GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Irishman12, Millspgh), 590 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,796
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,357
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,528
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,417
Posts1,060,578
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mike's Music Muzings: Duke Ellington #125074
08/22/05 11:07 AM
08/22/05 11:07 AM
Hell
Mike Sullivan Offline OP
Underboss
Mike Sullivan  Offline OP
Underboss
Hell
He was the epitomy of cool, advancing jazz further than almost any artist. Sure, Lous Armstrong might have been adding emotion and range to his coronet and trumpet along with others like Bessie Smith but Ellington introduced that suave, debonaire part of jazz which would later evolve into the begining of the swing era and into further developments like Be-bop.

With writters like Billy Strayhorn, Ellington's alter ego, Ellington helped to define the era of the Harlem Rennasaince and the Swing Age and further, giving him a career that lasted for exactly fifty years.

Edward K. Ellington gained his nick name because of the clothing he wore. Someone said that with those fancy clothes on he looked like a "Duke" and the name stuck throughout his life. It is about this time that he dwells in Harlem, composing his "Jungle Music" as it was oftenly refered to.

Although he was a very happy man, he also had a sadness to him no doubt contributed to the loss of his mother who he loved dearly and lived with during his early years as a musician. Regardless, this served as the platform for his first great hits such as "Mood Indigo", "Solitude" and others.

As time progressed, Duke's music found it's way into the Ballrooms of the Area like the Savoy, and into the airwaves where the American people were first exposed to this man who I belive inspired the Swing Era. Although not a big celebrity amoung whites, he garnessed acclaim for black critics and as time came along he gained the respect of the whites who had wrongly over sought his contribution to popular music.

With Billy Strayhorn, Ellington went further with performances of masterpieces like "Lush Life" and "Take the 'A' Train". Although he lost poularity through the late 1940's and early 1950's, Ellington made it through and then gave one of the virtuoso jazz performances at the newport Jazz Festival in 1956 putting his band on top and setting him up for a fne career afterwards working with artists like Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra and others in albums of theirs.

Madness! Madness!
- Major Clipton
The Bridge On The River Kwai

GOLD - GOLD - GOLD - GOLD. Bright and Yellow, Hard and Cold, Molten, Graven, Hammered, Rolled, Hard to Get and Light to Hold; Stolen, Borrowed, Squandered - Doled.
- Greed

Nothing Is Written
Lawrence Of Arabia
Re: Mike's Music Muzings: Duke Ellington #125075
08/22/05 11:22 AM
08/22/05 11:22 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Yet another great column Sully. Can't wait to read your next.

The Duke was a legend of his time, genre, and of course for eternity.

Re: Mike's Music Muzings: Duke Ellington #125076
08/22/05 11:40 AM
08/22/05 11:40 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I remember reading somewhere that listening to Duke Ellington was like sipping a very fine syrup all night, an excellent, elegant way to spend an evening.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Mike's Music Muzings: Duke Ellington #125077
08/23/05 03:12 AM
08/23/05 03:12 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Ellington was the American Beethoven--a nonpareil composer and instrumentalist with a broad vision and a symphonic way of expressing jazz--and especially blues. No matter how complex and elegant his compositions, he never strayed far from the blues. "Mood Indigo" and "Sophisticated Ladies" express his metier perfectly.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Mike's Music Muzings: Duke Ellington #125078
08/23/05 01:49 PM
08/23/05 01:49 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
No argument from me TB, but is he WAS the American Beethoven, then Bobby Short was the American Chopin.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Mike's Music Muzings: Duke Ellington #125079
08/23/05 11:18 PM
08/23/05 11:18 PM
Hell
Mike Sullivan Offline OP
Underboss
Mike Sullivan  Offline OP
Underboss
Hell
I'll have to venture and say that Gershwin was the American Motzart then. I think without him, Jazz wouldn't of had as much popular acceptance as it recived in the middle 1920's. Regardless, I do feel that Ellington is one of the fathers of pure American music.

Madness! Madness!
- Major Clipton
The Bridge On The River Kwai

GOLD - GOLD - GOLD - GOLD. Bright and Yellow, Hard and Cold, Molten, Graven, Hammered, Rolled, Hard to Get and Light to Hold; Stolen, Borrowed, Squandered - Doled.
- Greed

Nothing Is Written
Lawrence Of Arabia

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull