Fan Club
Re: Reading Bad Books #131633
10/06/05 01:23 PM
10/06/05 01:23 PM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Merlin,
If you read more topics from the glorious past of "The Godfather Trilogy" section on this board, you will find out that we have members here who definitely HAVE the talent. And be careful - it's easy to hurt people.

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.
Re: Reading Bad Books #131634
10/06/05 01:36 PM
10/06/05 01:36 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

I used to think that if I bought a book I had to read it all the way through no matter what, no longer. If I am halfway through it and hate it, I just put it away. The Rule of Four was awful, but I did read the last chapters just to find out what happend. The last real disappointment for me was the last book in Cormac McCarthy's border trilogy... Cities of the Plains or something. It was not as good as the first two.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Reading Bad Books #131635
10/06/05 01:46 PM
10/06/05 01:46 PM
The 5th circle of hell
Don Smitty Offline
Underboss
Don Smitty  Offline
Underboss
The 5th circle of hell
Quote:
I don't think any of you are in the right state of mind to critise others' book writing skill when you can't do it yourself no offence but it's a talent that very few have and none of you here have that talent so you shouldn't really be comment on there techniques and way of writing
Who the hell do you think you are? Your still wet behind the ears here. Who the hell are you to make coments like that about us?

This guy is a joke. :rolleyes:

DS

I woke up this morning with nothing to do and went to bed with only half of it done.

http://attacked911.tripod.com/
http://www.stjude.org/
Re: Reading Bad Books #131636
10/06/05 01:50 PM
10/06/05 01:50 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline OP
MaryCas  Offline OP

South of the Pinelands
Quote:
Originally posted by bogey:
On topic -

I read The Rule of Four.. and I know what you mean, MaryCas.. it kind of dragged on.. and on.. and on. I really had to force myself to finish it because I hate not finishing books. Even if they're terrible.
Thanks Bogey and dontomasso, I was hoping it wasn't me having a mid-life intelligence crisis.

Re: Reading Bad Books #131637
10/06/05 02:47 PM
10/06/05 02:47 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
Quote:
none of you here have that talent
I beg to differ with you but our very own Plawrence has a incredible amount of talent. He has proved that over and over. Just read what he has done so far in his GF novel and you will see for yourself.

On topic-
GF returns. It took me 8 months to read it.

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: Reading Bad Books #131638
10/06/05 02:55 PM
10/06/05 02:55 PM
Cheshire
Wiseguy
Wiseguy
Cheshire
I have written books and I am not trying to put any of you down I'm just saying if you have talent show it. Somehow I don't think any gangsters would be in here because that would be absord because they like to keep a low down so they don't get discovered and I know what you mean by "who have talent so be careful" you must think I'm stupid well you're wrong

Re: Reading Bad Books #131639
10/06/05 03:06 PM
10/06/05 03:06 PM
Folsom Prison
DonFerro55 Offline
Underboss
DonFerro55  Offline
Underboss
Folsom Prison
Merlin,

I don't know what the hell you are trying to say here. I can't even grasp any concept. So I'm not going to bother. You, of all people, should not be telling us anything about writing whatsoever because you have one of the worst grasps on writing I have ever seen. Good books would not exist unless people had opinions on them. The public decides how good a book is, not an author. An author may have an opinion on what their best work is, but it certainly does not mean that it's true. Anthony Burgess thought A Clockwork Orange was one of his worst books, and I LOVE it!

Anyways, a really bad book was The Painted Veil by F. Sommerset Maughm. Holy shit, what a lame ass "dainty" story.

The Doc

P.S. Hemingway's worst novel was considered to be To Have and Have Not. I read it and liked it tremendously. I suggest it to all.

And you liar, teller of tall tales: you trample all the Lord's commandments underfoot, you murder, steal, commit adultery, and afterward break into tears, beat your breast, take down your guitar and turn sin into a song. Shrewd devil, you know very well that God pardons singers no matter what they do, because he can simply die for a song.
Re: Reading Bad Books #131640
10/06/05 03:27 PM
10/06/05 03:27 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DonFerro55:
[QB] Merlin,

I don't know what the hell you are trying to say here. I can't even grasp any concept. So I'm not going to bother. You, of all people, should not be telling us anything about writing whatsoever because you have one of the worst grasps on writing I have ever seen.

And it can't spell "absurd" either.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Reading Bad Books #131641
10/06/05 04:17 PM
10/06/05 04:17 PM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL
Quote:
...and none of you here have that talent so you shouldn't really be comment on there techniques and way of writing
In your next post you say:

Quote:
Originally posted by *+*Magic Merlin*+*
No I didn't mean you haven't a talent to write a book I mean't you haven't written one. If you have the skill show it, I mean it doesn't take einstein to write a book.
Umm, so if you haven't written a book you don't have talent?

Who are you to criticise us? You obviously haven't read anything in the Godfather IV section and PLawrence's dis-continued Godfather novel.

Well, than again, you've only been here TWO WHOLE DAYS! :rolleyes:

Hey, how's it going?

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull