GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 656 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,962
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,671
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,544
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,492
Posts1,061,850
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
RRA's Random Movie Awards of 2005....SO FAR #124413
08/18/05 02:47 AM
08/18/05 02:47 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline OP
ronnierocketAGO  Offline OP
R

East Tennessee
With the anal-scrapping days of August almost over, 8 months have gone by, so before we get into many cool promising movies from September to the Oscar-Bait season of December, here are my Awards(so-far for the year):

BEST COMIC BOOK FILM

Nominees:

SIN CITY - Visually stunning and faithful adaptation of Frank Miller's legendary graphic novel world of the very corrupt town of Basin City and its many...interesting...characters who reside in it. Besides becoming finally the first movie I've seen that truely emotes the cornea-storytelling of comic books, its also pretty damn enjoyable in a crime pulp-ish fast food kind of cinematic experience.

BATMAN BEGINS - Christopher Nolan already has a notable rep with movie fans and critics for his already-legendary MEMENTO and the pretty good studio thriller INSOMNIA(with THREE Oscar-winning leads). However, Nolan was given the reigns to relaunch perhaps one half of DC Comics' crown jewels(other of course being SUPERMAN) over at Warner Brothers, with a really good budget reportedly from $120-150 million, and lots of pimping from websites across the internet.

What we have now is not only the best damn movie of the summer byfar, its among my top picks for the best film of the year. Superb comic book storytelling using editing, really great acting from its cast(save maybe for Katie Holmes), and to me truely created the one true origin tale for the Dark Knight(sorry Mr. Burton!)

CONSTANTINE - Unlike the others, this is the most basic studio blockbuster-formulaic action/adventure film of the nominees, yet is still finds ways to be quite enjoyable to me, and ultimately a solid movie. Based on the legendary DC/Vertigo comics title HELLBLAZER, directing rookie Francis Lawrence churns out a good movie without over-editing or over-directing, as former Music Video-helmers like Stephen Norrington and Michael Bay have been known to do. Folks, Lawrence is a man of a good visual eye with the camera that is quite promising as a director, and can't wait to see what other movies he directs for Hollywood in the future.

AND THE WINNER IS....

BATMAN BEGINS! - While SIN CITY came *this* close to taking the prize away from Warner Brothers' tent-pole movie of the summer, I ultimately gave the prize to BATMAN BEGINS simply because for overall a superior movie and because....sorry, but as a BATMAN fan as a kid, to see the character finally done right in a film with intelligence and respect, this takes home the trophy. CONSTANTINE's prize is simply to be a worthy nominee on this list.

WORST COMIC BOOK FILM

Nominees:

THE FANTASTIC FOUR - Okay, we get the long-awaited movie adaptation of the first hit-MARVEL comic, and the self-proclaimed "World's Greatest Comic"....and in a year of such good movies I've just written about, this just rucks of talent-less creators making a bastard creation of several previous hit-comic book movies like SPIDER-MAN and X-MEN, except not working as well as those two did...by a long shot. "Flame On!" should be the rallying call of outraged movie audiences stuck with this turkey as they take all availble film prints and burn them in glorius bon fires.

ELEKTRA - First we got stuck with the very mediocre as friggin hell DAREDEVIL last year...and FOX still decided that the best decision now was to make a spin-off of the very lame character in that movie as acted by the very Affleck-impregnated Jennifer Garner. Unfortunately, its no better than DAREDEVIL in terms of how easily bored I was within 15 minutes of watching this film. If I want to see Garner fly around and do her martial arts nonsense, she should stay on the tube with her hit ALIAS TV series.

AND THE WINNER IS....

THE FANTASTIC FOUR - Sure, ELEKTRA bored me because it was mediocre to the capital "M". THE FANTASTIC FOUR was just plan Fantastically shitty! Really, the fact that this movie was a hit makes me wonder if the usual retarded Joe SixPack and Cindy Wonderbra white trash folks instead mistakenly saw this film instead of Michael Bay's THE ISLAND. It would explain a whole lot of questions for me!

MOVIES THAT SO-FAR ARE OSCAR CONTENDERS:

CRASH - Pretty Good film, if only I think its slightly overrated. Neverless, its real positive buzz with audiences and critics(not to mention its rated #65 already on IMDB.com's Top 250 Movies list!) makes this an early grassroots Oscar-contender. Who knows, maybe Don Cheadle will win the Best Actor Oscar this year, as he was beaten last year by STEALTH's own Jamie Foxx. POSSIBLE OSCAR NOMINATIONS - Best Picture, Acting categories, etc.

SIN CITY - Wouldn't it be sweet if this sucker kicked ass at the Oscars? Of course it wouldn't. The Academy plays safe so much these days, its pathetic. Anyway, I see SIN CITY getting many technical nominations and hell, maybe even a win. POSSIBLE OSCAR NOMINATIONS - Best Art Direction/Cinematography/Make-Up.

BIGGEST LOSERS OF THE YEAR

Nominees:

MICHAEL BAY - After directing several mega-blockbuster hit films, all of which have gained much deserved hate from many reviewers, Bay finally falls on his ass for the rest of Hollywood and the world to laugh at him. While THE ISLAND may infact make up its $120+ million budget with the suckers that live overseas, Bay's movie got outgrossed in America by a low-budget Penguin documentary from France.

ROB COHEN - Veteran hack director that while haven't directing as many hits as Bay, hes still as ruthless to moviefans. His career got huge steroid-esque boasts with the box-office hits THE FAST & THE FURIOUS and XXX(both crappy, but thats for another day). Cohen's $120 million STEALTH movie bombed not just in America, but overseas as well. Finally, Cohen will probably go back to directing small studio fluffer genre films as he did before teaming up with Vin Diesel...

THE GREAT RAID - An $80 million war movie from Miramax that was shelved for over 3 years after principal photography ended before finally released this past weekend, and like Pearl Harbor back in 1941, it got bombed. Combine an additional $20 million that Disney spent to try to promote the hell out of the film(among their last with Miramax before both companies divorced financially), and the movie only grosses $3 million. Yikes!

AND THE WINNER IS...

MICHAEL BAY - While Cohen's movie has lost more money for its studio world-wide than Bay's movie, Cohen is of sorts many of the hired-gun hacks in Hollywood that while most agree that he lacks talent, nobody ultimately gives a shit about him. But Mikey Bay, almost a billion bucks he made under Jerry Bruckheimer, is a hot dog dickhead director in Hollywood. The fact that he has a movie tank in his self-described "Middle America" means perhaps....perhaps...that people are finally tired of his crap. Besides, THE GREAT RAID now can room with another big-budget mediocre war flop in WINDTALKERS in the University of Obscurity. Nice campus it is!

More awards to come later today, like....BEST MOVIE OF THE SUMMER....

Re: RRA's Random Movie Awards of 2005....SO FAR #124414
08/18/05 06:20 AM
08/18/05 06:20 AM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by ronnierocketAGO:
More awards to come later today, like....BEST MOVIE OF THE SUMMER....

Hey, how's it going?
Re: RRA's Random Movie Awards of 2005....SO FAR #124415
08/18/05 03:18 PM
08/18/05 03:18 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
All of these are so far, of course. I lack foresight, even in Film.

Best Film
War of the Worlds

Best Director
Steven Spielberg - War of the Worlds

Best Actor
Tom Cruise - War of the Worlds

Best Actress
Miranda July - Me and You and Everyone We Know

Best Supporting Actor
Don Cheadle - Crash

Best Supporting Actress
Dakota Fanning - War of the Worlds

Best Cinematography
Sin City (Robert Rodriguez)

Best Editing
War of the Worlds (Michael Kahn)

Mick

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: RRA's Random Movie Awards of 2005....SO FAR #124416
08/19/05 09:55 PM
08/19/05 09:55 PM
Some anonymous motel room.
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

I'll hold out on my picks for now, since there's still several months left.

However, between the comic books, Batman Begins is definitely better then Sin City.

Batman Begins - ***1/2
Sin City - ***

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006
Re: RRA's Random Movie Awards of 2005....SO FAR #124417
08/19/05 11:15 PM
08/19/05 11:15 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Star Wars wins the award for "Movie Running So Long I Regretted Not Taking a Piss Beforehand"

Re: RRA's Random Movie Awards of 2005....SO FAR #124418
08/19/05 11:42 PM
08/19/05 11:42 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline OP
ronnierocketAGO  Offline OP
R

East Tennessee
BEST MOVIE OF THE SUMMER

Nominees:

BATMAN BEGINS - Read what I've posted above.

WAR OF THE WORLDS - Spielberg, the creator of the "Summer Blockbuster", churns out another mega-summer box-office hit with a solid movie, if running out of gas by the end, and had to deal with the Cruise-circus(though it looks as if that mess didn't hurt the movie at all).

LAND OF THE DEAD - Solid 4th entry in Romero's multi-decade DEAD franchise that proves the old man from Pittsburgh still has what it takes to make a damn movie!

THE DEVIL'S REJECTS - Wildly entertaining and fun sequel from Rob Zombie's previous film HOUSE OF 1,000 CORPSES, that displays a filmmaker who's improved so much, and hell, hes a promising "ballsy" director in Hollywood, something we need more of in that town.

EPISODE III: REVENGE OF THE SITH - While I didn't give a flip about this or most STAR WARS movies, I still gotta nominate it, if only because its f*cking STAR WARS.

CHARLIE & THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY - Imaginitive fairy tale, with candy, from Tim Burton that is fun, amusing, stylish, and well, finger-licking good I guess(I hate it when I use crappy puns!)

MR. & MRS. SMITH - Decent if mostly loud and fast-moving flick that was a mega-hit this summer.

AND THE WINNER IS.....

BATMAN BEGINS - Duh! The only movie this summer that I can safely say that I actually hope a *sequel* is made.

Re: RRA's Random Movie Awards of 2005....SO FAR #124419
08/21/05 07:05 AM
08/21/05 07:05 AM
Dublin, Ireland
Vito's Legacy Offline
'Family' Man
Vito's Legacy  Offline
'Family' Man
Capo
Dublin, Ireland
Man, I've see so many films new and old this year, and so many I still need to see, (The Avaiator,Alexander, The Machinist etc.), but I'd have to say I'd go for Batman Begins for Best Film I've so seen so far, and probably War of the Worlds as the most disappointing. Sin City was also utterly inspired in terms of it's visual devices.

"Mr. Corleone is a man who insists on hearing bad news immediately..." wink
Re: RRA's Random Movie Awards of 2005....SO FAR #124420
08/21/05 11:13 AM
08/21/05 11:13 AM
New York
raggingbull2003 Offline
Underboss
raggingbull2003  Offline
Underboss
New York
Batman Begins beats Sin City? Are you crazy?

"You can shear a sheep many times, but you can skin him only once."
-Amarillo Slim
Re: RRA's Random Movie Awards of 2005....SO FAR #124421
08/21/05 11:34 AM
08/21/05 11:34 AM
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by raggingbull2003:
Batman Begins beats Sin City? Are you crazy?
Uh, no. Sin City was very good and immensely entertaining, but VERY overrated both here and at IMDB. It is not the masterpiece every raved about, not even close to being one.

Batman Begins goes deeper into it's protagonist then any other comic book film. Nolan also makes the film better by filming Gotham City with a Blade Runner style. The sets are built, and the CGI scenes that ARE in the movie aren't even noticeable. While Sin City had it's great visuals, I still got annoyed with the CGI cars and car crashes, which looked too corny to enjoy.

Batman Begins is about it's character, Sin City about the style above everything else. The former is more significant.

What makes it better then Batman Begins?

Quote:
In short, Sin City is the most kick ass, carnage filled movie I have ever wittnessed... Ever. It is like the writers were writing and all the while asking themselves, "What would every guy in America like to see right now?" And in every scene, it delivers. From Mickey Rourke and Bruce Willis tearing ass, to half naked Rosario Dawson holding a smokin machine gun...
Oh yeah, the guys at school said the same.

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull